It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #31
(male)

khalid567 HB User
Re: VRT, Vestibular Neuritis & Success Stories

Hi VN,

I have just been diagnosed with Vestibular Migraine by a reputable Neuro-otologist in London. He said the VN I am suffering with has either always been there and I have compensated, was caused by the Migraines or finally, bringing about a period of decompensation. Either way, until I nail these migraine episodes, compensation is pretty much on hold. He has given me a diet list and a drug called nortriptyline. I hope to god this nails the problem.

Apparently, VN and Migraine go hand in hand and Migraine's are the main cause which stops and slows compensation. After suffering this long, I would bring this up with your ENT or better yet find a Neuro-Otologist. I do not trust ENT's with this at all.

By the way I have never suffered from Migraine in my life prior to this, but apparently migraine can take many forms starting from nausea to a hightened sense of smell to motion sickness. One key thing for this guy was that I get motion sickness - that indicates that I have a migraine brain.

Khal

Last edited by khalid567; 07-15-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #32
(female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Linda,
How are you feeling now? How long did it finally take to notice you were over VN, if you are. I was diagnosed with VN in May 2012 with symptoms since March 2012. I do have better days now but still feel funny in stores. I got really woozy and almost pass out/faint feeling in Barnes and Noble just this pass Monday. Did you feel that way with this? I feel so disoriented and strange in the head while in most stores. It's almost like a funhouse without the fun part. It scares me and I am afraid to drive because of this. I get feeling like a strange dream-state feeling. Please let me know if you felt this way at all and how you are doing now. Also, did your head hurt? Mine hurts a lot, mostly pressure on both sides of my head above my ears.
Thanks!
Praying we're all getting better!
Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
(female)

Teetime01 HB UserTeetime01 HB UserTeetime01 HB User

Hello All,

Newbie here. I was diagnosed with VN 5 weeks ago after landing in the hospital for acute vertigo. I completed some rehab exercises and thought I was almost recovered at 4 weeks (the doctor told me this would resolve in 3 weeks) and all of a sudden I began to have dizziness again and trouble with depth perception when looking at the floor and walking outside. My seasonal allergies seem to be compounding the situation. I have now been referred to an ENT for testing.

Your posts have all been very comforting in that I have been experiencing the same symptoms...headaches, ear fullness, visual disturbance, dizziness and overall fuzziness. Has anyone been given a realistic timeframe for recovery? Obviously, 3 weeks wasn't realistic and am looking for a reality check to realign my expectations. I'm struggling with not driving and the inability to have a normal life. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be so much conflicting information.

Here's to everyone's recovery!

The following user gives a hug of support to Teetime01:
biteneck (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
(female)

Hi Teetime:
I'm going on 5 months and feel off a good bit of the time. As others say, it takes a long time but most of us seem to notice a difference if we look at it by months. For example, April I still felt very dreamy like state, but now I don't seem to have that as much but still notice it. I pray we can all get over this soon. I have heard from some people who have had it for almost a year. So, please hang in there. Can you let me know what your tests show? My caloric test showed 25% loss in my left ear. Please tell me, do you feel weird in stores and restaurants? I get disoriented a lot of the time in stores. I've been told that's because the brain is trying to figure everything out to correct from the inner ear nerve damage. Also, there are a lot of things that make us feel woozy in store and restaurants like the noise and lots of items. I also am not driving much. I am so afraid of getting dizzy or a feeling of passing out. While at Barnes and Noble this past Monday, I felt so woozy that it felt like I was going to pass out. Do you get that? I hope you feel better soon!
Nicole

Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
(female)

Hi Biteneck:

Have consolation in that I feel the same way!

I've read of long recovery periods and was shocked since my doctor told me 3 weeks. So sorry to hear that you've been dealing with this for 5 months...hopefully your recovery is complete soon and we can celebrate a success story!

My caloric testing is Aug 7th and the ENT followup on the 13th...will let you know results. I was progressing well up to 4 weeks - played golf and was going for 30 min walks with the dog. Suddenly I started getting headaches and lightheadedness again. When I walk in the house I can't judge the carpet distance, walking outside is the same...I get mild dizziness from looking at the ground. We tried to out for dinner Wed night and got incredibly dizzy/nauseous walking the car to the restaurant and we had to leave (last week we went for dinner and I was fine). Stores do bother me - too much to look at. I'm good in the car as a passenger. I tried driving once...I was fine going 15mph in the neighborhood, but got a pounding headache afterward. I haven't driven in 5 weeks as I'm afraid Ill get dizzy. I get that woozy feeling on and off....today is a bad day and my allergies are complicating the symptoms. The anxiety sets in when the woozies come on and im afraid I'll fall or pass it. The doctor said that it is normal for the symptoms to wax and wane. Are you working?

