It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

pamg6 HB User
idea for weaning off Effexor, Zoloft, Paxil

Hi,

I have been reading lots on the board about the horrible side effects to weaning off these meds. I added in Effexor about 6 weeks ago for Migraine Syndrome, and although I don't plan to go off this drug for awhile, I have been a bit nervous in adavance!!! I just read this in my local paper and wanted to share.

A doctor told his patient that he could have a local cutom pharmacy make up "gummies" (like the kids candy). Each week or two the pharmacy would put a little less of the drug until it got down to a minute amount. It took weeks, but it helped lessen the side effects.
The response to this article was: Having the doctor prescribe a gradually decreasing dose for the compounding pharmacist to include in gummy candy is an innovative solution to a thorny problem.

Pam 3

Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User
Re: idea for weaning off Effexor, Zoloft, Paxil

Interesting idea. I came off Klonopin about seven months ago and had a hell of a time. Cutting up little bits and pieces of pill made it more stressful.

L4A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi, Pam--

I was just wondering how the Effexor is working for you...have you noticed a difference? I remember you were trying the 5htp and then you stopped that and moved on to the E. I hope you're seeing some benefits!

--Violet

Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Pam,

Interesting idea. The easiest way to dump an SSRI is to have a ton of patience and go SLOWLY. And beause we have dizzy problems to boot, we really have to take it easy. It took me about 6 attempts to finally get off Cipramil. Very tough it was but I haven't been on it now for about 3 months. It IS doable. I may go back onto another one however. Not certain just yet. It'll either be a low dose of lexapro or effexor. I like the Effexor idea because if I decide to drop the dose, I can weigh out the beads in the lab! A pain but easier in some ways than hacking pills up with a knife.

Scott

Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Scot,

Thats a great idea!!! I will keep that one in mind when it's time for me to wean off Effexor!!

Pam 3

Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Hi Violet,

I am doing better and at least at this point am glad we added in Effexor. I am not 100% but then my trigger level is probobly very difficult to raise considering my triggers!!!!!
I hope you are well!!

Pam 3

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Pam--

That sounds great! I am very glad to hear it. I am also doing better; doing some new VRTs and meeting with someone about the possibility of migraine meds. I'm sure I'll be posting on that with questions if it turns out I need to start them. I am just reluctant b/c of the pregnancy issue...it seems like the worst timing for this dizziness! I'm in my mid 30s.

Anyway, thanks for catching up with me! It's great to hear that you have almost left the dizzies behind.

Violet

Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

There is also a protocol for switching over from any of these meds to prozac, which has the least withdrawl problems, then you wean down the prozax, but I don't know the exact protocol. Something to look into though

Rich

Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
(male)

FoggedOutRog HB User

I was on Zoloft for 4 years then it stopped working and I was put on Effexor for 4yrs. After 8yrs I decided enough was enough. I was on it for "depression" but both drugs made me feel like a zombie. My best friend said in 8yrs I hardly ever smiled until I was off of them for good. IMHO, it keeps you from getting depressed because it suppresses your ability to care. I didn't like that feeling. Anyways, I had high co-pays and couldn't afford to get a script and doc had no samples. So, I ended up having to stop, cold turkey. It was ugly for the first few days, but gradually it all went full circle and I was fine. I was taking 225mg a day (75mg/3x). I'm not saying it was the best idea to stop cold turkey, but im saying it can be done. It's doable.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

WOW!!!! You stopped that dosage of Effexor,....COLD TURKEY after all that time??? You are WAY braver than I lol. Well, guess it CAN be done then!

My anxiety is so bad right now, I'd rather not smile, and simply keep a straight face, than to cry and worry 24 hours a day like I am right now. so I think I need it!

Rich

Closed Thread