It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

ellenal62 HB User
Exclamation Blocked Eustachian Tube

I like many who have posted on these boards have blocked eustachian tubes. First happened to my left ear after chatching a cold during a vaction to Mexico in the mid 1980's- got better from the cold but my left ear always felt full. Constantly trying to pop it but nothing worked. This last year I have been constantly sick - one cold/flu anfter another. Ended up having to have sinus surgery recovered from that then more flu/colds got pneumonia and now finally bronchitis and an ear infection in my reight ear. As I write this my left ear is significantly worse than before and now my right ear is blocked like my left ear used to be.

I have tried ALL the recommendations: yawning, holding nose and blowing to force air to open the tubes, sinus rinses (like netti pot) saline nose sprays, flonase, sudafed (presecription strength too), gum, antibiotics, decongestants, etc you name it all for weeks and months. It is driving me crazy!!! I can't hear and I just want to jam somthing down my ears to open them up! (Don't worry I won't)

I have been searching for something to fix my ears. The ENT's I've gone to just keep prescribing the same routine that doesn't work.

In my searching I found two products: Eardoc and Ear Popper. Does anyone know if either of these work? eardoc seems to only be available in Europe and Ear Popper sounds like a sort of mechanical "hold your nose, close your mouth and blow" contraption. Plus Ear Popper is only available by prescription.

Thanks in advance!
Lanelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
(female)

snh39 HB User
Re: Blocked Eustachian Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenal62 View Post
I like many who have posted on these boards have blocked eustachian tubes. First happened to my left ear after chatching a cold during a vaction to Mexico in the mid 1980's- got better from the cold but my left ear always felt full. Constantly trying to pop it but nothing worked. This last year I have been constantly sick - one cold/flu anfter another. Ended up having to have sinus surgery recovered from that then more flu/colds got pneumonia and now finally bronchitis and an ear infection in my reight ear. As I write this my left ear is significantly worse than before and now my right ear is blocked like my left ear used to be.

I have tried ALL the recommendations: yawning, holding nose and blowing to force air to open the tubes, sinus rinses (like netti pot) saline nose sprays, flonase, sudafed (presecription strength too), gum, antibiotics, decongestants, etc you name it all for weeks and months. It is driving me crazy!!! I can't hear and I just want to jam somthing down my ears to open them up! (Don't worry I won't)

I have been searching for something to fix my ears. The ENT's I've gone to just keep prescribing the same routine that doesn't work.

In my searching I found two products: Eardoc and Ear Popper. Does anyone know if either of these work? eardoc seems to only be available in Europe and Ear Popper sounds like a sort of mechanical "hold your nose, close your mouth and blow" contraption. Plus Ear Popper is only available by prescription.

Thanks in advance!
Lanelle
Have you talked with your ENT about having tubes put in your ears?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
(female)

ellenal62 HB User

My ENT just said I'd have to live with it that there's nothing that can be done - other than trying again the nose rinse, decongestants, steroids etc...

Old 04-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
(male)

mviramgama HB User
Smile Re: Blocked Eustachian Tube

Have you tried for Chropractic Doctor treatment?

Many unresolved problems from doctors are cured by Chropractic.

I am suffering with Vertigo and Dizziness problem since 4 years and visited many doctors like ENT, Vestibular Therapist, Neuro, Physician, Homeopathy, Ayurvedic. But not an improvement.

Last week I visited Chropractic Doctor. Within 1 week I feel some improvement. Doctor told me to visit twice a week for atleast 1 month. So let me see after 1 month.

Goodluck. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
(female)

ellenal62 HB User

At one time I was seeing a chiropractor 3-4 times a week for 6mos to a year. It wasn't speciafically for the ear problems but he was doing head/neck and back adjustments. It didn't make any difference.

Has no one on this board seen/used/heard the Eardoc or Ear Popper? Just looking for some way to help myself.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
(female)

Lisa 007 HB User

Hi,
I think that I may be in the same boat as everyone else. For year now I have suffered from blocked ears and I can't seem to shift it. Iíve tried everything, from hay fever pills, decongestants, nasal prays, drinking water, head between my legs (donít laugh), blowing my noseÖ.you name it!? I do get hay fever, but my ear problems are a separate thing all together.
I donít know if anyone else has experienced this, but my ears get affected by the pressure in atmosphere. I have noticed that if it is a clear sunny morning, my ears are fine, then by lunchtime, when clouds come over head my ears develop pressure and become blocked. The opposite occurs when it is cloudy and then becomes clear. I think this is a bit weird and I canít believe that I am the only one that gets affected in this way. It was funny the other day when I was in my house and my ears blocked up. I knew that is had become cloudy (as it was sunny before) and I was able to predicted the weather outside....lol....that is how related it is and I'm not strange!
When my ears become blocked, I can hear my heart beat and when I talk, it is really loud. In addition, it puts be off talking, because I get paranoid by what I can imagine it sounds like for other people to hear the way I speak. No offence to deaf people, but I think I sound like them when they talk.
Can anyone suggest any proven way of getting rid of my problem? I had an allergy test and all that I am allergic to is nuts, which is obviously has no relation, goose feathers, which I donít own anything with them in it and eye drops, which is also not relation. The hay fever is obvious, but I donít know what type of hay fever I haveÖso that could be the issue there.
Help!
Thanks for listening!
Lisa

Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
(female)

redsands8 HB User

hI LISA can I relate. I have been told by at least 7 drs that I have what is called eustachian tube dysfunction - meaning that if I get a cold- or it is allergy season( I already take allergy shots- steroid nose spray- use a neti pot)- and truely the best time of year for me is the winter( unless I get a cold)-but driving in a car- atmospheriic changes- yes- it feels all clogged - especially my left ear. On top of it - I can get some vertigo( was tested - mri- all kinds of stuff- and all normal)- the only advise I can give you- is to see exactly if you have seasonal allergies- and if so - shots do help- and when the going gets rough- i take sudafed- that helps- according to my ear dr. -too much forcing to blow it out- holding your nose shut and blowing- can make it worse. for me- the worse part is flying- it has put a real wedge between my husband and me- cause we can never go on a trip - where there isn't a non stop flight- or were there are flights inbetween the flight coming home. But that is the way it is- the neti pot some say helps- but it seems sometimes to make me worse. My recommendation is to use claritin- if you have allergies- stay indoors to exercise during high allergy days- use nose spray- and something called ASTELIN spray( prescription)- is quite good
I use it along withe my flonase when I am really clogged up-
By the way- every time I swallow- I hear this crinkling sound in my ear- especiall during allergy season- So - I wish I had a magic wand for you.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
(female)

snh39 HB User

I have a question for everyone on this thread; with Eustachian Tube issues, sinus probs, allergies, etc. I would love to know if everyone also has jaw-related problems as well. TMJ is something I have, and have had for quite some time.

I really think there might be a parallel.

And it might be why our symptoms continue, and why people going to a chiropractor might experience improvement; they're getting these issues adjusted as well, even though vertigo and other EAR issues are the main focus in their treatment.

Many people don't even know they have jaw problems if they don't have a direct reason like braces, or other dental mishaps.

All the muscles and joints in your neck and jaw really coordinate with your ear, especially middle ear. And if people aren't having too many issues that they can say is jaw or neck related, they won't have it checked out and thus the problem will continue.

It's a theory. I'm wondering if it's a possibility for anyone else.

I'm finding this board to be very helpful in hearing that other people are experiencing the same issues, and particularly by whic cause, such as flying, tmj, etc.

When doctors tell you this can't cause that or I've never heard of anyone experiencing this or that, you have the knowledge that "yes, other people ARE experiencing these things, there is a common probable cause."

thanks for any repsonses,
snh39

Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
(male)

gdb4 HB User

I was told I had TMJ years ago and was fitted with a mouthpiece I was supposed to wear every night. That lasted about a year and I haven't used one since - about 10 years ago. Coincidental or not - I'm not convinced that it's a coincidence - I had been to the dentist the Friday before my first vertigo attack two days later on Sunday morning (early March). They may have had me in a jacked-up position - don't really remember. But since then I've been diagnosed with BPPV. And although I'm not experiencing vertigo any longer, I still feel like crap during the day. So who knows, maybe I still grind my teeth at night, and that's having an adverse affect on my efforts to correct things with MEPs...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
(female)

oonasong HB User

I have been wondering the exact same thing re: the Eardoc and the Ear Popper. From what I can tell, the Ear Popper is a bit more credible. I can't find anything on the web about the Eardoc that wasn't generated by the company itself.

I have a blocked left eustachian tube as a result of flying home from Europe with bronchitis several years ago. This past winter i have been having an occasional ear ache for the first time... I would like to get this tube open and i don't believe over the counter drugs are the solution!

I too have a history of TMJ and have seen chiropractors for years but not specifically for this...

Oona

The Following User Says Thank You to oonasong For This Useful Post:
Jenmomof2 (04-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
(female)

lola24sweet HB User

I too have been having dizzy problems and I was told years ago that I had TMJ, but was never officially diagnosed. The jaw pops, but I rarely have pain. But if you think about it and like others say the ears and jaw are all so close. I hate feeling like this and hope some of the info on these websites will help.

Closed Thread