It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
(male)

VNHOOP HB User
Wink Re: VRT, Vestibular Neuritis & Success Stories

Hello Biteneck,

I am happy to report things are getting progressively better. I am getting past the severe headaches, and am still struggling with the dizziness/lightheadedness. It's primarily when I tilt my head back and when I'm walking or have had my head looking straight ahead. My otoneurologist prescribed an antihistamine which may be responsible in helping me start the recovery. He indicated they're not exactly sure why the antihistamines help, but they do. I am now almost 9 months into the ordeal and realize it's going to take a while. Maybe a couple of years. Weakness is the same as damage, but it doesn't mean you won't heal. Total healing can occur up to 6 months after it occurs...so it doesn't mean you're in the same boat as me. I'm going to have to continue to try and retrain my brain. Please post and keep me up to date with your progress. How about your husband? Is he recovering too or did it happen quickly with him? How did yours occur? Was it an immediate dizziness/vertigo with vomiting or milder? Mine was not severe like others have described. I too will pray for your full recovery.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
(male)

VNHOOP HB User
Re: VRT, Vestibular Neuritis & Success Stories

Hello Biteneck,

Just one other item I neglected to state. Yes, the foggy headed feeling is with me and has been since the beginning. It also gets better, but takes time. I still get the foggy feeling but its not near as bad, nor as frequent. Some days are good and others are bad....however the bad days are fewer and farther between. Keep me posted on your progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
(female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNHOOP View Post
Hello Biteneck,

Just one other item I neglected to state. Yes, the foggy headed feeling is with me and has been since the beginning. It also gets better, but takes time. I still get the foggy feeling but its not near as bad, nor as frequent. Some days are good and others are bad....however the bad days are fewer and farther between. Keep me posted on your progress.
Hi Vnhoop:
Mine started right after a sinus infection. I had a bad cold/sinus and was losing my voice, which at the time I thought sounded really cool. lol Anyway, mine started with feeling lightheaded when I went to stand up from kissing my baby girl. I thought I was going to pass out and after that ordeal I've been very scared to be by myself. My husband seems ok. He doesn't seem to get the strange foggy head but still gets dizzy and woozy. He just told me that last week he was talking to his boss and held onto a table because he felt like falling over. His has been affecting him since December but he never told me. He said he remembers thinking, great, now what's wrong, we are having a baby and something is going wrong. But it's not as bad as he thought it would be. I think it affected me worse because it was only two months after having a baby. My immune system was low and I was not eating well. I feel disappointed in myself for not taking better care of my body so that I could have fought it off better, but I can't look back in the past now. Its' good to hear that we can all get better, it's just unfortunate that it can take so long. I remember getting some headaches at the beginning and then it seemed to slow down, now I'm having some again. I wonder why the headaches are such a big part of this. Do you know? Also, do you have a sore or tight neck? Mine seems that way a lot. I really miss the way I used to be and really miss not thinking twice about getting in the car and driving. I have so much anxiety about that now. I see a neurologist this Tuesday who hopefully can put me on something to calm that. Please keep in touch and I'll be praying for you too! May God restore our health soon. Take care.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
(male)

VNHOOP HB User

Hi biteneck

My neurologist said the headaches are partially caused by the brain working overtime trying to process the conflicting data between the ears (now different from each other), and the eyes. Mine seems to be much better when I'm laying down in bed or on the couch. Is yours positionally worse? Ie when you're sitting/standing up or looking up? I'm curious about comparing notes. Yes, my neck gets very stiff. I have been making a point to stretch it to the right, left, up and down. It has helped immensely. I think we may also subconsciously be restricting our movement to avoid the lightheaded feeling. Don't blame yourself for this.....it simply isn't true. I've tried a million ways to blame myself up to and including thr surgeon I selected to perform my surgery. Since you mentoned the headaches, have you noticed any other side effects like tremors? Curious to know.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
(male)

khalid567 HB User

Quote:
Hi biteneck

My neurologist said the headaches are partially caused by the brain working overtime trying to process the conflicting data between the ears (now different from each other), and the eyes. Mine seems to be much better when I'm laying down in bed or on the couch. Is yours positionally worse? Ie when you're sitting/standing up or looking up? I'm curious about comparing notes. Yes, my neck gets very stiff. I have been making a point to stretch it to the right, left, up and down. It has helped immensely. I think we may also subconsciously be restricting our movement to avoid the lightheaded feeling. Don't blame yourself for this.....it simply isn't true. I've tried a million ways to blame myself up to and including thr surgeon I selected to perform my surgery. Since you mentoned the headaches, have you noticed any other side effects like tremors? Curious to know.