I hope your recovery is right around the corner!
Marcia

Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #36
(female)

Hi Marcia,
Thankfully I'm not working, but I have a 7 month old baby girl who I am home with during the day. I would love to feel myself and comfortable enough to take her anywhere, but when I'm afraid to be by myself to begin with, it's scary. I am also afraid to drive. I need to try to overcome that and I think I'll feel a lot better. I heard the anxiety is really bad with this and I can most certainly agree with that. Here's to praying that we don't have it too much longer. I heard it's extremely slow but we will get back to where we once were. It's just difficult, frustrating and full of anxiety to get there! lol I'll write more later, my little Maria is wanting to play with the cord. Take care and keep in touch!!
Nicole

Old 07-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
(female)

Have fun playing with your little one...even more inspiration for a speedy recovery. I can only imagine the anxiety of dealing with this and taking care of a child, not knowing if the VN will rear its ugly head again. I was supposed to stat a new job 4 weeks ago...not sure how long they will delay my start and not sure when to say I'll be able to start. Getting better needs to be the first priority. Have a great afternoon and stay in touch.
M.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #38
(male)

VNHOOP HB User

Hello Biteneck et all,

With the anxiety, has anyone experienced tremors or vibrations? This has been something that occurred with me, but I haven't been able to determine if it's part of the VN or something else. It occurs in my nose, hands, legs. Simply could be the anxiety overload......but I don't know. Has anyone gone on any anxiety medications to help cope? Just trying to get by. Thanks. VN

Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
(female)

Hi VN,

Im really new to this whole VN thing. The anxiety that comes with this produces a variety of symptoms. I've not experienced tremors, but do get occasional tingly/*****ly sensations on my neck, head and face. I've been told they are an anxiety symptom. I'm opting not to take any meds, altjhough the doc did prescribe. Everything I've read has said that recovery is longer when taking meds as the brain can't compensate as quickly. I'm only 5 weeks into this, so I may change may change my mind if this lingers! Trying to get by is so hard some days...for me, today was really bad. It's getting up and not knowing what the day will bring. Have you been dealing with this a long time? Hang in there...we're all here for support as we get through this.
Teetime01

Notdiggingdizzy (08-04-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #40
(female)

Hi Everyone:
Vnhoop: How long have you been having this VN again? Yes, I do notice some strange things when I have more anxiety. For example, I don't feel like doing anything in the house like housework, which I used to try to keep a very clean house. I have been a neat freak and now I don't know if it just because of having a baby, or this VN, but I don't feel comfortable and almost feel panicky if I clean while I'm home by myself with the baby. I still get fear/anxiety that I'll pass out. Yes, my face kind of gets a numb/tingly feeling. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I don't remember feeling it before. I really want to drive and feel good about hopping in the car and running out to pick up something but am still afraid and get fear in me that I'll never drive again or at least be able to enjoy driving again. I get anxiety when I think about getting in the car to drive. With the anxiety it makes me have an eerie sick feeling in my stomach. I really hate the dreamy state feeling and the feeling in my head like I'm going to pass out. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Also, I don't want to go out places because I feel so disoriented in the head in stores. Especially Kmart now.
Please keep in touch everyone! Thank you! I am praying we all get over this soon. I start thinking I'm pretty much out of the woods, but fear and anxiety is holding back. I did feel a little funny on Sunday when my husband drove around Pitt area in Pittsburgh. I think it maybe had to do with all the buildings and the busy streets. Is that common?
May God heal us all very soon! Take care and again, please keep in touch.
Nicole

Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #41
(female)

Hi Biteneck,

Off the topic...your post made me home sick! My husband is originally from Pittsburgh. We were transferred to MN last year for his job. I'm so homesick!

I too had the feeling that I was getting over this and had a sudden setback. I have problems visually when there is a lot around me and my depth perception is off. I tried to vacuum the carpet yesterday and it looked wavy. The pavement and grass has the same look. Anyone else have the depth perception problem? I haven't driven in 5 weeks and feel like I'll never get my I dependence back. But you are right, fear is impacting my wanting to try. Last week I had a dizzy attack when we tried to go out for dinner and another one in Target. Now I'm afraid to try again. I panic with how quickly I can get out of the store for fear of passing out.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone...we WILL get overt this and go back to enjoying life. Speedy recovery to all!
M

Last edited by Teetime01; 07-30-2012 at 08:14 AM.

biteneck (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #42
(female)

