It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User
Migraine headaches

How many of us with "migraine syndrome" get migraine headaches?

I get definite discomfort in my head and neck, particularly on the left side. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I can feel my heart beating in my neck and lower skull. I think I may be reactive to weather changes because it has been raining here all day and I feel much worse today. My ears burn inside, I have a mild achy headache, the floor feels like it is bouncing and I actually had a nanosecond of what felt like true vertigo. It was scary. It's so hard to be home with a little kid throughout all of this, with no family around. My ears are ringing and my vision is vibrating. All I want to do is crawl in bed and escape. I forced myself to get a few things at the store this morning, then went to a small get together of friends and their kids, then had lunch out with my son and then looked at shoes at the mall. Such a minor day for most people but I almost couldn't do it. I almost bolted while the sales lady was retrieving a pair of shoes for me to try.

I have been reading a lot about our thoughts and how they affect our health. I know I am guilty of lots of negative thinking and bad coping throughout my life. I am trying so hard to turn that around. I feel right now like it is so ingrained in me it's like a monster that I have to kill. CK, have you started that book? I got kind of tired of the repetition about negative thinking and couldn't wait to get to the part about how do we HELP ourselves! I'm just there now.

L4A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

willholl HB User
Re: Migraine headaches

Hi L4A,

I was actually going to post and ask if anyone from the Chicago area was suffering more today because of the weather. I haven't been feeling too great lately either. And these storms are supposed to last all weekend!

My head is a bit achy too, but it's actually not as bad as it was, so I'm not really complaining. I was upset yesterday because I am trying to follow the migraine diet, and avoid caffeine, but I ended up accidentally picking up a caffeinated soda. This really shouldn't be that upsetting, but I was, for quite awhile, and anxiously wondering if I was going to get walloped with dizziness.

I'm getting that book tomorrow. Figured it couldn't hurt!

I guess you're able to drive through your symptoms, too? I guess I could but I'm scared to try. Maybe I should, on a good day...

willholl

Old 09-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi there L4A--

It sounds like you did a lot today! I also tried to behave "normally" today...went to the mall, a toystore, and the bookstore (looking for gifts)..and yes I also feel horrible! I don't even know if "dizzy" is the right word...I get really really tired and have a kind of feeling in my head that I have to go lie down to make go away...it's like my brain is completely taxed and wants to shut down.

I do get the headaches, but not with horrible pain...it ranges from mild to moderate...an achy/throbbing kind of feeling...can last all day...sometimes four advil make it mostly go away other times not. I get them most days of my cycle (sometimes preceding it as well), and other times it is kind of unpredictable.

Take care!

Violet

Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Willholl--I do drive a bit around my house, but not much at all on the highway. I don't have a problem veering about or anything, but I don't like tons of visual stimulation and whipping my head back and forth in lots of traffic...at the beginning I didn't drive at all. I find it is good to get out and about for my sanity, even if I stick close to home.

Violet

Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User

Hey Violet,

Do you get the feeling that your individual symptoms wax and wane? For the last week or so the dizziness has hardly bothered me but the weakness in my right foot and right hand has been bothering me to the point of sending an email about it to Dr. Hain. Today I have a pretty substantial headache, I am dizzy, very off balance, and my vision is funky. My head feels full. I would attribute these symptoms to the barometic pressure change as we are having lots of rain as willholl attested to! But the weakness all of a sudden is practically non-existent. This is so weird. What's frustrating is that when a symptom goes you think, "Well it went away so now this new set will go away too" but then they just seem to replace each other on this rotational schedule. I don't know. Overactive thinking today with too much time on my hands. I remain hopeful it will all get better one of these days...

willholl--I do drive, mostly because I'm the only one home most of the time and my son has to go to school. But actually driving doesn't bother me and makes me feel a little better most of the time. If I'm in the car long enough I can forget that I have this junk going on. Then I get out and the ground bounces and I remember...

