It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
(male)

Katkin HB User
Crutches! (And other things which help me feel more balanced).

I have got a bad foot at the moment (a metal bar fell on it at work) and I've noticed that walking with crutches just makes me feel so much better balance wise... more stable! (I happen to be slightly off balance at the moment.. ideal testing conditions lol!)
I have been sometimes known to walk with a stick for stability (I figured I don't care if people think any negative things about a young person with a stick - like teasing me, it's worth it to feel more balanced!)

So yeah. Sticks and particularly crutches feel great balance-wise!

On a similar theme I pushed my friend in his wheelchair around London a couple of months ago (whee check me out going into central London with all the visual stimulation and loud sounds!!! Couldn't have done that a while ago! HURRAH!) Ehem sorry anyway back to the point! I was pushing my friend and it made my balance feel SO MUCH better! It was amazing. Just felt .. more solid having something to push against and lean on. He has since suggested I get a walker thingy (you know it has handles like wheelchair handles and it's on wheels and you can put a shopping bag on it, type thing). I even looked at one in a mobility centre. But I'm not sure I could handle some of the people and comments they'd give me about that (the area I live in is quite rough and I'd probably get severely mocked or beaten up or something...best avoided really)! I think it would be ok for someone to do if they lived in a nice area. They could decorate it up or something so it didn't look like only something elderly people use.
But I might just buy my own crutch when I give these back, because people understand about people having crutches (and it looks less embarrassing than my stick ).

Edit: Forgot to say that my dog makes me feel so much better too. Her gentle pull on the harness/lead makes me somehow feel more balanced and having her with me makes me braver! I've even looked into having her trained into being an assistance dog. But as I'm so much better than I was I don't think I probably need to or will bother to make her an official assistance dog (although she definitely is an assistance dog in her own way!). But I do think it would a good idea for some dizzy people to have a faithful friend at their side helping them

Last edited by Katkin; 08-30-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Adding a bit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User
Re: Crutches! (And other things which help me feel more balanced).

That's great you've found some things to help you along with this mess. It's weird how some things help some, and don't others. I see you mentioned pushing your friend in the wheelchair helped you a bit. Well, when I'm pushing a grocery cart, omg...i can't handle that feeling...it's the weirdest thing. Like I would rather hold onto something, but not while it's moving too.. weird.

Hope your foot heals up nicely....and takes the dizzies with it

Old 08-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
(male)

Katkin HB User
Re: Crutches! (And other things which help me feel more balanced).

Thanks Alexi!
Well I think the wheelchair felt quite solid because he's quite heavy hehe! I was always pushing against him. I forgot to mention that another reason I was hesitant on the walker thingy was because it was light and like.. nothing to push against. I don't think that would be a nice feeling! I can imagine that yes pushing a wheeled thing when not even feeling in control of your own balance feels very kind of balance upsetting and odd! Too many signals at once to cope with haha. (Although I find that grocery carts aren't too bad for me, I quite like them!) Yeah it is interesting how some people feel better with some stuff and it makes other people feel funny! I remember some people saying they feel awful going along in a car but better when it stops and some saying the opposite.
I think the crutches feel so good because they're solid and pushing onto the ground type thing. Like having 2 extra legs for support! Or really long arms hehehe.
Hope your dizzies go away soon too! Thanks

Last edited by Katkin; 08-31-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Closed Thread