Hi there VNHOOP,

I too have a 45% caloric loss in my right ear. I have been struggling along for 3 1/2 months. Not had one single good day yet, just okish days followed by lots of bad days.

I am curious to know whether or not you have started VRT yet? If so, did you notice any improvements with it?

Thanks,

Khal

Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
(female)

Quote:
Hello Biteneck,

I am happy to report things are getting progressively better. I am getting past the severe headaches, and am still struggling with the dizziness/lightheadedness. It's primarily when I tilt my head back and when I'm walking or have had my head looking straight ahead. My otoneurologist prescribed an antihistamine which may be responsible in helping me start the recovery. He indicated they're not exactly sure why the antihistamines help, but they do. I am now almost 9 months into the ordeal and realize it's going to take a while. Maybe a couple of years. Weakness is the same as damage, but it doesn't mean you won't heal. Total healing can occur up to 6 months after it occurs...so it doesn't mean you're in the same boat as me. I'm going to have to continue to try and retrain my brain. Please post and keep me up to date with your progress. How about your husband? Is he recovering too or did it happen quickly with him? How did yours occur? Was it an immediate dizziness/vertigo with vomiting or milder? Mine was not severe like others have described. I too will pray for your full recovery.
Hi VNHOOP,
I don't notice an actual dizziness right now, I, most of the time always feel out of it. Kind of like I'm not there. I hate this feeling because I want to drive but am so scared to go out by myself. Especially since I have a little one now. She's 6 months old today and back then, in December I was so excited to take her places during this summer, but, I don't feel safe going anywhere unless my husband is driving. Did you feel this way any? I started getting this right after a bad sinus infection. I went to stand up and almost passed out. Then for the next week I was so afraid of what was going on with the dizzy spells. I got a chill in the head and a strange sensation in my chest when I felt that way. It was horrible! I couldn't even sleep well for that week. I kept waking up when I felt the strange jolt sensations and dizziness. My husband must not have been as bad as me. Although he never told me he was experiencing the dizziness since December! He is pretty much ok now but on occassion might feel strange. Mostly if it's cloudy or a rainy day. So it is about a year it seems. I was just put on Depakote for migraines. I don't feel the pain, but have had this constant pressure on the sides of my head since all this happened. The neurologist I met this week thinks the brain fog and out of it feeling is from this. Well, eventually it will go away. I must be patient but it's very hard. Praying for quick healing for us all! Take care and please let me know your progress as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
(female)

Hi Boslee2008:
It's horrilbe having these vestibular problems. I never even heard of these things before. Which is common when you are healthy and don't have it. I really wish I could go back in time before February and take better care of myself so I didn't get sick. I had a sinus infection right before this started and now I have this strange out of it/foggy head feeling. I just saw a neurologist this week who said it sounds like vestibular migraine too. I don't have the pain all the time, but I have a constant pressure on the sides of my head above my ears. Please let me know how you are feeling and if anything you took helped it go away or if it just takes a lot of time. I was told I have vestibular neuritis in May. I have been fighting this crap ever since March but have heard it takes quite a while to finish out. I am afraid to drive because of the out of it feeling I get and can't quite focus. I loved driving and am so scared to do it now or being by myself. I have a six month old baby girl that I need to be taking care of and it's difficult sometimes. My neurologist prescribed Depakote for the migraine. So I'm praying that helps and with time it can be gone. Please let me know how you are. Any advice? Thanks!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
(female)

