It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Dizziness = Low Estradiol

Hello dizzy friends! I haven't posted here in a while. I started researching hormone imbalance a while back when the "inner ear" thing didn't clear up and sure enough, I have started a low dose of estradiol gel several weeks ago and have felt perfectly normal for the first time since this crud started a year ago. It is so weird, yet SO welcome to feel my old self again. The dizziness, anxiety, headaches, et al are completely gone. And believe me, if you read my past posts they explain exactly what lots of you are experiencing on a daily basis - dizziness, off balance, heavy head, pulling towards the ground, zapping/tingling, migraine headaches, nausea, fatigue, unrelenting exhaustion, etc...

I am elated, although quite disappointed that NONE of the doctors that I have seen throughout this ordeal ever even mentioned "hormones", "perimenopause", "menopause", "low estrogen" or anything of the like - maybe because of my age and being too young for menopause, who knows. So if you haven't already done so, please get your hormone levels checked out. You might think you are too young, but you're not! In my case, my estradiol level was very low at 21 (should be closer to 80 at the lowest). This can cause numerous neurological problems, which it did. So when I started taking the supplemental bioidential stuff at a very low dose, it is slowly bringing my levels up and making me feel alive again. And yes, men have hormones too - we ALL do. Hormones sustain life and if they are out of whack, so is your life/health!

So just a word to the wise (especially those women here who keep getting recurring episodes of this junk), get your hormone levels checked and do alot of reading up. Looking back I wish I had done this sooner!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missy7777 For This Useful Post:
dyaba10 (09-11-2012), Nirvana74 (07-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Re: Dizziness = Low Estradiol

Wonderful news Missy. I know you mentioned this before. It is wonderful you got to the bottom of your situation. I am curious, what kind of doctor did you see that sat down and listened to your request to have your hormone levels tested? Me and a friend of mine who gets horrible migraines were discussing this but were clueless on what kind of doctor understands hormonal stuff.

Good job and thanks for posting; it is an interesting thread and it makes me wonder about the women that come on here after having a baby. I know after my son was born I had post partum thyroiditis that ended up becoming permenant hypothyroidism. I had it for a few years and was controlled with meds prior to my virus and allergic reaction to an anti biotic that bestowed this crap on me.

Best,
Gloria

Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mnsk HB User

i found out i am lacking progesterone and 2 months ago i started using a progesterone cream and my last period I had no headache like i usually do,
first time in years !!!

so yes its possible hormones play a role .
do you use a cream ?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Aw yes, the question of what doctor to see. It's a good question indeed. Basically you will want to see your OB/GYN doctor. ANd it would be preferable if it is a woman, who is in her 40's or 50's who understands menopause and hormone imbalance. Be forewarned - most doctors do not specialize in hormones and may object to taking any "hormone therapy" because of the breast cancer scare a while back. But the type of estradiol you want to use is a bioidentical (made from plants and identical to the same estradiol our ovaries make) estradiol gel in a low dose that you apply to your skin in the morning and evening. There are different types out there but the two lowest dose forms right now are "Divigel" and "Elestrin". No side effects and after about 10 days I felt back to normal!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I started on the natural progesterone cream that you can get over the counter and it may have helped slightly, but nothing like the estradiol gel (which I guess is why it is only available in prescription). The good stuff is always harder to get it seems!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Hi Missy! I've been wondering what happened with you!

I'm going to have to ask my doctor about this. I know she tested hormones... but not sure she tested for that? I'm guessing it's not estrogen that's tested? She seemed receptive to the idea of hormones being an issue, so that's a plus. She told me about the progest cream, which I tried last month but it seemed to have no effect.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Missy! that is wonderful news....so funny you posted...i was going to put a thread up to search for you haha! i don't know if that will pertain to me? i am not pre-menopausal or anything, i'm 26...however, i have been on birth control pills for about 9 years now...so i wonder if that has anything to do with it. they have me on an MAV preventative at this time and am into about 4 1/2 weeks with no improvement on my constant visual issues. if i remember correctly, we kinda had similar symptoms.

anyhow...so glad you are doing well!!!!keep in touch

Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Hey Alexi,

There was a research paper looking at BC and vestibular disorders... it might have been the one Adam talked about, or it may have been a different one. I *think* it said that quite a few of the women who got off the BC got better.

Grrr, I wish I could remember. Maybe Adam knows what I'm talking about...

Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hi Alexi and Sipa! Yes, Alexi, the BC pill can and DOES definitely impact your hormone balance. 9 years is bound to mess with the levels for sure. Not saying you have to get off of them or anything, but you may want to look into different options or try going off of them for a while. Warning though - your body is now used to having that extra estradiol that is obtained from the BC pill so you may get worse before you get better! But bottom line is that yes, even at 26 you can have whacky hormones. It doesn't necessarily sound like my situation where I was super low on estradiol which was causing the hellish symptoms - but there is also an estrogen dominance issue where you have TOO MUCH estrogen that can cause weirdness - which could be your problem because you are taking the BC pill.

