It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User
Dizziness....what's moving, you or the environment???

I tried making a thread about this before, but I think the way I was describing this was a little too complicated for most people. So, I'll just put it this way.....If you are dealing with 24/7 dizziness, which is what I am most interested in, what do you feel is moving, YOU or the environment around you??

For me, it's absolutely the environment around me, even though when I close my eyes, I can still "sense" the environment moving. It does this to me by this insidious "shifting" sensation where it appears to me that the entire world is just floating around. "floating" is probably a better word than "Shifting" I guess. the world just floats off in all directions and I can't keep gaze on anything. IT IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. Along with this, there is a "hazy" way that my eyes tend to focus on the world as a result, and even though everything is clear, and I can read 20/20 on the eye charts, to me, nothing is ever crystal "clear".

Feel free to respond regardless of which type you have, but I am most interested in those of you with the same experience. If you respond, please let us know your diagnosis or what you think you have. It is THOUGHT that I have migraine associated vertigo brought on by severe anxiety. Although I have some pressure-related dizziness as well that makes me feel like "I" am moving but these attacks only come on during times where I am exposed to pressure differences. Yup, already evaluated for SSCD and Fistula,...NOTHING! So I am clueless about this. Anyway, that's the topic. I AM PRAYING FOR THIS SHIFTING TO GO AWAY. Oh, by the way, the environment appears totally normal while driving, or if I am moving. But as soon as I stop, the shifting/floating comes back. I HATE THIS!!!!

Rich

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User
Re: Dizziness....what's moving, you or the environment???

The environment, hands down. And it is much better when I am moving or driving as well.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

pamg6 HB User

I really disliked that feeling of the world moving...it was as if the ground was marshmellowy!!!! I don't have this symptom anymore, except an extremely light version of movement if I have overloaded my system with triggers!!!

Pam 3

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamg6 View Post
I really disliked that feeling of the world moving...it was as if the ground was marshmellowy!!!! I don't have this symptom anymore, except an extremely light version of movement if I have overloaded my system with triggers!!!

Pam 3
What kind of triggers? I have noticed that marshmellowy feeling has only been happening in the shower lately, which makes for a miserable shower... but before I had it a lot more often. I'm not sure what I did differently...

Old 07-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

That was my main symptom after getting past the acute phase. The world was constantly shifting. Turned out my eyes couldn't on anything for more than 2-3 seconds at a time when I finally had them assessed by a developmental optometrist. So the inability to focus in combo with a non-functional VOR made my world constantly in motion, 24/7, yes even with eyes closed. My diagnosis was VN and I treated it with a combo of vision therapy and VRT. Oh, and I always had 20/20 vision too and no true oscilopisa, meaning it wasn't worse when I was moving. In the last stages of my recovery this shifting became more and more subtle until it stopped for good.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Hi Looking4,

Triggers can be: Barometric Pressure, certain foods( chocolate, citrus, bananas,pizza, onions, nuts,aged cheese ie, cheddar, pepperoni, sausage, white vinegar (I think this is the correct vinegar, it would be the one in salad dressings, mayo, ketcup, mustard), caffeine, aspartame,peanut butter, irregular sleep, stress, harmones, certain alcohol, being overly hot or heated, flourescent lighting, bright lights, and some I am sure I am forgetting!!!
I react to: flourescent lights, bright lights, overly heated,barometric pressure, stress, irregular sleep....actually I think most of the triggers get to me and tend to set off or "trigger" my migraine symptoms.

Pam 3

Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniMichelle View Post
That was my main symptom after getting past the acute phase. The world was constantly shifting. Turned out my eyes couldn't on anything for more than 2-3 seconds at a time when I finally had them assessed by a developmental optometrist. So the inability to focus in combo with a non-functional VOR made my world constantly in motion, 24/7, yes even with eyes closed. My diagnosis was VN and I treated it with a combo of vision therapy and VRT. Oh, and I always had 20/20 vision too and no true oscilopisa, meaning it wasn't worse when I was moving. In the last stages of my recovery this shifting became more and more subtle until it stopped for good.
Very interesting. My shifting is just a very slow, inscidious shifting that makes the whole world move like on a cruise ship. Is that similar to what happened to you?? There's no pattern to it. If I stare off into space, the world could move left to right, right to left, up to down, down to up, float, or seemingly oblong patterns. There's also a "hazy vision" to it, almost as though nothing is really "sharp" or in focus, even though I couldn't describe it has blurry. Blurry is too strong a word but hazy fits. Even fuzzy is too strong. Does that sound right?? How did they come to a diagnosis of VN?? I have a current working diagnosis of migraine but my symptoms came on SO abruptly one day after being out in the freezing cold with my ears exposed. I wonder if I could have gotten VN. Nobody seemed to suspect it.

