It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

AZMan07 HB UserAZMan07 HB User
Bppv?

Doctor referred meto a neurologist and ended up with the "Associate" but the only M.D. in the office. Said I had "crystals attached to cilia" but never gave me an official diagnosis. Ordered a brain scan MRI due to I also had left side facial numbing RX'd me meclizine and ondansetron. I have not taken them due to the dizziness does not seem to last that long but the nausea lasts a bit longer but is seldom intolerable. I hesitate taking anything due to I also have to get an Ultrasound on my neck and CT scan. Hopefully, they will get to the b ottom of this but I am wondering if I should have gone to an ENT instead or just hang in there for the **closed** MRI.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Bppv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMan07 View Post
Doctor referred meto a neurologist and ended up with the "Associate" but the only M.D. in the office. Said I had "crystals attached to cilia" but never gave me an official diagnosis. Ordered a brain scan MRI due to I also had left side facial numbing RX'd me meclizine and ondansetron. I have not taken them due to the dizziness does not seem to last that long but the nausea lasts a bit longer but is seldom intolerable. I hesitate taking anything due to I also have to get an Ultrasound on my neck and CT scan. Hopefully, they will get to the b ottom of this but I am wondering if I should have gone to an ENT instead or just hang in there for the **closed** MRI.
Hi

I vote for the MRI(if ur insurance covers it)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Re: Bppv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subs30 View Post
Hi

I vote for the MRI(if ur insurance covers it)

MRI was Monday. It has been 2 business days and I have heard nothing. The nurologist said "no news is good news." I should have said "call me either way." I will call Thursday afternoon.

Other doc scheduled me for a Carotid arteries ultra sound that I will have Monday after I have a Echocardiogram at the cardiologist.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Thanks Subs30
MRI was normal except for a very slight thickening of the Paranasal Sinus (not of any consequence!). No sign of tumor or stroke and all structures leading into and out of the brain look good. As a result, doctor gave a definite diagnosis of BPPV, gave me some home exercises and advised that if they don't work in a week to consult a physical therapist that specializes in BPPV.

I still have 2 more tests on Monday, an echocardiogram and an ultrasound on the carotid arteries but those showed clear on the MRI for the parts that go to the brain. I may also still have a facial CT scan. Actually, as I discovered from one of the BPPV sites, the brain often just gets use to the calcium crystals floating around and the vertigo just goes away on its own. As my nausea has mostly disappeared and my dizziness is less, I think it is adjusting but I will start exercises today anyway.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Hi
..."the brain often just gets use to the calcium crystals floating around and the vertigo just goes away on its own."....

True & lets hope that is the case---here---there is quite a bit of info in the "Sticky" 1st post on this board---on BPPV.....

Dr.Rauch's Online Otology Clinic - excellent video clips - Associate Professor Steven D. Rauch, MD

[url]http://www.meei.harvard.edu/patient/rauch.php[/url]

His video clips are excellent....+ the one on

Self-treatment of BPPV - Modified Epley Procedure (MEP) - A Radtke et al

Article - [url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150[/url]
Video - [url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150/DC1[/url]

along with its video is excellent---also

Good Luck!

..."

Last edited by Subs30; 06-27-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi
..."the brain often just gets use to the calcium crystals floating around and the vertigo just goes away on its own."....

True & lets hope that is the case---here---there is quite a bit of info in the "Sticky" 1st post on this board---on BPPV.....

Dr.Rauch's Online Otology Clinic - excellent video clips - Associate Professor Steven D. Rauch, MD

[url]http://www.meei.harvard.edu/patient/rauch.php[/url]

His video clips are excellent....+ the one on

Self-treatment of BPPV - Modified Epley Procedure (MEP) - A Radtke et al

Article - [url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150[/url]
Video - [url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150/DC1[/url]

along with its video is excellent---also

Good Luck!

..."

Hi Subs30
These are great vids, especially the 2nd. The handout I was given yesterday is for the Modified Epley. I will check out the Sticky and try the exercises now.
Thanks!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

There seems to be a slight discrepency between what the Nurologist gave me in the "Modified Epley Manuever" and what I see in Video 2.

In the video the final full body rollover is on the same side as where the head is facing already. In the handout the head and body turn to the other side.

In other words, the video starts with the head facing the affected side, turns to the non-effected side and stays there for the final whole body. In the handout, it say to start by turning to the affected side, then turn to the non-affected side, and then turn the whole body back to the affected side.

I figured, what the hey, I did both!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMan07 View Post
There seems to be a slight discrepency between what the Nurologist gave me in the "Modified Epley Manuever" and what I see in Video 2.

In the video the final full body rollover is on the same side as where the head is facing already. In the handout the head and body turn to the other side.

In other words, the video starts with the head facing the affected side, turns to the non-effected side and stays there for the final whole body. In the handout, it say to start by turning to the affected side, then turn to the non-affected side, and then turn the whole body back to the affected side.

I figured, what the hey, I did both!
Hi

The Modified Epley Procedure(MEP) shown in video 2 is correct for a person with a "Right Ear" problem(u would reverse it for a left problem).

Does the "Hand Out" provided to u by ur Doc says the procedure described is the "MEP" specifically??

There is/are a number of variations of the Epley procedure(s)---the "MEP" contained in video 2 just being one...of them...

What/which ever one works.......

Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi

The Modified Epley Procedure(MEP) shown in video 2 is correct for a person with a "Right Ear" problem(u would reverse it for a left problem).

Does the "Hand Out" provided to u by ur Doc says the procedure described is the "MEP" specifically??

There is/are a number of variations of the Epley procedure(s)---the "MEP" contained in video 2 just being one...of them...

Yes, it is the MEP but I see from looking at all the websites available out there for BPPV that there are numerous variations and different techniques.

So, as I said above, I did both yesterday. Afterwards, I felt a little "numb" if that makes any sense. I may have turned my neck too far but I don't seem to be any worse for the wear this morning. Anyway, last night I felt most of the vertigo was gone and I actually gained my apetite back!

This morning, I still have a little but not at all like before. I am going use the exercise where, at the end, you tilt your head forward.

Like you say, whatever works.
Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi

Day 3 was almost symptom free, felt damn good, and accomplished a great deal. But I awoke this morning with Vertigo again so I called the Physical Therapist who advised me that the directions I was given by the Neurologist were not correct.

First, I should do the procedure just before bed. Start on the affected side but end on the opposite side *and* fall asleep on the non-affected side. No falling asleep on my back or reclining in a chair. So, Video 2 that you supplied is the correct procedure. Thanks!

I should only have to do this once, maybe twice at most and so the symptoms should disappear within 24-48 hours.

I advised I will try tonight and tomorrow night and because that puts us in the Holiday weekend, I will call on Monday if I still have symptoms.

Last edited by AZMan07; 07-02-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

PT says I don't have typical BPPV therefore the exercises won't work. Instead, she advised to start exercises to train the brain to accept the dizziness

She also said I need to see a ENT to find the true cause and that my D.O. doc should Rx an allergy med.

Well, she is right in that the new exercises cause more dizziness!

Closed Thread