It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

hollygirl33 HB User
Unhappy can a chiropractor help me? need feedback please

Does anyone know if chiropractic care can help with disequilibrium? I have it so bad. The chiro says he can fix it. I've been through everything so far. I would also like to know if the Epley maneuver would help? Or some other type to test if it's my ear? I saw an ENT and they did nothing but an ENG and hearing test all normal. Thank you Holly

Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
(male)

vince77 HB User
Re: can a chiropractor help me? need feedback please

hi holly - i've got a ear problem also. its so annoying as there's no medicine to take away the symptoms - oh what i would give to pop a pill to take away problems. my problem is different to your, i don't have equilibrium, but have constant poping and clicking in my ears throughout the day and every now and then the pressure goes uneven. anyways, i'm going to see a chiropractor this saturday to see if he can do anything to relieve the symptoms. i'll let you know how it goes. my ENT wasn't much use in this situation, he said it 'should go in 3 months' if not go back to him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
(female)

mkmjohn1 HB User

I spent just spent the last 3 weeks visiting my chiropractor. I also have disequilibrium. I had 8 adjustments and sad to say I haven't noticed any change. I do think it is worth looking into though. My ENG is not normal, so you may have better success. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
(female)

jrose1678 HB User
Yes, a chiropractor can help!!! Update jrose1678

Hi all,

I posted on this site almost exactly one year ago. I have been dizzy over 1.5 years, the worst of which spent pregnant. I am only posting again because I feel that what I have to say may benefit others suffering from vestibular disorders (although acknowledging that there are so many ways someone can be dizzy).

Bottom line up front: My chiropractor has helped me immensely and I have only been seeing him a short while. In week 3-4 he told me I would begin seeing results and I thought he was overly confident. Turns out he was exactly right, although I am not 100% yet. I am approximately 75%. I can turn my head to the right without a wave of dizziness and also up & down is much easier. Chiropractors believe that by adusting your spine (in this case the vertebrae that make up your neck/c-1/atlas) allow the nervous system to work effectively. Vertigo may be a result of a pinched nerve or other nerve impairment. In my case my right side was completely out of alignment, including the nerves that connect to my right ear.

For me seeing a chiropractor was the last resort. In almost two years I have been:
-to the emergency room at Piedmont Hospital (for the initial exam) where I received an MRI and an optomistic recovery time;
-to various ENTs who were perplexed at my persistant vestibular condition;
-to a neurotologist at Northside Hospital who treated me (unsuccessfully) with vestibular therapy for 1.5 years, including tinnuitus;
-lexapro for 1 year (did absolutely nothing) although I would say to give it a try for anxiety;
-a neurotologist at Emory University who recommended more time intensive balance therapy;

...at which point I decided in a what-have-I-got-to-lose moment to try a chiropractor who specializes in neurological issues. It seems less and less crazy to me when I think of all the weird maneuvers that were repeated over and over with the same results in vestibular therapy. (And now I don't need to wear a neck brace after seeing the chiropractor!!)

I still believe in traditional medicine. I think both doctors and chiropractors can provide relief in different ways...I wish it weren't such an all or nothing issue. I still have people in my life who think all my symptoms are literally in my head, and I should be seeing a psychologist!! It is so frustrating to go through a vestibular disorder, and I hope no one gives up. I think seeing a chiropractor (especially a chiropractic neurologist) for a consultation is a great option.

Best of luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi, jrose--

That's such great news that you are feeling better now! I was very interested in your post, partly b/c I also live in the Atlanta area. Can I ask what the folks at the various hospitals diagnosed you with? I'm wondering if any of the docs suggested migraine, b/c it makes sense that it would flair during pregnancy, and I know the Emory docs are very much involved with vestibular migraine research...?

I was wondering if you saw Tusa, Murphy, and/or Steenerson? I have been referred to them all, but have only seen Tusa so far (I had a very upsetting visit with him). Some docs (including those at Piedmont) think I have vestibular neuritis, but some docs have suggested vestibular migraine, b/c my caloric test was normal. I've been having dizzy issues for six months now. I also saw a chiropractor one time, but I don't think he specialized in neurology issues. I've been curious about trying that approach.

Take care!

