It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Question for the migraineurs

Hi fellow MAVers,

Since my arrival in Sydney I've been feeling like I was thrown under a bus. It's been a solid 7 days of being dizzy, surreal, headachy ... and on it goes. But what I want to ask you guys is this:

Do you ever experience this like you're being hit with severe flu? It started in Canada and has only gotten worse since being home. I have very little energy – almost like a chronic fatigue. I ache everywhere, especially in my lower back, neck and shoulders. I'm waking in the night with heart palpitations and dizziness and when I wake in the morning to get up, I feel totally horrific for about the first 5 minutes. At work, sitting in front of my Mac is torturous because I have so much achiness and pain/headache, and sometimes I just feel surreal and dizzy, even slightly anxious from it. My motivation and spark is gone. It's all ugly stuff but I can't help wondering if I have some weird recurrent viral illness on top of it all or is this part of MAV? My eyes look heavy with darkness under them. I feel like I'm fighting off low level depression with it all too. What the hell is this? I HATE it.

Thanks for any input ... Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Re: Question for the migraineurs

Hi Scott,

Yes, I felt and still occasionally feel like this. I remember 4 years ago when I started seeing a therapist for the pain she told me she caught a virus and ended up feeling like she had the flu for 8 years before it just little by little went away.

My neurologist thinks it is fibromyalgia for me. I've researched a lot on fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and what I have found out is that they are symptoms that seem to come on after a battle with illness/virus or neurological problems.

Let me also warn you that there is a virus going around here that has flu like symptoms. I had it about 3 - 4 weeks ago and it lasted a good 2 weeks. I was so achy, had headaches and cold like symptoms. My stomach was a bit upset/nauseated too. You could have picked it up when you traveled this way particularly on the plane.

I often wonder if my years long battle was from a virus as well.

Hope you feel better. I just got your message and will go respond back to that. Drink some green tea and try to relax the weekend.

Gloria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Gloria,

I think it could be what you are describing – the result of battling a neurological problem/extended illness. And when it gets stirred up enough the flu-like stuff arrives. I've had this a few times before, usually after too much physical activity, but it passes within a day or two. This time it's just hanging around day after day. There's no fever or anything else going on to suggest it's a real flu and there were previews of this in Canada followed by days of no symptoms at all.

Aother thing that is not good with this relapse is the effect on my vision. Things can be quite blurry. I think Violet mentioned how her vision gets so much worse sometimes. This is a new one for me. Don't like new problems because I can't know where it's going or how long it might last. At least the jet lag is almost gone. Once my sleep becomes more routine, maybe it'll end this garbage.

Scott

Old 09-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi there Scott--

I'm so sorry to hear that your symptoms have ramped up. Still, I think it is amazing that you took that trip--that is an accomplishment for sure!!

Just wanted to say that my initial onset of dizziness was preceded by about 20 minutes or so of sudden flu-like achiness/feverish feeling without the fever. It passed when the dizziness started. This has never been explained to me...was it migraine or some delayed reaction to the flu vaccine I got 2 weeks before or some new or existing viral illness that caused the dizziness? I have no idea. Do you feel feverish at all? The only other time I have felt that way was with the flu, I believe...such a sudden onset of feeling ill--weird!! But for me it has not happened again (yet).

I think viruses may well have a lot to do with these weird symptoms we have..even if migraine is involved as well.

I don't have any eye issues (except ongoing positional nystagmus), but I do have incredible fatigue. I also have been reading about chronic fatigue syndrome this week...it really is as disabling as the dizziness, but the two seem so interrelated to me that I tend to focus on the dizzy problem. I used to think it was b/c of my inner ear damage, but then I found out that migraine is also linked with extreme fatigue:

"Fatigue is a common symptom frequently reported in many disorders including headaches, but little is known about its nature. The objective was to determine the prevalence of fatigue in chronic migraine (CM) patients, to define its subtypes and its relationship with other conditions comorbid with CM. Sixty-three CM patients were analysed. The Fatigue Severity Scale (FSS), the Chalder fatigue scale and the CDC diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) were used. Fifty-three (84.1%) patients had FSS scores greater than 27. Forty-two (66.7%) patients met the CDC criteria for CFS. Thirty-two patients (50.8%) met the modified CDC criteria (without headache). Beck depression scores correlated with FSS, mental and physical fatigue scores. Trait anxiety scores also correlated with fatigue scales. Women had higher FSS scores than men, P < 0.05. Physical fatigue was associated with fibromyalgia, P < 0.05. Fatigue as a symptom and CFS as a disorder are both common in CM patients. Therapeutic interventions include a graded aerobic exercise program, cognitive behavioural therapy and antidepressants. Identification of fatigue and its subtypes in headache disorders and recognition of headaches in CFS patients has implications for the pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment of these disorders."

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon! I've been kind of up and down myself lately....getting hormones, etc., checked next week. (I read about your interest in that...looked up bioidentical hormones in my area and found a guy for that who is also covered by my insurance--yay!) Hopefully some more days of rest will get your system back to normal...maybe it just needs to settle down a bit.

