It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Prozac

Hi V and G,

I'm really between a rock and a hard place at the moment. It looks like my trial on lexapro has really made a mess of things. Just 9 days on it and I'm all over the shop. I've just had two straight nights of mad symptoms and feeling quite horrific. Hard to believe that just 5 nights ago I was sleeping like a baby and now it's turned into this hurricane!

I'm just wondering since you're both either using or have used Prozac, what it was like going onto the stuff. I have to make a decision on what to do re an SSRI in the next 24-48 hours because I am flying to Canada in ONE WEEK. I can hardly believe it but if I have to get on a plane in my current state, it'll be a disaster.

I could go back onto Cipramil which I know, however, I HATE the side effects – namely myalgia and increased headache being the worst. Lexapro was like someone putting a rocket up my backside so that's out. Effexor is just too different a med (SNRI) for me to be playing with right now with an international flight coming so I was thinking about Prozac.

Anyone else who has Prozac experience please chime in. It sounds like an easy SSRI to both start on and discontinue and might spare me some of the side effects.

Thanks ... Scott

Last edited by studyin; 08-14-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User
Re: Violet or Gloria - Prozac

Scott,

What about Klonopin? Have you tried it? I'll tell you straight up front that I had a hell of a time coming off of it but I was on it for over six months and it's really meant to be used short term. It works as advertised--really kills the anxiety.

L4A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

Scott, sorry to hear of your trouble. But I thought you went OFF the lexapro. Are you having withdrawl problems now?? Is that the problem?? Let me know.

Prozac supposedly has the weakest effect on Serotonin, and therefore causes the least amount of messing with your brain. However, it supposedly has the highest incidence of side-effects. But it's supposedly a piece of cake to get on and off due to the long half life. But the "off" thing with lexapro, is that it's supposed to have the LEAST amount of side-effects of all the SSRI's even though it's the most specific on serotonin. So I'm surprised you are having a heck of a time on it. You would probably not do well on Effexor, even at a low dose, if you are not handling Lexapro, because the extra adrenaline from hitting neuroephineprhine, which effexor hits, causes even MORE "rocket up your butt" type activity lol, and you will only be worse for it. So, perhaps prozac IS the way to go, but the sexual side-effects are the absolute worst of all the SSRI's, as well as SE's in general, but the zombification tends to be less. This is what info I have found.

I will be starting Lexapro, and I'll give it a few days, and see what happens. If I don't tolerate it from the start, I will not be sticking it out. Apparently, if Lexapapro stinks from the start, it tends to continue to stink. I will use that guideline when taking it. Good luck Scott. I know how you feel because other than the ability to sleep, which I can do fine, I feel the way you are feeling all the time.

When did the bad feelings on Lexapro start?? from the beginning? They say that with lexapro, if it stinks from the start, don't stick it out, it doesn't get better. I wish I knew that before. I would have mentioned it. I hope the prozac works out for you my friend :-)

Rich

Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Rich and L4A,

Rich – sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. I was on Lex for 9 days and then stopped taking it cold turkey 9 days ago. I had to stop because I felt like I should have been at a dance party all day long. I was out of my mind - super high but not a happy high, just agitation and the feeling like I was going to leap outta my skin and freak out.

Amazingly, I am in much better form today even after a crappy night last night. I did get the sleep in though with the help of valium. I just can't believe how massively I can swing from one day to the next. I do like the sound of Prozac having a relatively weak effect on serotonin reuptake. I only ever need a small adjustment to get the results I need. But the libido death is NOT good. I may still try Effexor to know for certain if it's like putting an Apollo rocket up my back side or not lol. Who knows, it could be the silver bullet.

When you tried Effexor that one time, how much did you take? Wondering if you'd do better introducing it at a lower dose much more slowly in the same way Gloria introduced Prozac.

