It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
(female)

KArast HB User
Question What's the typical course of this thing (VN)??

About two weeks ago (s/p getting over 2 URIs in the Fall) my head didn't feel quite right, very heavy and had some trouble focusing my eyes-as though fighting off a virus and being extremely over tired. A week later I experienced a dizzy spell while at work-came on suddenly and I had to sit for a while lest I fall over. I attributed it to overwork in a crazy environment with no time for a supper break (I'm an RN). I felt OK the rest of the night but experienced more transient dizziness last Sunday. I had that same creepy feeling in my head like I'd better go to bed early and hopefully ward off yet another seasonal virus.

Monday morning comes, I open my eyes, lift my head a few inches from the pillow and the room is spinning-I feel the need to vomit so I attempt out of bed but fall to my knees in a cold sweat and begin to dry heave. My husband helps me back to bed where I spend most of my time the next three days battling dizziness although the worst of it (vertigo and nausea) has passed. I call my GP and she suggests Labyrinthitis and says to try an anti-histamine or decongestant.....and wait it out. Day 4 I manage to sit myself at the computer and do some research on this disorder. I'm able to walk without holding onto things but my gait is very unsteady with a "sick headache". The dizziness worsens with sudden movements of my head-espcially upwards. I find this site on the internet which has "sticky posts" that direct me to some informative articles by a Cain MD. I'm pleased to see that yes, I must have a viral infection of my inner ear and it "typically lasts for 3 wks although it could go longer." I start reading some posts by folks who've obviously been regulars on this site for a long time and I become alarmed..... Does VN typically go on for months....even yrs....or are the poor people here who're writing these posts the minority who are stuck fighting these nasty lingering symptoms for who knows how long?

My gait at day 6 is slightly more steady ( I actually walked my dog today!) but my head feels like it's on another planet----or I OD'd on way too much cold medicine....here, but not here. I also started a 4 days regime of a medraol pack today. I also wonder if I'm not improving but my brain is just getting used to that off balance feeling.

If I continue to "improve" the way I've been....maybe 10%/day-I hope to feel "normal by week 3".......but I wonder if I'm done progressing and I'm going to have to get used to feeling so out of sorts and off balance for a long time to come(?)

Did anyone have an initial course like mine and get "stuck" in improving....? Does anyone know anyone who actually DOES feel normal in less than a months time?

Any support/info would be much appreciated. Sorry for so long and thank to those who've reached the end

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Re: What's the typical course of this thing (VN)??

Sorry you are going through this mess. From being on this board and what I noticed, most people who recover in a few weeks are not on here. We are the unlucky ones whose been dealing with this from months to years are here. But many do recover, although it took a very long time too. You sound like you are doing well, hopefully you will only have this for a few weeks.

I've have recovered from this, but took me about 21 months to do so. I still have small symptoms here and there, but they are fading away. Don't think that you will have it as long as we do on this board. Most people, get better fairly quickly!

Everybody is different with this inner ear thing. As long as you see improvement that is great!

Wish you the best!
Cathy

Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Hey there. Cathy is right on with her feedback. Most people do recover very quickly, 2 weeks to a couple of months. Even those people may have some sensitivity to motion for a little longer, but no big deal. Like Cathy, it took me about 20 months to recover, but this is not the norm.

One thing to get started with to speed up your recovery is the vestibular rehab exercises. The sooner you start them the better. On the sticky section there's info on that. You can also search for a thread "Charlotte's VRTs" and they are all listed on there. Just don't do them all to start! Walking your dog is also a great way to get the systems back in gear.

Wishing you a SPEEDY recovery!
Joni

Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

KArast HB User
Thumbs up Re: What's the typical course of this thing (VN)??

Thanks Cathy and Joni for your helpful supportive responses! I tried some of the VRTs listed. I don't seem to have problem with visual issues like following a letter on a moving card, but oh boy....standing on one leg isn't easy when it always was before. I can do a few seconds on one leg-close my eyes however, and I topple over

How far along in your recovery were you able to do things like stand toe to heel or life one leg with your eyes closed?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

Last edited by KArast; 12-09-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Hi there. My recovery was up and down, but initially it took prob a month to stand heel toe with eyes closed for a few seconds.

The gaze stabilization exercise is the most important one, so try it again or make it more difficult and see if that is harder for you. This is the one where you look at a letter on a business card, hold the card still and turn your head side to side. The key is to keep the letter in focus. If this is easy, try it moving the card to the right as your head goes to the left and the same the other direction. To make either of these harder, put a busy background like a checkerboard on the wall behind the card. You can also combine these with the balance exercises: standing on one leg, heel-toe, standing on a pillow.

Good luck!
Joni

Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
(female)

KArast HB User

Just a quick update.....I think this thing is finally behind me. I started feeling "normal" about 10 days ago which would make my viral VN about a month in duration. The last of my symptoms, (foggy head) has finally cleared. I hope this offers hope to some newbies who fear their symptoms will continue for several months. I think the majority of VN cases do end within a month but you don't see many postings from the short term cases here. Thanks to those who've offered their support and best wishes to those still suffering.

Closed Thread