It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

willholl HB User
Septoplasty

I have a deviated septum from an untreated broken nose several years ago and I finally made the decision to have a septoplasty to have it fixed. It will be this Wednesday. I have some hope that this may help with my dizzy symptoms but if it does nothing more than help me breathe better and feel less congested that is OK too.

Has anyone had this surgery, or gone under general anethesthetic for any other reason while suffering from dizziness? I will only be under for about a half hour but I am still somewhat worried I will come out of the surgery and the room will be spinning. I can deal with it but it would be nice to know if this has happened to anyone else or if it is relatively unlikely.

Thanks. Wishing everyone a balanced day!
willholl

Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User
Re: Septoplasty

Hi, Willholl! How are you doing? I've thought of you and wondered if your meds were helping at all...I'm not sure whether or not my prozac is helping me. Maybe a little, but nothing huge thus far. I'm keeping an eye to see if it reduces my headaches at all, as the dizziness is hard to judge day to day.

Just wanted to say that a relative of mine had this septum surgery to hopefully get rid of migraines (they thought it was sinus-related at that time, even though they were extremely severe & related to the weather). The surgery unfortunately did not help him. I hope it may help you with allergies/sinus issues, and maybe from there the dizzies. (My sinus dr said I also have a deviated septum, but that he could not promise that surgery would correct my vertigo.) Have you asked your docs about the sedation issues? I have never had surgery before...

Aargh! I'm getting sick of this stuff--how about you?

Take care,
Violet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cknmbbl HB User

Hi Willholl,

How are you feeling? Just wanted to say that I had the procedure a few years ago. It was before all this started. I understand your concern with the sedation. I don't think I would be overly concerned because I think some of the meds they use are some of the same ones they treat vertigo with. The good news is that if you wake up and you have vertigo you will have an IV they can just load you up with valium. LOL. Hang in there. My surgery was not fun, but it really helped me not get as many sinus infections. Let us know how it goes.

CK

Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
(female)

willholl HB User

Hi Violet and CK!

I am currently not on any medications. I was on the verapamil for about six weeks, and if anything I felt worse on it (although I did have a flu shot not long after I began it, and also maybe some sinus issues.) Dr Cherchi said that if it was going to help, I should've noticed something by then, and took me off of it (same thing with the migraine diet!) Afterwards I started Prozac at 10mg but that also did not help with feeling headachy and dizzy, plus I started feeling very anxious. So I went off that too; I just wanted to be medicine-free for awhile. I'm starting to feel better now; I've been doing VRT and acupuncture. I don't know if that's why I'm starting to feel a bit better, but I'll take it!

I'm having the surgery on an outpatient basis, so hopefully if I do get the spins it will be while I am still there (not later, after hours!) and they can give me something for it.

I'm still not sure about migraines. I think it can be too easy for the docs to say we have MAV just because they can't find anything else. Maybe there is some other ailment going on that is atypical, so they don't see it for what it is. I know that my having headaches makes MAV a stronger possibility, but I think it's also likely that the Medrol caused my headaches (I got a whopper the day I started it) or maybe the Clomid I took earlier in the year caused some sort of follow-up hormonal headaches during my cycle.

I guess I wouldn't care what it was if they could fix it! I'd sure like to move ahead with my life instead of being afraid and dizzy...

willholl

Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Willholl--

thank you for the update on how you are doing! I always like to hear about what's working and not working for folks. The prozac made me anxious at first, too, but it was not too much and then it passed. not sure if it is helping, but i'm willing to wait it out for a bit. I know what you mean about the MAV issue. I think I've had the same feelings.

I finally have decided that what is most likely in my case is that I had the vestibular neuritis, which severely depleted my brain chemicals (I felt that about two weeks in--severe depression), which then kicked me into migraine mode...apparently the inner ear is much affected by our brain chemicals, and so are migraines. My objective inner ear damage seems to be getting better (as shown with my improved eye movements--VRT did seem to help this!).

