It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

smcc1116 HB User
Question Balance Disorder/Inner Ear?

Alright, I had no clue where the hell else to post this.
There wasn't really any other Message Board category that I could post this under besides this one so sorrry if its kinda out there.

well anyway her it goes..

My mother has been struggling with a 'Balance Disorder' for about 8 months now.
She's 53 years old, (she'd kill me if she knew i was advertisting this) XD
and she gets dizzy from time to time.

shes been visiting doctors, doctors and more doctors but none of them have come up with a solution so far.

She hasn't exacly given up yet but it's a struggle. its really put a damper on her dialy routine and going places etc.

She dosent work, which is probably a good thing otherwise she'd be walking into wallls. figuratlivley speaking.

One of her doctors had come back saying that she does have a Vestibular Problem and there IS something ABNORMAL with her inner ear but its non-specific.

Great job. non-specific. cause thats really helping.... bravo.

Oh yeah, and doctors have also come back saying that shes depressed.
This would be the conversation:
Doctor: "Do you fin yourself cleaning around the house alot?"
Mommy: "Yes.."
Doctor: "You're probably depressed."

or
"You have a phobia, beucase you feel nurvouse while walking form your car to the store without a cart."

She feels as if she might get to dizzy and fall! shes not depressed!

ALrighty then.... this got her on some anti-depressants. nto doing much.

does anyone have this same problem?
cuase i hate seeing her like this.
its depressing. HAHA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
(female)

rozbel HB User
Re: Balance Disorder/Inner Ear?

hi sorry to hear about your mum. i suffer with balance problems and dizziness and have done for quite a few years. have given up on ent dept because all i'm told is that it is a vestibular dysfunction and they have lots of people like me on their books. please dont think im telling your mum to give up on the doctors, i only did because it was causing me to get my hopes up only to have the docs shrug their shoulders at me which upset me. i have found my own way through this condition which is that tiredness is my enemy and that if i pace myself i can at least avoid the worst of my symptons. sorry i cant be more positive but there doesn't seem to be a quick fix

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Balance Disorder/Inner Ear?

Hi Smcc

..."does anyone have this same problem?
cuase i hate seeing her like this.
its depressing. HAHA"....

Yes just about everyone on this board----has an Inner Ear issue/condition---and understands what your mother is going through---with the Doc's and the medical problem---& no it is not---usually caused by depression---but it can be---however not likeley....

The best place to start in in the "Information Archives" (sticky first post on the board)---what she is up against and what she does to correct the medical problem and how long it takes---will depend on what type of Inner Ear problem she has....

So the first step is to get a decent Dx by a Doc who specializes in this area---and there are not to many---the Doc's are:

NEUROTOLOGIST

Fortunately in N.Y. they have the some of the best.....read up on Inner Ear problems---in the "sticky"---then chose a good Neurotologist---usually found at R&D Universities---but not always!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

smcc1116 HB User

thank you guys!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
(female)

susanb52 HB User

ok- how do you use the sticky post?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
(female)