It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2002, 06:37 PM   #1
Inactive

Lizzie51427 HB User
Smile Has anyone been prescribed prednisone for Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

Hi All:
After 6 months of dealing with the "clogged" ear/dizziness thing with ear fullness/pressure, and many visits to my GP, and ENT, finally 2 different ENTs have diagnosed me with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. The first one only gave me Entex PSE(decongestant), no antibiotics, but a week later I ended up in the Emergency Room with Otitis Media, which the first ENT had obviously missed.At the E.R., I was given Avelox(really strong antibiotic), which cleared up the fluid in 3 days. But, still, I had the ear pain/pressure. So, I went to a new ENT, who also diagnosed me with ETD, and gave me prednisone (steroid) tabs. Has anyone else taken these? How did they work? Was it permanent, or temporary? Since I've been going through this for over 6 months now, I'd like to resolve this as soon as possible. I am about to suggest ear tubes, if these steroids don't work. Any info. on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!!(I'll bet if I didn't have an HMO, this thing would've been resolved a long time ago...That's what kills me...)Thanks for any input/advice you can give me!!! Lizzie51427

Old 04-21-2002, 07:43 AM   #2
Inactive

Lizzie51427 HB User
Hi again:
I forgot to mention, I think somehow this also has to do with sinus polyps or something, because I'm always congested, esp. on the right side of maxillary sinus, and when I use the Nasonex in the morning, it doesn't ever feel like it's getting through on the right side, which is the worse ear. Does anyone know if prednisone is strong enough to shrink polyps? (There were 2 right-sided polyps/retention cysts blockages shown on my CT sinus scan, but neither ENT I went to has suggested surgery to remove them---but, then again, this could be an HMO thing...)And, also, how long before you start to feel the total effect of the prednisone? I feel less pain/pressure in my ear after 3 days of the 6-pack, but the ear is still "full", not clear...Please, if anyone can help me with this? Thank you! Lizzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #3

vernon123 HB User
I tryed prednisone for my eustachian tube dysfunction. My plugged L/H ear actually felt worse, not better. Also, the prednisone ran me down. I felt very miserable and uncomfortable while on it. When I stopped, the popping in my L/H ear briefly returned, then it was back to the normal discomfort. My L/H ear feeling tender and congested all the time. I wish you the best of luck in curing your condition.

Old 04-23-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
Inactive

Lizzie51427 HB User
Dear Nathan,
I just took the last one this morning. I am no better either. I have a little less pain, I think, but the fluid is back and I think it's going to build back up til there's alot of pain again. When I went to the ENT last week, the fluid was pretty much gone from the Avelox I was on, but now it's back. So, when I called the ENT about this, he said, "I think you may have TMJ". But, 5 days ago, he diagnosed me with "ETD", "Hearing Loss---Conductive" and "Otalgia". So, now that this prednisone didn't help, he wants to say TMJ. But, I was just reading that if after you try antibiotics, decongestants and finally steroids, then you may need surgery(tubes). But, this doctor just told me that he wouldn't do tubes on me because there's no fluid, except now it's back, and also, 5 days ago he didn't diagnose me with TMJ ....He just said on the phone that I didn't have hearing loss, but he wrote on my receipt that I did. So, I'm thinking "TMJ" is a cheaper diagnosis for the HMO...What do you think? Did anyone tell YOU you had TMJ? I'm so confused, and angry. I've been going through this for over 6 months now. Lizzie

Old 04-27-2002, 08:15 PM   #5

GLEN1 HB User
Cool

This may sound crazy, but after going to see several ENT'S for my Eustachian tube blockage and after all of them told me, "well, it is going to take a while to clear up on its own, there is not much we can do, the swelling will have to come down" easy for them to say when we all know what a living hell it is to have this problem, anyway I apologize for being long winded an venting, the solution that worked best for me was actually a Vacation out to Vegas for 5 days ( no I did not hit the big Jackpot) where I spent 3 of those days staying at a Hotel in Death Valley ( you probably want to do this in the fall or late summer when it is not as hot), the Dry air cleared up my ears in about a day and a half, I could not believe the difference!! and I was fine for over 2 years after that trip , However this year I had an ear infection in the Left Ear and am Miserable once again, so I am planning on Making another trip out to the Valley soon. ( too bad the Dr's can't write a prescription for a trip to Southern Nevada)

Old 01-26-2003, 07:05 AM   #6
Inactive

Bonney669 HB User
Lizzie,
Have you found a cure yet? I have also been suffering from Eustation tube disorder now for 6 months and counting. I am about to try the tubes in my ears as a last resort. Nothing else seems to help them and it's driving me nuts!
Bonney

Old 01-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #7
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
I was wondering if you all could tell me...would ETD show up on the pressure test done by the ENT? I have been diagnosed with Labrynthtis but worried about ETD. Should I get another opinion??????? Many thanks.

Old 01-26-2003, 03:04 PM   #8

angel444 HB User
I HAD A HEARING test in 1998 and it showed eustachian tube dysfunction. Could you tell me if the e/tubes could be causing a lumpy congested feeling behind tonsil when i swallow also could you explain if the e/tubes are only full of air why does my throat all the way down feel like its blocked and congested i thought my eustachian tubes were full of fluid for thats how it feels thank you
angel

Old 02-04-2003, 08:21 AM   #9

irishwings HB User
I have had chronic problems with fluid in the ears, ear infections, etc for the last eight years. The very first time it happened, I kept going from doctor to doctor with that horrible ear "fullness" accompanied by sharp pain in the ear. After a month of that agony, I went to a doctor who finally prescribed prednisone, and within an hour, the fluid started clearing out. It's like a wonder drug.

The only problem is that a lot of the doctors don't necessarily like to prescribe it because it supresses immune function. But when it comes to the agony of ear problems, Id rather take my chances with prednisone.

Closed Thread