It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
(male)

Cicero2000 HB User
Anesthesia and vestibular dysfunction

I have been suffering from a bad vestibular dysfunction for 10 months. I have seen a number of doctors and went through the battery of tests. The caloric test showed that I have a 36% Paresis in my left vestibular function. On the advice of Scottsman and others (reading these boards) I went on Lexapro for the associated anxiety that was very difficult for me. As promised, the Lexapro helped me out a great deal. I was able to go to work more regulerly and begin to work out again.

My primary question to you is whether anyone has any knowlege on anesthesia and vestibular dysfunction. I am scheuled for a three hour abdominal surgery in next week. The surgery is fairly routine so I am not that concerned about it. I am most concerned on how my vestibular dysfunction will react to the types of anesthesia they may use. I have heard that anesthia can be tough on your neurology and you inner ear. Does anyone have thoughts or research on this? Also is one type of anesthia better than the others (ie., General versus spinal (epidural) with twilight sleep)?

Charlotte responed on another thread that she had what I believe was general anesthesia and made it though ok. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice?

Any thoughts that you may have would be very helpful to me. I am getting pretty scared at the thought of going under with my condition.

Thanks in advance and thank you for all of your great support throughout the year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User
Re: Anesthesia and vestibular dysfunction

Hey Cicero,

I can't help you with your specific concerns but I can tell you this. I had an upper endoscopy last week during which (or before...) they gave me a shot that sort of put me to sleep. It's not real anesthesia though. I was scared to death of being put to sleep because of the vestibular problem. Looking back, I think it was mostly because I was worried that I wouldn't have control over my body so if I became dizzy, I wouldn't be able to do anything to make it stop, i.e. sit up, open my eyes, hold on to something.

Happy to report that whatever they gave me did knock me out and had zero effect on my dizziness problems. As a matter of act, I felt pretty damn good all day.

So I can't answer your questions about which type of anesthesia is best but you can probably tell your doctors in advance so that they're aware of your problems. And to back up Charlotte's experience, I had no issues with being put to sleep either. Don't worry. You'll be fine and might even be better.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

I guess it depends on how it will work... Usually this stuff works just like valium, only stronger. It dampens your nervous system response and the pain receptors so you dont feel anything. This means that your Vestibular sSystem may be knocked out temporarily.... You may feelbad for a few days afterward -- maybe like going out and getting Drunk.. However This is just my thoughts.. Not proven in any way.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Hey Tummy,

I agree with your theory. That's how it seemed to work for me. I felt like I was on a strong dose of xanax all day; no dizziness or anything related at all. It was nice! Didn't feel bad the next day either.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
(female)

rozbel HB User

had general anaesthetic 9 days ago the worst bit was waking up as they had laid me flat so that when i woke up i was spinning and this caused me to panic big time, so if this is a problem for u let them know as i didn't. as for the dizziness i found it worse for a few days, but that could have been the morphine that i'd been given. i have taken stugeron everyday to counteract my dizziness. i am reducing the dose slowly to see what happens, as intially my vertigo was worse. this is only my experience and everyone is different, so tell the doctors your concerns. i wish i had thought to do so as before i went home the nurse finally realised that i felt sick and dizzy and gave me something for it.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
(male)

Cicero2000 HB User

Thank you Rozbel. Sipa and Tummy2 for sharing your thoughts and your experieces. I think that I will try to have this surgery without General anesthesia but instead with an epidural (which is a regional block) and twilight sleep. Sipa, you had mentioned that they gave you a shot that was not general anesthesia but knocked you out. I believe that this is what they call twighlight sleep. It is a combination of two medications, Phentynyl and Versed. My understanding is that these are both in the benzodiazpiem family which would make them similar to Xanax or Valium. Xanax has worked great during acute vestibular attacks in quieting down my system so I figure that this may be a suitable way to put me out. The Epidural is the anesthetic for the surgery.

I have heard that General Anesthesia is much more disruptive to all systems of your body including the Vestibular system. To your point Rozbel, this occurs after the anesthesia wears off. Patients tend to get dizzy and nauseas which may last several days. I would really like to stay away from this type of anesthesia.

Thank you for all of your comments and support. My best to you during theis Holiday season.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

That might have been it. I certainly felt very similar to being on xanax. Just a mega-dose. They also added something to induce temporary amnesia........

I say talk to your doctors before the procedure. If they can just put you to sleep with those drugs, you'll be absolutely fine. You'll likely feel pretty damn good when you wake up, lol.

General anesthesia isn't fun, ever. I've been put under 4 times as a kid (broken ankles,) and felt pretty bad afterwards. It's just not a pleasant experience. By no means OMGHORRIBLE, but something I'd avoid if at all possible. The drug-induced sleep on the other hand.......

Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
(male)

Cicero2000 HB User

Just wanted to update everyone on my surgery and anesthesia as you were all so kind to share with me your experiences. I underwent the surgery two weeks ago and everything well with the anesthesia. Because of the length of the surgery the anesthesiologist felt that I should go under General. I was nervous but it went great with no problems afterwards.

Thanks Again for all of your thoughts and words of encouragement.

Closed Thread