I totally feel for you, Sipa. The docs tried to get me on migraine meds and I never went that route because I thought it was just too weird that they "all of a sudden" started happening without any previous migraine history. And I am glad I didn't take that route. It is true that I was having miserable migraines, but the migraines were caused by the low estradiol. Now that I am bringing that particular hormone up, I haven't had a migraine since and it is totally weird but awesome! Ask your OB/GYN for estradiol, testosterone, progesterone, thyroid blood tests. You may be on the low end of the range and need a little boost.

Last edited by missy7777; 12-28-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Quote:
Ask your OB/GYN for estradiol, testosterone, progesterone, thyroid blood tests.
Estradiol is estrogen?

I don't have the results with me but from what I remember, she checked:

estrogen - fine
progesterone - fine (did tell me to use the progest cream if I started feeling weird, maybe my levels fluctuate but were fine that month)
testosterone - slightly too low

thyroid: I've had Hashimoto's for about 20 years and on synthroid for that. Gets checked regularly.

So the slightly low testosterone..? I tried looking that up but you can imagine what kind of results I got when I put "testosterone" into the search box. LOL!!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
(female)

Lauren29 HB User

Hi Missy. It is so nice to hear from someone who has found relief! Could this be my problem at 31? I seem to have recalled asking my gyno about hormone imbalance and she didn't seem to think much of it, and I am always mentioning my dizziness and she hasn't said anything. What were your symtoms? I have constant heavy head, foggy head and just feeling like my head is buzzing. I never feel like my head is clear. I would love to fix it!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

For me, when I started mentioning my "feeling off" a couple of years ago to my GYN, she said, "no, no, no - too young (I was 38 then). But something inside told me that it was hormone related. That is the problem with the regular OB/GYN docs - they are not very knowledgeable on hormone stuff really.

For me, my estradiol was at 21, and after reading and doing a lot of research, it should be somewhere at 80 at it's LOWEST. So if you look at your test and your estradiol is under 80, it could be causing your neurological problems like it was me.

My symptoms were like everyone else's on this board. Foggy head, weirdness, light/sound/smell sensitivity, nausea, buzzing/zapping, migraines, anxiety, insomnia, heavy head, stiff neck, etc... It is just unbelievable to me that the low level of estradiol could cause all of these things. But if you think about it, one of the MAIN causes of migraines in women is hormone fluctuation. Women are 3 times more likely to get migraines over men. So if the hormones cause migraines, they obviously cause other neurological problems. It's rather simple when you look at it that way.

Age doesn't really matter. You could surely be in permenopause at 31, which is basically the timeframe before you reach menopause, when your hormones are fluctuating. Or even have fluctuating hormones from childbirth, BC pills, etc.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
(male)

amww HB User

I'm trying to understand this. You didn't take migraine meds because you don't believe it is migraine causing the dizziness - but you were having miserable migraine headaches and have now stopped along with the dizziness?

You may have resolved migraine with the approach you have taken by altering a major trigger (hormones). Migraine is still the cause of dizziness and other neurological symptoms, but you may have found and resolved the triggering factor, rather than cured a whole host of symptoms independently. It is rare for this to work, but it does sometimes - most notably with the birth control pill.

I just want to clear up any confusion that there is a direct link between hormones and dizziness - there is none known - but there is a direct link between hormones and migraine (very well established), and migraine is the cause of the neurological symptoms like dizziness etc.

I hope this persists for you.. it's always great to have another weapon against migraine... especially in those who are most affected (women, by at least a 5 to 1 ratio).

EDIT: Just noticed you have changed your approach in your latest post - this sounds more like it. Resolve migraine, you resolve the neurological symptoms. You are correct in that age is irrelevant, but the most common migraineur with dizziness is a woman in her 20's or 30's. But can occur at any age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7777 View Post
The docs tried to get me on migraine meds and I never went that route because I thought it was just too weird that they "all of a sudden" started happening without any previous migraine history. And I am glad I didn't take that route. It is true that I was having miserable migraines, but the migraines were caused by the low estradiol. Now that I am bringing that particular hormone up, I haven't had a migraine since and it is totally weird but awesome! Ask your OB/GYN for estradiol, testosterone, progesterone, thyroid blood tests. You may be on the low end of the range and need a little boost.

Last edited by amww; 12-28-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Adam - I'd like to bring this up to my neuro on the 3rd. I haven't really been dizzy but not perfect either. Do you know of research I could read up on relating migraines with BPPV (and possibly stress as the triggering factor) in addition to the one mentioned earlier?

Old 12-29-2007, 12:40 AM   #15
(male)

amww HB User

scott is probably better grounded to comment on the comorbidity of bppv and migraine. it seems logical - migraine can cause vestibular damage just like VN does, which may then predispose the person to BPPV (noone knows yet for sure why those with vestibular disorders and migraine are more prone to BPPV).

my understanding of this area is that what people call BPPV is often not BPPV. BPPV is a particular disorder caused by loose otoconia in the semicircular canals. it causes positional vertigo (i.e. vertigo upon changing position). many other disorders cause positional vertigo - migraine being one of them. this doesn't mean the patient has BPPV.

Closed Thread