It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 PM   #151
(female)

Jmcam HB User
Re: Foggy head with ear disorder

Hello,

I stumbled into this forum while trying to research a solution to my symptoms. It seems as though we all have very similar symptoms with little to no solutions.

In reading many of the posts, I wondered if there is one common thing among all of us that is causing this. Is there one (or more) thing(s) in all of our diets that is common? Or some other common thing in our lives?

Last edited by Jmcam; 05-16-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #152
(female)

susanb52 HB User

you posted this question a long time ago- but I definitely had the same experience--- near focus vision was so hard - painful- that I thought I had to have a new prescription. but not according to the docs- could not process the info......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #153
(male)

herofix HB User

YES!! YES!! Since my recent episodes began in March (first with BBPV like spins upon sitting up in bed) to more recent off balance, foggy feeling I've noticed that my vision has changed a bit too. Often my eyes feel very tired like they're half open and I have trouble focusing. If I stare at a distant object for a while it sometimes fades in and out of focus. I don't wear glasses or contacts so this had me concerned that my vision was going, but I think you're right that it is more related to your brain getting "overloaded" like a computer with not enough processing power for all the multi-tasking!

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff22 View Post
Lynda,
I can relate perfectly to that feeling. Not all the time, but most of the time, especially when im at my dizziest, i get very weird visual symptoms. I have described my visual symptoms before as like im wearing the wrong perscription glasses, or like im looking through the bottom of a pop bottle. my peripheral vision seems to be bad when this happens. It actually used to scare me a lot because my dizziness is the lightheaded kind, and my visual symtoms made me feel like i was going to black out even more. I actually am having bad visual symptoms now. I feel like my vision is foggy, yet i can read these words that i am typing perfectly fine. I think a lot of people have these types of visual symptoms with an inner ear disorder, just something else we have to put up with along with the dizziness!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #154
(male)

woawoa HB User

hey i have all these same problems and symptoms........regarding to JMcam and simliar problems or diet issues, are any of you alergic to dairy or do any of you have planters warts on ur feet?......just random attempts at making a connection. Im goin on 1 1/2 months now with little progress in what my ENT diagnosed as "minor labyrinthitis" but this is hardly "minor." Disconnected, spacey all the time sucks......and the crazy running ants vision is awful. Look into a blue sky with my vision and u freak out.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #155
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

T6O - please keep us posted on your progress because I am in the same boat as you. Started with Amox for 10 days, then was okay for a month and it came back hard. Now I am on Avelox and it seems to be finally going away or diminishing. I have been able to go out and drive without feeling so horrid. I have been too scared to brave having a few beers though. Darn it - I enjoy having a few brews at night and with this thing I haven't had any for over a week!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #156
(male)

woawoa HB User

ya T6 keep us updated.........Also, all of my symptoms started after a night of drinking but think that was coincidence because the day before i had extreme pain in my sinuses, then i drank that night, woke up the next morning, felt all disconnected, foggy, slight dizzyness, wierd vision and it hasnt gone away for about 2 months now. I have been drinking still and it doenst seem to make it any worse the day after, but it certainly doesnt make it any better. I just want this to go away so if anyone has any ideas please post them for all of us, dont just give up on us when ur all better!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #157
(male)

blacklabelrum HB User

Hi,

I'm 25. Just about over a year ago I had an possibly unconnected episodes of poor health: severe stress; a rather painful pop on the right side of my jaw while eating that went away after a while; one week long episode of dizziness and tingling in extremities related to high blood sugar, occasional bouts of severe neck pain possibly related to being hunched over at my computer all the time. However I have had tinnitus (high pitched ringing in my ears) ever since then. Generally a monotone high pitch not unlike a tv whine but also occasionally drowned out by pulsatile ringing (synchronized to my heartbeat), to the extent that I can not only hear the ringing volume fluctuate like a pulse but I also sort of "feel" it in an around my neck and ear area. Generally it becomes pulsatile when I am more stressed but sometimes it is random. I lived with the ringing for a year now but after going through another period of extreme stress I started getting more of it and recurrent neck pain that would lead to horrible tension headaches in localized parts of my head.