Hi Marcia:
Yes, I feel the same way in stores. My worst ones seem to be Kmart and Wal-Mart. We even went into the mall and I felt weird. I told my husband one good thing about this is it's keeping me home and not spending money. :-) But I'd rather be feeling myself ofcourse. :-) I completely understand about the passing out scare and the driving scare and feeling like I'll not be ever able to drive again. That should pass once we take little steps and further it. I really need to do that. I felt dizzy/pass out feeling just this past Friday night while out to dinner. I was looking at the fish tank at this big fish picking up stones and spitting them at the window, I thought it was neat,lol. Anyway, I brought my head up to look towards my husband and felt funny. I hate that feeling because then my stomach feels sickish for a moment. I think that could be my nerves. I am not taking anything now. The neurologist told me it sounds like vestibular migraine because of the pressure I feel on my head above my ears and how some sounds make my head feel bouncy. He gave me Depakote but I have not taken yet. Before any of this started I had just been driving around downtown Pgh and interviewing. One night I drove down while my husband was in the backseat with our baby girl. I wanted to make sure I knew where I was going so I drove and felt so confidant. It was great! We hada great evening and now I feel like I'll never feel that way again. I'm praying for the symptoms to go away and we can all feel confidant again. Prayers for all! Keep in touch.
Nicole
PS-I heard it can last for about a year too. One lady on Healthboard got it in July 2010 but now is pretty good. So we might have two years but hopefully it'll be gone for us to feel great again!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #43
(female)

Hi Nicole,

Looking for some support. Just got really scared...have you felt like this? I just got a tiingly feeling over my face, a little nausea, a hazy feeling, thought I was going to get dizzy and faint. Ive got a headache now and the chills...probably nerves now. I just don't know what is normal. Thought maybe it was my allergies...they've been bad lately. I'm ready to cry. Any thoughts?
Marcia

VNHOOP (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #44
(male)

VNHOOP HB User
Talking Re: VRT, Vestibular Neuritis & Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteneck View Post
Hi Everyone:
Vnhoop: How long have you been having this VN again? Yes, I do notice some strange things when I have more anxiety. For example, I don't feel like doing anything in the house like housework, which I used to try to keep a very clean house. I have been a neat freak and now I don't know if it just because of having a baby, or this VN, but I don't feel comfortable and almost feel panicky if I clean while I'm home by myself with the baby. I still get fear/anxiety that I'll pass out. Yes, my face kind of gets a numb/tingly feeling. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I don't remember feeling it before. I really want to drive and feel good about hopping in the car and running out to pick up something but am still afraid and get fear in me that I'll never drive again or at least be able to enjoy driving again. I get anxiety when I think about getting in the car to drive. With the anxiety it makes me have an eerie sick feeling in my stomach. I really hate the dreamy state feeling and the feeling in my head like I'm going to pass out. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Also, I don't want to go out places because I feel so disoriented in the head in stores. Especially Kmart now.
Please keep in touch everyone! Thank you! I am praying we all get over this soon. I start thinking I'm pretty much out of the woods, but fear and anxiety is holding back. I did feel a little funny on Sunday when my husband drove around Pitt area in Pittsburgh. I think it maybe had to do with all the buildings and the busy streets. Is that common?
May God heal us all very soon! Take care and again, please keep in touch.
Nicole
Hi Biteneck

I've had my VN since the 2nd week of Oct 2011, so just a little over 9 months. I had a very good week, this week. I only had what I would consider 1 bad day, so percentage wise I am very happy. It's odd because it defocuses me so much when its bad and it makes it very difficult to think and focus on the task at hand. The tremors were somewhat better this week as well. I will keep you all updated with my progress as I really appreciate you sharing your common experiences. I too am keeping you all in my prayers. VN

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: VNHOOP
biteneck (07-28-2012), Notdiggingdizzy (08-04-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to VNHOOP For This Useful Post:
biteneck (07-28-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #45
(male)

VNHOOP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime01 View Post
Hi Nicole,

Looking for some support. Just got really scared...have you felt like this? I just got a tiingly feeling over my face, a little nausea, a hazy feeling, thought I was going to get dizzy and faint. Ive got a headache now and the chills...probably nerves now. I just don't know what is normal. Thought maybe it was my allergies...they've been bad lately. I'm ready to cry. Any thoughts?
Marcia
Hi Marcia

Yes, this is totally normal based on my experience. I have times where my nose is tingling (still happens allot of the time) and there are times when my face becomes very tingly with head pressure and headaches coupled with a very tight neck. Hang in there, it will pass and get better. When this happens, i think my panick would compound the symptoms. I also have tingling in my neck that runs up my back to my skull. Just know that you are not alone.

Closed Thread