It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #1

imp0526 HB User
Post this spontaneous fluttering noise

Hi -

Since about 3 weeks ago I have noticed this frequent, spontaneous fluttering noise in my right ear. The only way to describe it is it's like having a small drum roll go off in my ear every hour or so. I don't have any other symptoms - no major pain, just a strange, annoying feeling (well, maybe a small dull ache), no vertigo or plugged up feeling. I've had no sinus problems this year, and doc says there's no infection.

I do, however, have TMJ and i grind my teeth every night as I sleep. I suppose there is a correlation, but I've had this habit since I was small, so why would this begin now?

Any thoughts to what this could be? Should I see an ENT?

-Lindsay

Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

Sue M. HB User
Re: this spontaneous fluttering noise

Yes. I am experiencing the same thing for the last two weeks subsequent to a fall and blow on the same side of the head. My fluttering is every second or so when I am in certain positions - lilke on my back trying to sleep.! It is much better when I am not moving and am upright. I will be calling the doctor today. Expect that something has "jarred" within the inner ear. From the other posts, perhaps head and neck exercises will help.

Sue M.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hello,

As soon as I started reading your post I was going to say do you grind of clench your teeth. I am a clencher and get the fluttering, it's probably a muscle in spasm. The jaw and ear are closely connected through muscles and nerves, tmj will often impact on the ear, causing vibration, fluttering, pain in the ear etc.. You can sometimes control a middle ear condition like this with small amounts of a benzo like valium, although I wouldn't get in to the habit of doing that. The best thing to do is to get fitted with a mouthguard to control the grinding. The reason why it would happen now and not before is because tmj is a condition that can progress, namely irritate the muscles through grinding for many years and you will start to develop new problems as a result of it.

best,

Last edited by hbep; 03-07-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Howdy,

I'm a grinder too...and wear a mouth guard at night to keep my teeth from being converted to chalk dust (so said the dentist). I've had the flutter on two occasions only but also get it when I listen to music sometimes. The beat of the song will start it in my left ear!

Cheers.....Scott

Last edited by studyin; 08-24-2006 at 12:24 AM.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
(female)

Ldumont HB User

I know this is an old post. Sorry, but I had to respond!

I've got MAV and I occasionally get the exact same weird flutter, too! Usually it is triggered by something... high pitch female voices, vacuum cleaners, blenders, etc...

No pain. Just fluttering ear drum flexing type noise!!!

Closed Thread