Hi VNHOOP:
I think I'm getting better. Still very very slowly. How are you feeling lately?
My worst symptoms now are ear fullness/head fullness with foggy head feeling like I'm not here or could pass out. I think that's a dizzy thing but not sure. I also notice pressure on my head above my ears. The neurologist dx'd vestibular migraine. This was just last week for that and I have not started on Depakote yet for it. I still have horrible anxiety about driving and feel shaky and dizzy/woozy now when I get in drivers seat which is horrible because I miss driving, as I used to love it. I think my worst part is anxiety which doesn't help. Have you heard of Depakote? Hope you are feeling better. How are you?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
(female)

Boslee,
Are you taking anything for migraine? If so, may I ask what it is? How are you? I was just dx'd with vestibular migraine and given Depakote. My worst feeling now is a foggy/not there feeling in head and ear fullness. I also have pressure on sides of head above the ears. I was dx'd with vestibular neuritis before in May. Any advice?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
(male)

VNHOOP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalid567 View Post
Hi there VNHOOP,

I too have a 45% caloric loss in my right ear. I have been struggling along for 3 1/2 months. Not had one single good day yet, just okish days followed by lots of bad days.

I am curious to know whether or not you have started VRT yet? If so, did you notice any improvements with it?

Thanks,

Khal
Hi Khai

Yes, I did not have a single good day for many many months. Don't lose hope. I have been doing vrt but didn't see a big change....only gradual. So, is it the vrt or healing? I don't know, but I am still doing the things which make me dizzy to try and help. Some days were so bad I felt as though I would pass out. I think one of the best things I've done is stretch my neck muscles by tilting my head left to right. I think I was protecting myself from movement and inadvertently slowed my recovery.

VNHOOP

Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
(male)

VNHOOP HB User
Smile Re: VRT, Vestibular Neuritis & Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteneck View Post
Hi VNHOOP:
I think I'm getting better. Still very very slowly. How are you feeling lately?
My worst symptoms now are ear fullness/head fullness with foggy head feeling like I'm not here or could pass out. I think that's a dizzy thing but not sure. I also notice pressure on my head above my ears. The neurologist dx'd vestibular migraine. This was just last week for that and I have not started on Depakote yet for it. I still have horrible anxiety about driving and feel shaky and dizzy/woozy now when I get in drivers seat which is horrible because I miss driving, as I used to love it. I think my worst part is anxiety which doesn't help. Have you heard of Depakote? Hope you are feeling better. How are you?
Hi Biteneck

My neurologist recently put me on a very low dose of diazepam of 2 mg per day. That also may be helping me but I'm not sure. He indicated it helps although they're not sure why. He stopped me from taking the antihistamine as it didn't seem to be doing the trick. I am familiar with Depakote to the extent it was used for my wife 20 or 30 years ago for her epilepsy by helping to control seizures. I have heard of it for helping to control anxiety but that's all I know. Believe me, I was. not an anxious person before this hit, but it made me very anxious. In fact to the point before I was diagnosed, that I didn't know if I was going to live. Very scary. However, things are better just from understanding what I have. I just had another ENG test last week and will be receiving the results in two weeks. Based on how I feltin terms of the difference between the two ears, I still felt a significant difference between the two during the caloric testing phase. Keep in touch. You are in my prayers.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #27
(male)

khalid567 HB User

Quote:
Hi Khai

Yes, I did not have a single good day for many many months. Don't lose hope. I have been doing vrt but didn't see a big change....only gradual. So, is it the vrt or healing? I don't know, but I am still doing the things which make me dizzy to try and help. Some days were so bad I felt as though I would pass out. I think one of the best things I've done is stretch my neck muscles by tilting my head left to right. I think I was protecting myself from movement and inadvertently slowed my recovery.

VNHOOP
Hi VN,

Thank you for your response. It is good to hear you are progressing albeit it being gradually.

How long have you been doing your VRT exercises for? At what stage did you start to have the good days?

I read earlier that yours is sometimes get worse in different positions e.g. you said it gets worse looking up. Mine seems to get worse when looking to the left away from the damaged side.

I also tend to be worse after car or train travel. I feel like my head is a bowl of water and the more vigorous the movement, the more the water gets stirred up and the more time if takes to become less dizzy. I am also bad when sitting down in very public and noisey places like restaurants and cafe's. I feel like my head is bobbling around inside. My therapist said this is normal and that I must expose myself to these environments.

