It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
(male)

Dizzyrascal HB User
Malaria Tablets & Dizziness

Hi there

I'm going abroad for 8 months next year & have been told I need to take anti malarials.

Has anyone taking these whilst dealing with MAV, VN or at all? I'm worried about it messing with my symptoms.

I have been doing better lately - was around 95% at one point. Got a cold last week & now Im back to 75% - you just cant win!

Rascal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: Malaria Tablets & Dizziness

Hi Rascal,

Where are you going exactly that makes you think you need the tablets?

S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
(male)

Dizzyrascal HB User

Hey Scott

How you doing - dizziness any better?

I'm going to India, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia.

I'm praying I dont get really bad dizziness while away - I was getting better but now in a relapse again. Sucks!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey Rascal,

My dizziness is ok – comes and goes but what's really been bad lately is relentless headaches. Never ends and seems to be kicked off by more and more things. Sudden exercise bursts are very bad news for example. This sucks because I love going for a run.

The reason I ask about malari tabs is because I've been through most of the places you mention apart from South America. I think the need for anti-malarials is exaggerated. The only place I would definitely take them would be in Africa and even there, there's no point unless you are hanging around areas where there are large groups of people. Shanty towns on the borders in many African countries are prime malaria areas. But once away from such areas the risk is near zero. Malaria needs lots of humans hanging out together to transmit via mosquitoes. Not enough people concentrated means no malaria.

I've been to SE Asia numerous times and just made sure I used repellants at dusk and had a mozzie net for sleeping. No probs at all. Even before VN/MAV I was not up for taking those sorts of drugs if I could avoid it.

S

Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
(male)

Dizzyrascal HB User

Hi Scott

Thanks for the info - sorry to hear about the headaches - it sucks when this thing plays up. I think it will plague me forever, so I need to get used to it!

I dont think I'm going to take the anti malarials - my doctor who treats my bladder condition says its bad news & could set me back a year in my current progress (I've had no booze, chocolate , sugar etc in ayear).

Interesting why there is not lots of malaria in cities if you need large groups of people to pass it on? They are always classed a low risk areas.

What about jabs for yellow fever/hep A/b - did you get those?

Cheers

Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey Rascal,

>>> Interesting why there is not lots of malaria in cities if you need large groups of people to pass it on?

I think the main reason is because of the type of mosquito that transmits malaria – callled "Anopheles".

Only Anopheles mosquitoes can transmit malaria and they must have been infected through a previous blood meal taken from an infected person. When a mosquito bites an infected person, a small amount of blood is taken which contains microscopic malaria parasites. About one week later, when the mosquito takes its next blood meal, the parasites mix with the mosquito's saliva and are injected into the person being bitten. The females of the Anopheles genus of mosquito prefer to feed at night. They usually start searching for a meal at dusk, and will continue throughout the night until taking a meal.

As far as I know, Anopheles mozzies don't survive in large cities which is why the smaller village/shanty town environment enables them to go crazy.

I think I did get jabs for some of the others. Probably wouldn't hurt as it's a one-off. Unfortunately, the malaria pills are a daily thing and migth really mess with your head.

S

Closed Thread