It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
(male)

robsydney HB User
Anyone try Aciclovir?

I recently found a paper suggest that vecurrent vestibulitis and other forms of recurrent vertigo may be caused by Herpes virus infection in the vestibular nerve. This is the link to the paper:

[url]http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=000111042[/url]

Has anyone been treated with aciclovir (Zovirax) with any success?

Old 03-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: Anyone try Aciclovir?

Hey Roberto,

Good find. I thought I'd put in the abstract for people to read. At one stage I was on on Valtrex daily which did make a difference in the short term (about 2 weeks) but then it started tearing my gut apart so gave it a miss.

SUMMARY: The concept that reactivation of latent neurotropic viruses (ie. Herpesviridae group) in the vestibular ganglion is responsible for recurrent vestibulopathies is presented. A similar histopathological degeneration of vestibular ganglion cells in vestibular neuronitis (VN), Ménière's disease and BPPV is presented to support this concept. The clinical response (relief of vertigo) to the administration of antiviral medication in these syndromes provides practical evidence of a viral neuropathy in patients with recurrent vertigo. Relief of vertigo after this treatment was 90% in VN, Ménière's disease and VN (must be a typo here). The relief of positional vertigo (BPPV) was 66%.

I can't get the full paper unfortunately. Might try through the library next week to see what the dosing was like.

Best ... Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

More interesting info from this study:
  • by age 25 years, 60% of the population has elevated herpes simplex virus (HSV1) antibody levels and by age 60 years that value climbs to 90%.

• relief of vertigo was best achieved in Meniere's patients with the antiviral being effective in 22 of 25 patients or 88%. One patient was relieved after application of antiviral directly into the ear. Overall success = 91%.

• the treatment was effective in 30 out of 40 patients with VN (75%). Others who saw no change initially were given the treatment within the ear and the overall success rate climbed to 89%.

• oral antiviral (acyclovir) success in 9 patients with both VN and BPPV in the same ear was 90%.

• only 22 out of 33 patients with BPPV were relieved by the antiviral treatment
CONCLUSION: Morphological, molecular and clinical evidence strongly suggest that the common recurrent vestibulopathies (VN, Meniere's, BPPV) represent reactivation of latent Herpes-viridae virus in the vestibular ganglion. The use of antiviral drugs can control vertigo in 90% of VN and MD patients, while the control in BPPV is almost 70%. Adoption of an antiviral approach to these common syndromes seems justified.

Scott

Last edited by studyin; 03-09-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

myrtle59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsydney View Post
I recently found a paper suggest that vecurrent vestibulitis and other forms of recurrent vertigo may be caused by Herpes virus infection in the vestibular nerve. This is the link to the paper:

[url]http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=000111042[/url]

Has anyone been treated with aciclovir (Zovirax) with any success?
I have been treated with ayclovir with success in treatment of my sudden low frequency fluctuating hearing loss. It was dx'd as cochlear hydrops.
It is much better after 6 wks acyclovir but not completely fixed. I understand House Ear has done trials that showed success with hearing loss. They may be using a different antiviral, Famvir. Anecdotally I have heard of Meniere's patients who had some success in stopping vertigo.

Closed Thread