It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #1

Glasskat HB User
Question "clicking" in ears when swallowing

My ears "click" every single time I swallow, for years now.
It never really worried me untill I noticed in the past few years that my ears ring a lot. High pitched buzz, sudden fading out of frequencies for about 10 seconds, ringing. This can happen up to 5 times a day, and at LEAST 1 time every day.

My ears also hurt badly when I swim for long periods of time- is this swimmers ear?

The ENT insisted that I stop smoking when I take the allergy meds he prescribed, as it would render them useless. Of course, I didn't take them, and decided to get some other opinions first. I never had allergies, and don't get any of the nasal, headache problems usually associated w/ allergies or sinus problems. I don't doubt that the cigarettes are aggravating it.

The hearing test was "pretty much normal" (I think my hearing is terrible) except that the muscle that contracts at loud noises doesn't reopen properly. I was told not to worry about it, but it scared me.

Any feedback would be great!! Thanks so much.

Old 04-26-2003, 06:46 PM   #2

PamKRN93 HB User
Muscles that contract???? I thought hearing was all about nerves. What exactly did they mean by that? I have hearing loss too, but it's nerve damage that no one can seem to figure out why.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2003, 06:47 PM   #3

PamKRN93 HB User
Muscles that contract???? I thought hearing was all about nerves. What exactly did they mean by that? I have hearing loss too, but it's nerve damage that no one can seem to figure out why.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #4

Desert Rose HB User
YOU ARE HAVING TMJ SYMPTONS,WHICH CAN CAUSE DIZZINESS.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:17 PM   #5

Glasskat HB User
I thought TMJ had something to do with grinding the teeth at night, I don't think I do that.

Yes, I was told that when you hear a loud noise, a muscle closes, or contracts, and then quickly reopens. In my left ear, the muscle doesn't reopen right away.

This is great, thanks so much for responding!

Old 04-27-2003, 01:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Hello there GlassKat,

Desert Rose is right, look in to TMJD - it may be helpful to you. Grinding and clenching can be a component of TMJD but not always. The theories behind why it happens are complex, and there is a lot of contention about it. I can't really begin to try and explain it all, but there is loads of info on the tmjd board on here. Many people think 'I don't have a problem with clenching/grinding/my jaw etc'... so I don't have that. It is totally possible to experience the problem only as ear problems or dizziness (it is referred to as 'the great imposter') and can often mimic ear disorders as the problems can be referred from the jaw to elsewhere in the body. Muscular spasms and swelling caused by upset to the jaw causes these other symptoms. And yes, tmjd can often be a cause of unexplained (by ENT doctors) hearing loss. Sadly this is an area about which many ENT's are not informed enough.

I don't know if you have this, but it doesn't hurt to do a bit of reading and look in to it. Try putting the word 'ears' or 'tinnitus' (ear ringing) in to search on the tmjd board.

Old 04-27-2003, 01:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Thought it might be worth posting this again.

A list of the ear related symptoms TMJD can cause from:

The Kinnie-Funt Visual Index of Head, Neck and Facial Pain and TMJ Dysfunction:

Ear Pain, Ear Problems, and Postural Imbalances:
- hissing, buzzing, ringing, or roaring sounds
- diminished hearing
- ear pain - without infection
- clogged, stuffy, "itchy" ears, feeling of fullness
- balance problems, "vertigo", dizziness, or disequilibrium

Closed Thread