Violet

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
(female)

jrose1678 HB User
Smile Re: can a chiropractor help me? need feedback please

Hi Violet!

It is so hard to even remember what I was "first" diagnosed with! Supposedly the cause of everything was a virus. I was initially so dizzy I couldn't walk for a month, and didn't drive at all for more than six. In the process I went on short-term disability and then was fired (only the government could get away with this). So, I have been through a lot. (Venting now) I definitely wish there were more answers out there for people. Chiropractic care is the best one I have so far!

Piedmont ER said "vanilla" vertigo. An ENT said BPVV -- he is the only one I can say for sure was wrong. Northside (Steenerson I saw only once the rest were therapists, mainly Jaine) said vestibular neuronitis for the first year, then changed to migraine. (I have never had a single migraine headache and the dizziness is constant so I am not too sure about this one either. Also lexapro did not help in my case, which was their last resort. After that, they told me to get a second opinion). In my experience, Emory (I saw the one woman vestibular therapist not Tusa) was a bit of a disappointment. I think they wanted me to fit their migraine research, and if I didn't they weren't too interested. They said it could be migraine, and told me I could come in for more testing, but that I seemed to be basically fine to them. They recommended exercise -- the gold old fashioned kind. I already do this in abundance. It really does help...I also find tennis to be very helpful with visual/spacial relations/balance. But this of course has been a long time coming. I got better only very gradually, and then seemed to hit a plateau. Then went to the chiropractor, which has been immensely helpful!!

I used to live in Atlanta and now am just a little bit south of the city. The practice is called Crossroads Chiropractic. He may know of other ones around the city if you want me to check.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, jrose--

I'm so excited to talk to someone (a fellow mom, too!) in my area with this problem...I, too, have had constant "dizziness"--more like a bad car-sick feeling at this point; it gets worse the more I move about or read/work on the computer. My first month to 6 weeks was also the worst...I stayed mostly in bed for several weeks & then gradually did more and more--I couldn't eat much (or read) for about 5 weeks.

I've also had a struggle keeping my job (with the state govt). I've been trying to telecommute and they are resisting...not sure how it will turn out yet. I also met with that woman at Emory; she was much nicer than Tusa, but she also seemed dismissive of me for exactly the reason you say--for not fitting into the migraine box (or the inner ear box for that matter). Well, I'm just glad to hear that you feel better after 1.5 years. I have a few more migraine symptoms than you do (some headaches & history of mild migraine-like headaches), but I still think a virus was primarily responsible in my case. I'm hoping time sorts some of this out.

Did you like Steenerson? If I see him, I'll have to self-pay. I've heard great things about Gaye Cronin...it's interesting that you did the VRT for so long with no benefit; I noticed on her Web site that she said the success rate for PT for those with vestibular neuritis was only 75 percent--that worried me, as I know she is supposed to be so good. I wonder if it just takes a while...some folks on this board have been healing for three or more years from the virus...

Anyway, I hope things have been going well for you as a new mom...I know it has been hard for me to feel this way with my two little ones to care for. On the other hand, they are always there to remind me of what I'm fighting for .

Violet

Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
(female)

wannarun HB User
Re: Yes, a chiropractor can help!!! Update jrose1678

jrose wrote:
"I think seeing a chiropractor (especially a chiropractic neurologist) for a consultation is a great option."

I have to agree with jrose! I have a couple of posts "doing great...here's my approach" (a post with some debate about meds helping or the chiro) and "chiropractic neurologist experience" to give you my experience.
I have to stress that my chiro is a chiropractic neurologist and I think that makes a big difference. I feel they pick up when an MD neurologist says "there's nothing wrong with you" because the brain MRI that you had done doesn't show MS or a brain tumor (thankfully!). They don't know what to do with you then. But the chiro neurologist is not an MD, so there will not be any drugs prescribed.
I could go on, but if you can find a chiropractic neurologist in your area (there aren't very many of them) then that is a great option.
I wouldn't discourage a "regular" chriopractor either.
I am now down to about 12mg on the citalopram(celexa) antidepressant and doing well. Hopefully it continues!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Wannarun,

I've been following your progress and am so happy you are still moving forward. Take care and best wishes for continued improvement.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
(female)

wannarun HB User

Thanks, Gloria.
I am pleased that the SSRI is helping you as well.
What a wild ride, huh?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
(female)

jrose1678 HB User

Thanks for the replies from Wanarun (I read your posts -interesting) and Violet. And of course I always like reading Scott's too!