L4A

Last edited by lookng4answrs; 09-12-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

L4A--

I have a hard time judging my symptoms clearly, actually. In general they have gotten better since this all started, but they do usually worsen a bit during the cycle week and they definitely worsened after my nori trial. I do think I have some better days and some worse days, but it is usually very subtle for me. I'm still figuring this all out...one symptom that does come and go is the tingling in my mouth area and also the headaches. The rest of it tends to stick and get worse with activity.

I remember another board member saying that sometimes with treatment the various symptoms are somehow stripped back in some way...that some will go and new ones will appear and then go away as well. Maybe that is happening with you with your med?

I don't know. The more I learn the more confusing it all is...

Have your symptoms worsened over the years or gotten better somewhat or just changed?

Violet

Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User

Violet,

Mine started with neck pain, then slight off balance. So things have progressively gotten worse in the 10 months I've had this. I've been on the Verapamil twice, once for six weeks and now for almost four. It helps some of the symptoms, but today I would say is one of the worst days yet. Maybe the weather...

All of this started for me right after coming off Klonopin that I was on for six months. And just starting the gluten free diet for celiac disease. So much was happening to my body and in my life right before this all started. From what I've read my "coping skills" are less than stellar and may very well have triggered at least some of what's gone on.

Does living in a faster paced city like NY help you, I wonder? Maybe occupies you a little more than living in the 'burbs like me...

L4A

Old 09-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

L4A--

I don't think that you should blame yourself in any way re: coping skills and this illness. I think it would try the patience of a saint! The symptoms are very difficult to live with in terms of quality of life. I was reading about MAV being essentially related to low serotonin levels, and migraine being closely related to depression, anxiety, etc...it's all genetic. I believe in this theory 100 percent. If you view this problem as a neurologic illness, then it is in a way very upsetting but also we cannot hold ourselves accountable for its existence. I'm sure we can learn to deal with it better...counseling might help--it has been recommended to me as well as other folks I know with debilitating migraines. I think you're doing a great job handling this...I'll bet there are stages one goes through with any difficult chronic illness..disbelief, anger, etc etc all leading to better coping down the road. We're on our way!! Also, I think it is great the meds are helping you and I think that bodes well for the future.

re: the weather, I have to say I hated last winter with this and am somewhat dreading this winter...the sun makes me feel much happier about everything!

note: the celiac/klonopin stuff may well have triggered the mav--is that what the docs think? maybe you needed klonopin bc some brain chemistry issues were starting to occur? i don't know...just theorizing here...i think for me the vn triggered big brain chemistry changes that were too much for my system to take, so here I am! Perhaps any illness can do that if one is genetically susceptible..

Take care, L4A!!!

Violet

Old 09-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User

violet,

It is so funny you bring up the serotonin levels. I have just been reading that as well! Now how do we increase the levels?!?

L4A

Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, you would think the ssris would work for that, but it seems they aren't first choice when it comes to migraine. I do think 5htp has helped me get through this illness (it helps your body make more serotonin), but I'm still pretty dizzy. It has helped most with mood and sleeping, which was majorly disrupted by this illness. I got my prozac today so I'll probably try it soon...hope it doesn't make me any worse, anyway! I'll let you know how that goes...

Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User

Violet,

Do you know the difference between ssri and benzodiazepine?

Re: the serotonin, I read that eating foods rich in tryptophans will help--turkey, dairy, etc. But we would have to find turkey that is low in preservatives since I believe processed meats are migraine triggers.

L4A

Old 09-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

L4A--

Well, I think benzos are tranquilizers while ssris are antidepressants that inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, hence prolonging its effects in your brain. Very different meds. Over time, ssris also have a calming effect and get rid of anxiety attacks, etc.

I have also read that about the foods...

It could be that it's not just about not having enough serotonin, but maybe our bodies don't use it properly in some way. No doubt it's complicated! It certainly feels that way...

Hope you're having a good day today! I'm feeling headachy but less dizzy, which is an improvement for me...who knows why!!??

Take care,
Violet

Closed Thread