I woke up feeling nauseous, my vision was grainy, light bothered me, i felt off balance, i was VERRY dizzy but no spinning vertigo or vomiting, I had concentration problems like I was in a fog, the world was constantly moving, and when I would lay down at night, I couldn't sleep because I would feel the "spins" or "dizzies", whatever you want to call them, and when I would shut my eyes, my eyes would feel like they were darting back and forth inside my head (this was not nystagmus though) and when I would open my eyes and would try to focus on an object, my eyes would just slip off and I couldn't look at anything. After about 2 weeks, the dizziness settled, my eyes stopped darting inside my head, the nausea and constipation went away, but I was still left with the light sensitivity and the world was shifting around me. A few months later, the motion sensivity started and I've been chasing my tail ever since.

You finally got assessed by a developmental optometrist?? I never even heard of this type of optometrist. I have only been seen by a regular optometrist and a neuro-optometrist and neither of these guys could see anything wrong with me. Plus, your VOR reflex wasn't intact? So when they moved your head really fast, your eyes didn't stay still?? My VOR relex is fine, but something else is wrong, because my world doesn't stop moving either for some reason. Where do you find these developmental optometrists? Did you have any other symptoms besides the vision symptoms? sorry for all the questions but I'm interested in anything you know since you are the first person I've heard from that go this shifting to stop!!! To me, that's a sign of light at the end of the tunnel!!! thanks

Rich

Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
(female)

tbissell HB User

richard you just described my dizzies dead on and about the vision not being clear i have the same thing i have perfect vision i see clear but it is almost like visual static or snow or looking through clear smoke that is the best i can describe it it is worse at night and on overcasted days and better with the nice sunlight and certain lighting can make it worse i have a referal to audiologist and i think i m going to call and make an appt tom. i also can go to vrt but i am in military well hubby is and have lost my id so untill i get a new one i have to wait i ll let you know if it helps me as well have you had any vrt.. the sucky part is that this has ruined my life it started may 2nd 2005 10 days before my 18th bday walking and motion activities do help but still notice the shakyiness not as bad though but i never have energy to do anything routinely do you have brain fog as well .... i have it so bad that i am very forgetful

Last edited by tbissell; 07-22-2008 at 03:15 AM.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I think you are depicting a pretty similar description of how my eyes felt. Its so hard to describe. I would call it "dizzy" because I didn't have a better turn, but after the acute phase I wasn't really dizzy. I couldn't focus, but it wasn't a haziness, my eyes would just dart around, or actually if I forced them not to things would look hazy, like if you stare at something and relax your eyes and let it go out of focus on purpose.

My symptoms started very insidiously rather than waking up one day that way. Because of that I had a hard time getting a good diagnosis. I was diagnosed with sinus infection and just "not an ear problem" before seeing a neuro-otologist who diagnosed the VN in the right ear based on how my eyes responded to his tests.

Once my symptoms hit full blown they sounded like yours:

"I woke up feeling nauseous, my vision was grainy, light bothered me, i felt off balance, i was VERRY dizzy but no spinning vertigo or vomiting, I had concentration problems like I was in a fog, the world was constantly moving, and when I would lay down at night, I couldn't sleep because I would feel the "spins" or "dizzies", whatever you want to call them, and when I would shut my eyes, my eyes would feel like they were darting back and forth inside my head (this was not nystagmus though) and when I would open my eyes and would try to focus on an object, my eyes would just slip off and I couldn't look at anything. After about 2 weeks, the dizziness settled, my eyes stopped darting inside my head, the nausea and constipation went away, but I was still left with the light sensitivity and the world was shifting around me. A few months later, the motion sensivity started and I've been chasing my tail ever since."

I could have written that myself. I did have true vertigo one morning but that was it. I never threw up but did have nausea. My eyes would feel like they were darting back and forth and my husband could see it through my eyelids when I closed them, but this also wasn't nystagmus.

The only reason I know about developmenal/behavioral optometrists is because I'm a pediatric physical therapist. I refer to and from these professionals all the time and know that they are the only ones who look at the eyes functionally, rather than just sight and medical health. So I took it upon myself to find one and go for an evaluation. I actually saw two different ones just to compare their findings. They were the first professionals to validate the fact that my eyes couldn't focus more than a few seconds at a time- no wonder the world was always moving.

Are you sure your VOR is intact? When you try the gaze stabilization exercises are they easy for you?

There is an association of developmental optometrists. You can do a search for it and they will give you local names. Basically if an optometrist offers vision therapy they will know how to evaluate the eyes functionally.

I had lots of other symptoms other than the vision. The 24/7 movement is what made me insane though. I had nausea on and off, motion sensitivity, light sensitivity at the beginning, balance problems, dizziness triggered by patterns, fatigue, low blood sugar, and prob lots of other things too.

There is hope so keep fighting! Its about finding the right pieces to your own puzzle because its different for everyone. Some people are lucky and find good doctors who figure it out for them, others like myself, have to figure it out themselves.

Closed Thread