I feel like Violet - you are the first person (on this website) that I recognize virtually all symptoms. I couldn't read (esp on the computer), watch TV, much less drive to work! (They let me work from home for awhile until co-workers got jealous...then it went downhill from there). I remember turning my head to the right or left, and just holding it there until things stabilized. I would go to the pregnancy classes with my husband, and the whole room would be tilting/sliding to the right! I don't think I learned a thing about having a baby, but it was nice to get out & about!

About the migraine issue. I did read the article that said "migraine" and "sinus headache" were often the same thing. The chiropractor's answer would be the vertebrae/nerve endings that are responsible for vertigo are the same that are responsible for chronic sinus problems. Just an interesting thought.

I wish I had a better answer about Dr. Steenerson. I don't think you will be impressed at first. Steenerson is like talking to a brick, maybe similar to your Tusa experience. Gaye however is wonderful, and I think she knows what she is doing. Only thing is it never worked for me. I gave it over a year and my best shot though. I know a lot of people on this website have been helped by the vestibular therapy.

One other interesting thing, Steenerson is a huge advocate of lexapro for MAV. When I went to Emory they dismissed lexapro as being completely useless, and said Paxil would end all my problems. When I told them I was likely going to get pregnant (sometime....eventually!?) and would not be going on any other meds, and actually planned on going off the lexapro, they were less than interested in me. Knowing these are both SSRIs, I guess I am confused, amused and a little jaded too. I had no issues going on/off lexapro, but feel much better off of it in general.

One thing I do think Emory is right about is getting exercise. About six months into this mess, I decided I would start running. I was never a runner before. I figured if I was going to be sitting down and dizzy, I might as well get something accomplished dizzy. It was extremely uncomfortable at first, and then eventually I got used to the extra bounce or two This past march I ran the ING half marathon. Who cares what my time was??!!

I am also starting to teach pilates, which has been very mind-calming and working the balance too. Again, I don't feel cured yet, but maybe the next best thing.

I am going to give the chiropractor at least a couple more months but I will be sure to post what the progress/results are.

I would love to hear what your experiences are going forward!!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Howie2 HB User

I also use some alternative treatments in conjunction with my medication. I am currently doing pretty well again like 95% and this started in conjunction with going for accupuncture 2 times a week. I also go to the chiropractor one time a week in the same office. I also meditate and do biofeedback from home every day. I am on a nice medication cocktail but I think a lot of the alternative treatments do help in conjunction with the medication.

My chiropractor does have a lot of information on neurology and energy healing so I am not sure what kind of chiropractor that classifies him.

Just my experience... Whatever we need to do to manage our conditions is great to share with others... There may not be a cure or a magic pill yet but there are ways to manage the condition with a healthly lifestyle

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, jrose--

Yes--I could not watch TV either...when I finally did start watching it, it had to be period costume-type films with little action...the less movement, the better!

Did you have the full VNG or ENG testing done? Mine showed abnormal nystagmus in all head positions, but apparently not caused by BPPV. My caloric test was normal, which is why some docs (like Tusa) ruled out vestibular neuritis. Other very good neurologists, including a top headache doc at Piedmont, pretty much said the test means little and it still sounded like a virus.

The Emory folks also prescribed Paxil to me--are they perhaps doing research on using that drug for MAV? I also questioned Paxil, b/c it is harder to get off of and it causes birth defects. I don't see why something like Lexapro or even Prozac or Zoloft wouldn't work, too...though some docs seem to think that these drugs can actually increase migraine. Some people on this board have been helped by them, however. That's very interesting that Steenerson advocated Lexapro. I've been thinking I should try something like that...I really thought I'd be back to normal by now, but I'm still hovering around 50 percent. Plus, my mood has been affected by this illness...it's much better now, but I don't think it would be a bad thing for me to get a little help in that department.

I'm so impressed by all the exercise you have been doing! I was pretty inactive before I saw Tusa, and then I started trying to walk more. I still have a long way to go in that department!

Wishing you a dizzy-free day!

Violet

Closed Thread