Violet

Old 09-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for the info Violet!

I'm thinking about throwing some pizotifen at this for a few days as an abortive med. It has worked for me in this sense before if I use it for about 4 days. The strong antihistamine properties (like Benadryl) seem to knock it out. It will mean feeling like a zombie though too but it'll be worth it if it kills this.

I just really hate how this thing seems to have moved into a new area for me – namely this feeling that it's messing with my vision now. This focus thing is bad news. One thing about this condition I fear really is the way it appears to morph over time and select new areas to mess up. It feels like someone has put glue in my left eye.

The fatigue thing really does suck and sorry to hear you're dealing with it too. Interesting how in the article they say "graded aerobic exercise plan". Certainly true because if you hit this too hard, too fast with exercise, you wind up much worse off.

On that note I've been doing just that and have been back walking down the coast. I'm going to do an 8 km walk now at an easy pace to slowly push up my endurance and hopefully see the end to this fatigue.

Cheers ... Scott

Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Yes, yes and yes...You describe it well...ache, extremely tired...just drag myself thru the day. I can also get what feels like a cold...stuffy...and back pain/neck pain. What the heck, right? Scott wonder if it is due to the weather?

Thinking of you.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cknmbbl HB User

Hi,
Just thought I would chime in. I have terrible fatigue. Just thinking about doing something makes me exhaused.

A couple of weeks ago out of no where I felt like I had the flu without any fever. I was very weak and could hardly eat. Went to the dr after 4 days of this and ended up on IVs. My dr said he thinks that with my vestibular issues my body is so tired it just can't handle even the smallest virus. So, I'm really looking forward to winter.

Hang in there, Scotsman. It WILL get better. Let yourself get the rest you need.

CK

Old 09-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Quote:
I think it could be what you are describing – the result of battling a neurological problem/extended illness. And when it gets stirred up enough the flu-like stuff arrives. I've had this a few times before, usually after too much physical activity, but it passes within a day or two. This time it's just hanging around day after day. There's no fever or anything else going on to suggest it's a real flu and there were previews of this in Canada followed by days of no symptoms at all.

Aother thing that is not good with this relapse is the effect on my vision. Things can be quite blurry. I think Violet mentioned how her vision gets so much worse sometimes
Yes that is exactly how I feel at times and I never have a fever. You know Scott, I am really wondering if you picked up a virus on top of everything else that was going on vestibularly. I was telling Howie, I was a mess for about 2 weeks because of the virus I had. My vision which has been much better the past year, was really blurred. I've talked to others that had similar symptoms including blurred vision and they don't have these goofy head symptoms.

Hope this post finds you feeling better by now.
Glo

Old 09-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi All,

Well today, the fatigue has left – just like that – and I don't really ache that much either but the surreal alien head is in full swing. Today I decided to massage the muscle around the jaw to see how it felt and to keep working on loosening it up. It has left me dizzier than I could have imagined. I'm now wondering just how much of this is being stirred up on a continual basis by my night clenching and the stress on the jaw muscles. Either that or the muscles are just so close to the inner ear that massaging them stirs everything up anyway. I just don't know anynore and am sick of trying to figure it all out. I still have a really weird pressure around my eyes and still cannot focus on anything less than arms length!! This all new to me and freakin me out.

Scott

Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
(male)

Dizzyrascal HB User

Hi Scott

This junk always makes me feel tired/drowsy and I always have heavy eyes and some form of head pressure/ache. Its always been a part of the dizziness for me and forms a part of my bizarre warped world.

Its strange sometimes after a long day I feel really off balance and next day I wake up and its better.

Vision still remains a massive issue for me and my focus is generally not right when I look at a distance or try to focus on things actively.

I just think its part & parcel of this rubbish.

I am convinced however, that our brains will shift this junk out and reverse the damage.

Bizarrly I am in a better phase at the moment, not ideal, but improved. maybe Epilim is helping out? Who knows.

Hope you settle down.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
(female)

jadeearth HB User

Scott

Hey, sorry to hear you're feeling not so hot. Jet lag can totally do that to you, it enhances he surreal feel. And the possibility that you have a virus..you're immune system may be down.

Regarding fatigue, it is one of my biggest challenges with this. Like DizzyRascal my eyes get so heavy, i just want to close them 1/2 the day long. very frustrating. Even when I am out and about, I just feel like I could sit on the floor of some store because I feel so tired.

MY attempts at combating the fatigue include:
gluten free diet, vit b12 shots, exercise, lots of water, and recently medical qi gong geared at the eyes and yang energy. I will also on occasion do EFT for the fatigue and I think it helps with the emotional aspect. I have not gotten rid of it but I feel the above list has helped.

I hope you are feeling better soon :0)
Another item I use I just remembered is Ibuprofen, seems to help my body aches and the HA.

All the best,
JAde

Closed Thread