L4A – I already use valium (a different benzo) which does work well but is not a long-term solution. At the end of the day I need to tweak serotonin levels. I wouldn't be keen on taking a benzo continuously long-term anyway because they are massively addictive meds and can cause depression and all sorts of other weird things over the long run. For now I regard benzos as a temp measure (like a band-aid) when the $%^& really hits the fan.

Scott

Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Scott,

Still doing great since the last we spoke. I'm not 100%, but most of that is due to my dreaded tinnitus which even that has seemed to get slightly better on the Prozac. I am hardly dizzy at all any more and that is even when my head feels goofy (slight pressure/brain sensations) I still have gone out to places (stores, etc. with no dizzy problem). I don't have any anxiety any more and only mild depression on and off.

My doctor choose prozac (I take the generic form fluxotine) because he claimed it to be the easiest to tolerate. His intentions for me to take it was to calm my CNS which in turn would help my headaches and dizziness. It pretty much killed the dizziness and I don't get too bad of headaches anymore. It is nothing compaired to the 24/7 headaches I had for the first 2 1/2 years. Yes, he did start me out extremely slow as to not disrupt my system too much and considering my past history of meds he didn't want to take too big of a chance. With my experience with doctors, I really trust this neurologist I've been seeing the past year or so. He has been right about everything he has told me thus far.

As far as side effects, I think I probably got away with very little. With each small dose, I would experience some mild nausea lasting on and off for about 3 -4 weeks and a bit of insominia for the first week. The insomnia was not bad and usually after tossing and turning for about an hour, I'd fall asleep and stay asleep until morning. My stomach would growl after taking it for a few hours the first week but was never upset/hurt. Lastly, the only other thing that may be a side effect of the prozac is my thyroid has been thrown off a bit so it could be the prozac messing with my synthroid. I'm still trying to figure this out. I have to go get my TSH/T4/T3 checked next month and will go from there. It could just be coincidence that my thyroid started acting up now, but that should not effect you at all.

As far as libido mine improved drastically on the prozac.

I did take it extremely slow per my neurologist's advice. I can give you the details on that later as I don't think it is appropriate to post that on this thread.

I'd like to think it was time that got me to this point (I do believe some of that is from time), but I think the prozac made a huge difference for me. It killed all the anxiety and a lot of the depression this junk caused me.

I will never recommend klonopin to any one as you know how bad my experience on it and worse yet coming off it was, but I'll give the prozac thumbs up. Everyone is different however.

Good luck Scott. I hope you aren't making yourself feel crazy from switching back and forth with meds. I'd try starting out even slower on the next one you try so you can stick with it.

Take care.
Gloria

Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi, Scott--

I also recommend Prozac. I took it for seven years and after the beginning stages it had very few side effects. I started on 20 mg and I remember I did have that agitated/high kind of feeling, which was odd, but it did pass. Also, I think you can start on less of a dose now. Later I felt completely normal--no more panic attacks, very little depression, and no more depersonalization. Lasting side effects were: I took naps in the day (which I never normally do), I was unusually laid back about things, I had some of that restless leg stuff at night, I think I lost a little weight, and it did affect my libido. These side effects were very minor compared to the way I felt before. It was fine to get off of it--I really dragged it out over months and had no problems (years later).

Just talking about it makes me think I need to get some, too! I just bought my nori...just wish it was safe during pregnancy!

Good luck, Scott! Keep us posted.