I have been doing the VRT for 5 weeks now, and yes, it is very very gradual improvement. I do not know whether this is time or the VRT that is helping. I think that any recovery must be a combination of time and VRT.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
(female)

Hello khalid567 & VNHOOP:
I started noticing that I am feeling better but it does seem to take a long, long, slow time. I am not sure if I said this, but I was diagnosed with the VN in May and just two weeks ago by a neurologist with vestibular migraine. While at Walmart yesterday I felt funny when sitting eating at the Subway there. That was not too bad but I really miss my old self. The worse part was when Walmart dimmed down their lights. I felt really weird and slightly disoriented. I still don't want to drive by myself. Do any of you feel strange in stores? Especially like this, where they dimmed the lights? I was ok, it's just very uncomfortable feeling. I do notice I feel better than 2-3 months ago, but like I said it seems so slow that you think you are not getting better. What really freaks me out if that feeling of disorientation like you might pass out or not here. Pray for all of us to get better sooner rather than later! God Bless and please let me know how you are all doing in this! Take care. :-)

Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #29
(male)

VNHOOP HB User
Thumbs up Re: VRT, Vestibular Neuritis & Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalid567 View Post
Hi VN,

Thank you for your response. It is good to hear you are progressing albeit it being gradually.

How long have you been doing your VRT exercises for? At what stage did you start to have the good days?

I read earlier that yours is sometimes get worse in different positions e.g. you said it gets worse looking up. Mine seems to get worse when looking to the left away from the damaged side.

I also tend to be worse after car or train travel. I feel like my head is a bowl of water and the more vigorous the movement, the more the water gets stirred up and the more time if takes to become less dizzy. I am also bad when sitting down in very public and noisey places like restaurants and cafe's. I feel like my head is bobbling around inside. My therapist said this is normal and that I must expose myself to these environments.

I have been doing the VRT for 5 weeks now, and yes, it is very very gradual improvement. I do not know whether this is time or the VRT that is helping. I think that any recovery must be a combination of time and VRT.
Hi Khalid

Yes, I'm continuing to do better, but it is quite slow. The neck tightness, headaches, and the floating Feeling are what I'm concentrating on now. I was doing the VRT exercises for over a month before I saw real improvement. The car travel is the worst for me as well. I can be doing fine, get in the car and the pressure in my head along with the floating feeling mount. It's the same with walking for me. That's one of my big VRT exercises. Walking and focusing on an object very far away. It helps! You and bite neck are right in that stores and public places with lots of people make it much worse and aggregate the symptoms. It will get better, count on it!

I want and had the caloric test repeated and am back to nearly 80% in my left ear. There is a 20% error in the test so it's not exact and given the way I still feel, I'm sure I'm less than that. However, the doctor was very surprised to see the improvement as usually 6 mo. post the damage, there's usually no improvement With that I am. Dry blessed and thank God for every day. Please keep us updated on your progress as well.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
(male)

VNHOOP HB User
Smile Re: VRT, Vestibular Neuritis & Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteneck View Post
Hello khalid567 & VNHOOP:
I started noticing that I am feeling better but it does seem to take a long, long, slow time. I am not sure if I said this, but I was diagnosed with the VN in May and just two weeks ago by a neurologist with vestibular migraine. While at Walmart yesterday I felt funny when sitting eating at the Subway there. That was not too bad but I really miss my old self. The worse part was when Walmart dimmed down their lights. I felt really weird and slightly disoriented. I still don't want to drive by myself. Do any of you feel strange in stores? Especially like this, where they dimmed the lights? I was ok, it's just very uncomfortable feeling. I do notice I feel better than 2-3 months ago, but like I said it seems so slow that you think you are not getting better. What really freaks me out if that feeling of disorientation like you might pass out or not here. Pray for all of us to get better sooner rather than later! God Bless and please let me know how you are all doing in this! Take care. :-)
Hi Biteneck

I am glad you are feling a little better. It is slooooowwww, but it will come. I haven't noticed problems with dimmed lights but yes, both stores and cars are bad for me! I feel like I'm having an out of body experience if that makes sense. It's frustrating at times because of this slow recovery, but I have to remind myself through devotions and my wife to try and take it one day at a time. Please keep me updated on your progress. You are in my prayers

Closed Thread