The latest and SCARIEST symptom from about a couple months ago was what I call "impaired cognitive ability": one day I was reading and studying just fine and the next day I just started to zone out and the environment took on a dreamlike, disconnected, brainfogged aspect much like I have read about it these forums. Naturally I had a couple panic attacks and doctors prescribed lorazepam for stress / anxiety syndrome. After resting at home for a couple months my headaches went away but the ringing is as loud as ever, the neck tension is consistent, and the brain disconnect has become mostly constant with maybe 1 second moments of clarity after I take a relaxing shower of have gotten a good night's rest. I'm trying Valium to ease the neck pain / muscle spasms and help me sleep better.

My courses of action and results: MRI - showed nothing abnormal; eye test - showed nothing abnormal (except a slight increase in pressure, nothing significant, same prescription); hearing test with phd audiologist - excellent hearing with negligible hearing loss and no wax buildup or apparent congestion; oral and maxillofacial surgeon - my temporomandibular joint (right near the ear) is clicking and popping slightly and the muscles in that joint seem to be spasming, and apparently I am a 24/7 teeth clencher so TMJ is a possibility... I have two impacted wisdom teeth that I want to remove in case it is adding to the TMJ and playing some role in that whole ear/nose/throat/jaw/neck system. I also want to investigate my cervical vertebrae as I have had bad posture hunched over pc's for years. I suffer no dizziness really, just the constant tinnitus and neck weakness and seeming TMJ (and subsequent anxiety).

One step at a time is my approach: process of elimination is what I am doing as much as I can afford to. Any other recommendations, say herbs and vitamin supplements that may help reduce inflammation etc is welcome.

This has been the hardest psychological burden on me in my life. But I'm fighting it to the death. Hopefully my information is relevant or helpful to somebody. And maybe someone can share any similarities.

Peace.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #158
Veteran
(female)

blacklabelrum - do you have a history of migraine in your family anywhere that you know of? Have you been sensitive to motion all of your life, starting from when you were a child (car sick, sea sick, etc.)? Your symptoms sound very similar to mine and I was recently diagnosed with "Migraine". I know it sounds wierd, but believe it or not, migraine can cause all of the symptoms you are describing PLUS more (sinus problems, constant post nasal drip - due to inflammed blood vessels in the mucous membranes, etc.).

I am reading a book right now that has a 3 step plan to addressing migraines, the first two which don't involve medication. It is all about getting rid of current "quick-fix" medications (i.e. Excedrin, Valium, etc.), and the most important issue is changing your diet to eliminate all of the migraine triggers out there that are possibly causing all of your health woes.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #159
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hello Blacklaberum,

Just to back up what Missy has said. I was the original poster on this thread years ago. It turns out I had migraine. Yes I am a teeth clencher but that wasn't the cause of my symptoms, more likely one of the triggers. From what you've saying - many of the symptoms which I recognise - it sounds like your problems are migraine related. There are many atypical forms of migraine which manifest in many ways. I have suffered hugely with the cognitive impairment. I am much better now with the use of a daily migraine preventative.

There are natural supplements that have been recommended to me by 2 neurologists as having been shown in trials to reduce migraine. One if vitamin B2 - 400mg once a day and co enzyme Q10 - 100mg - 3 times a day. YOu can also address triggers in your diet. The book I think Missy is referring to is called 'Heal Your Headache' by David Bucholz.

I know the migraine thing might sound weird, but migraine slows your thinking - hence the congnitive problems. It can also cause the dreamlike state you describe. I get that too, I know how horrible it is.

I would try and see a good neurologist.

best,

Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #160
Veteran
(female)

Yep - that's the book alright. If the diet doesn't work though, I'm headed towards the meds, that's for sure.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #161
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth77 View Post
I totally agree about the anxiety thing - the labyrinthitis came FIRST - the anxiety is the RESULT of feeling so bad for such a long time that you lose your confidence and worry that you will not get back to how you were before you got ill! I have found that the best thing for me has been to take a balanced approach. Don't push yourself too hard when you are going through a better spell, as each time you have a setback, you will get more disheartened. But, equally, not pushing yourself at all for fear of inducing dizziness is just as bad. I am trying to pace myself (difficult, I know!) For example, have gone shopping twice this week - this is quite an achievement for me!! Did not feel too bad at all - although in Marks and Spencers I felt like the floor was sloping sideways - really bizarre feeling!
At the end of the day, anyone who feels so bad for so long will experience some anxiety - it is perfectly normal. I know at times I have worried so much I've worried about worrying!?! Also felt like I could go mad with frustration. Have gone through whole spectrum of emotions - miserable, angry, sad, anxious, impatient, hysterical - and on a good day - sheer elation that I'm feeling like a human being!!!
Hope this makes some of you smile!