Violet

Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

You asked how much Effexor I took. I went straight for it at the full starting dose of 37.5mg. It wasn't the end of the world but it was tough. Too tough to continue after just one pill. I took the pill, and within a few hours, the agitation slowly started to come on. But it WAS slow and steady. The nausea also came on slowly, along with this feeling that I wanted to yawn all the time, and everytime I would yawn, I would be slightly nauseous, so I tried NOT to yawn. The headache came by late evening, and I peaked in intensity by about 7pm (took the dose around 1pm). So it was a 6 hour ride up. But sleeping was not possible. I was on the edge of consciousness all night, but not so rowled up that I was going out of my mind, it was just that I couldn't get into a deep sleep. I think I managed to sleep a little in there, and when I got up the next day, the dizziness was already full swing, but I wasn't panicked about it, but the headache, agitation, and nausea were still there. According to my dosing schedule, I wasn't supposed to take another pill the next day anyway. I was supposed to start by taking a pill every OTHER day. So, I was allowed this next day to level off some. The only problem is, I didn't level off at all lol. I stayed in exactly the same condition that entire day, with the nausea, low-grade headache, agitation (my eyes were buldging out of my head), and insomnia although I slept slightly better that night. The next morning, still dizzy, I said no way. can't do this. All in all, it took 5 full nights to get back to normal and that was on ONE PILL of Effexor at the full 37.5mg. It was pretty strong stuff. Perhaps I would have done better if I had slowly gone up at 1/3 or 1/4 of the original dosage but I didn't know any better, and this was the dosage he told me to take. So that's what I did. Now, being given lexapro, I wonder if I will have a similar effect. I KNOW I needs the SSRI experience. I am just wondering which SSRI would have the least side-effects. According to a prominent website on these types of meds, Lexapro has the least side-effects, but it's also the most specific on serotonin. So, it's most likely to mess with your brain. Not cool. But Paxil is by far the most difficult SSRI to be on, and I was on it for 2 years, so if I can handle Paxil, I should be able to handle Lexapro. We'll have to see. I just can't handle being off the wall, so I am going to super super super slow if need be. I suggest the same for the prozac. I would choose the prozac myself, but I am hoping the lexapro works, and I am done right here, and if so, Lexapro has the least likelyhood of causing the sexual side-effects. Prozac is most likely. So I'd hate to get on the prozac, find out it works, but be as dead as a doornail!!! I guess it's all hit or miss, but it seems the lexapro is a good middle of the road if my goal is to get on one, and hopefully not get off. Scott, since you;ve tried a bunch and can't seem to tolerate them well, the prozac just might be the way to go, but go SUPER slow. I'll be starting off with 1/4 of lexapro, maybe smaller, and going up every 7-10 days. I'm not going to rush it. The topamax has me at a point where I am not DYING, so I am not going to risk making myself 10x worse for nothing. I'm going to take it as slow as I need to. Good luck my friend, we both need it!

Rich

Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
(female)

lady68 HB User

Hello everyone,

Scott sorry to intrude in your post, hope that your feeling better.

Violet, I had a question to ask you if you don't mind.
I read your post where you wrote that you took prozac and that it helped you with your depersonalization...my question is, did you have depersonalization for many days or just get it when you would have an anxiety attack.

The reason why I ask is that I've suffered from depersonalization on and off for the last 12 years, been on paxil for 9 years on and off. The paxil helps with my anxiety but doesn't really help with the depersonalization.
This week my doctor changed my paxil to prozac but I'm too scared to change, I always panic when I need to try a new medication... What caught my attention in your post is that the prozac helped with your depersonalization, so I was thinking that maybe I should give it a change.

Thank you so much and hope to read from you.

Lady 68

Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there Lady 68...

I did have the depersonalized feeling all the time...I had a mix of periodic panic attacks and depression as well. I had the symptoms for maybe 2 years before trying prozac. I don't remember how quickly everything abated. I did feel a bit manic at the beginning (it passed), but now one can start at 10 mg, which I think is a great idea. I also did raise my dose over the years, but mostly for the depression. The other symptoms responded more fully and more quickly.

I would definitely give prozac a try...each person's chemistry is different, of course, but it did really work for me.

Good luck!
Violet

Old 08-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
(female)

lady68 HB User

Thank you soo much Violet for your kind reply.
Its really nice of you to take the time.
I will give prozac a chance.

I know we all react different to medications and with paxil I gained about 30 pounds. Did you have any weight gain with prozac?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Prozac

Hi there....actually, prozac tends to result in weight loss. I did lose some weight on it, although I wasn't paying attention to that at the time...must have just reduced my appetite or increased my metabolism?? I think weight gain with paxil is quite common. I'm not sure why they act in such different ways.