Today the doc treated my ears with infrared something or other--strangely calming effect on dizzies!!?? I think I'm going to try botox next for the migraines...she also mentioned some kind of epidural type thing that numbs the head pain?? She said I have to break my headache cycle to fully heal from the inner ear issue. (I currently have headaches about half the days each month...didn't used to be this way??)

Sorry to ramble, but I never know if something I've experienced or heard might help someone else!

Again, best of luck with the surgery and the VRT/accupuncture.

Take care,
Violet

Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cknmbbl HB User

Hi Willholl and Violet,
I also love updates to see how everyone is doing. Who knows? Someone may suggest something that works for you. I was wondering about the infrared thing? You had it and it helped?

I had a really bad virus a couple of weeks ago. It lead to my eardrum bursting. It is still bothering me and I have lost some hearing in it. I went back to the Dr on Monday and he said to give it another 4 weeks. I am so dizzy. I am hoping when it gets better and I am left with my normal dizzies it will feel so much better I won't care about my normal dizzies. Wishful thinking. Take care guys!

CK

Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CK--I'm so sorry about the ear virus problem! That certainly is most unwelcome when one is already dealing with the dizzies! I did feel better after just 10 mins of the infrared treatment. I had been feeling extra dizzy and it took me back to my baseline of dizziness. So odd-never heard of it before. I would love to do it more often and see what happens. Apparently it increases blood flow and stimulates healing, etc., in the inner ear area. Also, when I feel extra dizzy I take some Children's Benadryl and it also seems to bring me back to "normal" dizziness. I hope you feel better very very soon!

Violet

Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cknmbbl HB User

Thanks Violet. You are not the only one who has talked about the childrens benedryl helping. I tried it, but when I had this so it didn't help much. I am going to try it again for sure. What kind of dr did the inrfred thing? I have never heard of it, but it makes sense that it could work. Overall are you doing better then usual or not so much?

CK

Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi CK--

My doctor is a vestibular therapist--she's got a PhD in it and has been doing this stuff for 20 years...she's absolutely fabulous--seems to understand it so well from different angles and different possibilities; also very compassionate. Have you checked out the VEDA site for some referrals, or even tried calling them? Maybe they help? I don't know what the infrared thing is capable of; it did make me feel temporarily better.

CK, I find it so hard to gauge how I'm doing--obviously no huge changes; certainly feel far from normal, but I think I might be feeling a bit better in general. I've stopped exercising, as that really depresses me--makes me feel soooo much worse! I know I need some activity, but I'm pretty busy around the house and such--just trying to get through each day, actually! What about you? I know you have a lot on your plate right now. I hope you and your daughter are both feeling better these days!

(by the way...some other migraine options: botox and some kind of block treatment? not sure what it is, but migraineur told me about it...also some kind of epidural for the upper part of body??? i'm looking into options that don't involve the drugs every day, since they can be difficult to take. )

Also, do you get headaches? I'm trying to watch how many headaches I get for some kind of improvement...so far it seems like I'm getting a ton of them...almost every other day. Doc says must stop the headache cycle to improve with dizziness.

Take care, CK & keep me posted!!

Violet

Old 11-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
(female)

willholl HB User

Hi all!

I am now feeling well enough to work and type a bit at the computer. Septoplasties are not fun--the surgery was uncomplicated, but I woke up and felt like I couldn't breathe due to what later looked like about two feet of packing! I also had a very sore throat from the anesthesia tube. I was a bit dizzy right afterwards too but that went away quickly.

The packing came out the next day but I still had a splint that didn't allow me to breathe through my nose or taste or smell anything. The splint didn't come out until this morning, four days later.

As for the dizziness, it was almost unnoticeable until I took my allergy shot Saturday night. Sunday morning and night I was pretty dizzy, which would make sense due to the fact that I couldn't drain anything through my nose (sorry to be explicit!) and I'm feeling dizzy now too. I imagine that all the **** will take at least a few days to clear out. I'm still hopeful that this may help with my dizzies. I will let you know. Maybe it could help others.

willholl

Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Willholl--I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well! I hope you continue feeling better and better.

Violet

Closed Thread