Ruth
xxx
Marks and Spencers does this to me as well. . . . ..good job I can order online from there, I almost run past the place for fear. I think I actually get anxious about going in there now, must be something to do with the lighting they use. . . .how weird!
Jayne

Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #162
(male)

jkinghome HB User

I am really glad I found this thread.

I am 37 years old and in March 2007 I started to feel "off" - "foggy" is really the best phrase as it really feels that way. My concentration disappeared, it takes me a while to read e-mails in detail where I used to be able to read once and pick up on all the details.

I have the occasional dizzy spell, it comes on even when I am not moving my head or anything.

I went to my Dr in April and had a full physical - everything came back ok. Spoke to a neurologist, he thinks it is stress (I am going to be a dad again soon, and just bought a new house).

Went to an ENT doctor (am having audio/ENT tests done next week) but initial consultation was that there wasn't anything wrong.

The annoying thing it is so difficult to explain to people how I feel. God knows how I do my work all day - luckily I have a job where I don't have a boss on my back), I am really working at 50% most of the time.

I have bouts of being really tired after lunch. But I am tired most of the day.

But most of all, I am TIRED of feeling this way. I am starting to think it may be an allergy? Sometimes, I feel pressure on under my eyes and around the nose. Maybe an allergist will be my next doctors trip? Do people who have allergies have foggy head, and dizzy spells?

Has anyone had any luck with any alternative medicines? Herbal teas or something.

My only joy has been finding this thread that others feel the same way as I do, but I can't live my life like this.

Jason

Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #163
Veteran
(female)

I totally understand what you are going through Jason - mine started in March too. Same symptoms - off balance, dizzy spells. I can't do much physical activity like I used to. I used to play soccer once in a while with family/friends. There is NO way I can do that now - I get dizzy just thinking about it. I have tried swimming, riding a bike - those types of things just make me feel seasick. Very frustrating...

Maybe it is something in our water supply (we live right next door to each other, neighborhood wise).

No really though, this board has also been a life saver for me. Nobody around me "gets it". It's not their fault at all - but it frustrating for me and them, to have this thing making me function at less than 100%. I can't even go out on a date with my husband. We used to go out to dinner and a movie once a month and I feel too ill to do that. I've tried it. I just don't feel well enough - especially at night.

Hang in there - hopefully this will resolve SOON.

The Following User Says Thank You to missy7777 For This Useful Post:
biteneck (06-18-2012)
Old 08-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #164
(male)

jkinghome HB User

Hi Missy,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am so glad I found a local on this board. Maybe we should get together and be dizzy and foggy together! Sorry to hear how it has affected you (going on dates with hubby etc). I know how you feel. I have just moved house and I did the move in a "fog" - God knows how I got through it. I don't want to "get used to it" Every day I wake up, I pray that I will feel "normal" again. But most of my day is that feeling that I have just woken up. No amounts of caffeine can clear me up. I think I can live with the occasional dizzyness but the foggyness it frustrating. Having a beer actually helps, because it feels the way I meant to after a couple of beers!!

Mantra: "This too shall pass"?????

Last edited by jkinghome; 08-28-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #165
Veteran
(female)

Speaking of beer, that is the part that makes me so mad! I can't seem to drink more than one or two beers and feel totally dizzy. I used to have maybe 4 or 5 on the weekend or a date night or whatever, and now I can't even have ONE without it making me feel horrible. What's that all about??!!

Definitely - "This too shall pass"! I've been doing a lot praying, that's for sure! Especially when I am super bad and can't get out of bed (it's been a while). Hopefully, since it has been a while since I have been totally disabled, it is slowly but surely getting better. Please, please please....

I know what you mean about having to do things in a fog. Get this - I have FOUR children to take care of with this head monster!! It's completely insane!!

The Following User Says Thank You to missy7777 For This Useful Post:
biteneck (06-18-2012)
Closed Thread