I'm about to try some prozac again to see if it might help me now. I hope I'm not disappointed! This time around my main problem is dizziness, so I'm hoping the prozac won't increase that or increase migraines...we'll see. I got the 10 mg to start with.

Also, I just wanted to point out that I didn't feel perfectly normal for awhile on the meds...it may even have been a year...but gradually I got better. I didn't have any major side effects except for the initial buzzing kind of feeling, so it was easy for me to tolerate and ride it out.

Keep us posted on how you do...I'm hoping it has the same good effects for you!

Violet

Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
(female)

bcrelief HB User

Hmm, so it sounds like Prozac has been helpful to a few here and the side effects are low? I know everyone is different, but those of you who are on/were on Prozac - did you have any trouble sleeping or sexual (not drive, but uh, you know!) Violet - can you provide any more to all of us info re: side effects and how Prozac helped you overall? Why did you go off of it? Were you on it with specific migraine meds too? Thanks.

I wish Gloria would come back and fill us in on her treatment! I read her January post and then the one here, and it looks like she has found something that has helped? Her comment about calming down the Central Nervous System struck a cord with me - I wonder if that is what is being done using the anti-depressives?

Last edited by bcrelief; 09-02-2008 at 06:47 AM.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there BC-

I didn't take the prozac for migraine, so I'm not sure what effect it would/will have on that. I took it for anxiety and depression, and it got rid of those problems as well as depersonalization feelings. I took it for a long time and got off to have children, although I understand that now it is considered genearlly safe during pregnancy. I was fine getting off of it and have not needed anything for seven years. The side effects were not overwhelming to me, although certainly I had some...I think I mentioned them earlier. Lost some weight, "drive" was affected, restless legs at night, some manic/hyper kinds of feelings early on. I slept a lot more--naps, etc., and was probably a bit too laid back, but it was all worth it...I was still "myself" and was able to function and gradually heal.

Some people take an SSRI with an anti-migraine med, like topamax or verapamil. Best to discuss this with your neuro, as a lot depends on your medical history.

Good luck!
Violet

Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
(female)

bcrelief HB User

Thanks, Violet! Trying to figure out the best med combination is obviously the key, and I am doing my homework early so I can better discuss these things with the neuro-doc in a few days. I too am worried about side effects of the meds, so was really curious to hear about the Prozac compared to others SSRI's, and also interested in what others took with it for migraine. The Effexor sounds too extreme (from what I've read here) and Tomomax makes me nervous with the possibility of blindness (slim, I know, but I already am having major eye issues - sensitivity,etc.) Verapamil seems better? Am also trying to figure out what I can use with my sleep problems (which I had prior to all this stuff, but now has gotten worse due to it!)

Anyway, thanks all for the continued info! Best, BC

Last edited by bcrelief; 09-02-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Quote:
I wish Gloria would come back and fill us in on her treatment! I read her January post and then the one here, and it looks like she has found something that has helped? Her comment about calming down the Central Nervous System struck a cord with me - I wonder if that is what is being done using the anti-depressives?
Hi BC

I have been on here so long and am doing so much better that I get busy enjoying things a little more so I don't consume myself with this junk as much anymore. I was so traumatized by events that lead to my condition that I just want to try and put it behind me and get on with life with my hubby and son.

Yes, I feel the prozac has helped me tremendously. The damage to my CNS was so great that I just could not control my emotions/feeling, etc anymore. The prozac on an extremely low doseage has helped control my fight or flight responses which in turn has clamed my headaches, pretty much stopped my dizziness and has halted a lot of other strange symptoms I had. I'm not 100% recovered but feel confident I will get there now.

I did not have any help for the first 2 + years of this junk until I went to Dr. Kaneicki at UPMC's Headache Center in Oakland. He is so wonderful and has really good bed-side manors. He told me he has seen these symtpoms before and helped others and have seen them recover fully too.

Hope that answers your questions.

Gloria

Closed Thread