It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2003, 03:42 PM   #1

RachelAsh HB User
Post Cold Inner Ear Pain and Red Hot Outer Ears

I have 2 really strange ear problems:

1. Whenever I exercise in cold to moderately cold weather I get severe shooting pains in my inner ears. I can even just be walking, and if there is a slight breeze, and the temperature is below 65 degrees, I get this pain. When I get back in the house it goes away in about 15 minutes. Sometimes I stuff cotton or kleenex in my ears, which seems to help a little bit.

2. Occasionally, for no apparent reason, my outer ears will get really hot and bright red. Sometimes it is just one and sometimes both. The only thing I've noticed that has trigged this is when I drink alcohol. But, it will still happen even if I'm not drinking.

I told my GP about these ear issues, and he looked at me like I was from Mars. Does anyone else have one or both of these problems, or even heard about them?

Thanks!
Rachel

Old 05-27-2003, 11:33 PM   #2

angelb49 HB User
Hi Rachel-
I can completely relate to your problem. The exact same thing happens to me when I exercise outdoors and it's below a certain temperature(it doesn't even have to be cold!). I have tried earplugs and cotton, but they don't work as well as I'd like. Sometimes after a long run or after biking outside, when I come indoors I will get a splitting headache. It has gotten to the point where I will not exercise outside unless it is at least 70 degrees. It's rediculous and I would love to know what is going on. If you find out, please let me know. I haven't gone to the Dr. about this yet, but I don't have much faith in them anyways. I also get the thing with the burning ears, where it feels like they're on fire, but I can't explain that one either. Thanks for writing. Pls write me at my e-mail address if you get this!
Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 02:20 AM   #3

jonnyw HB User
Re: Cold Inner Ear Pain and Red Hot Outer Ears

hi Rachel.
have you found any answers yet about the ear thing?
I have the exact same thing for about a year now, been to the doctors 5 or 6 time, any they don't know.
did you ever have Bell's Palsey?

Old 07-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
(male)

Abacus HB User

Hi:

Also have the same problem, pain in the ear with exercising. I don't have the red hot outer ears, though.

Has anyone had any luck in finding out what causes this?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
(female)

fashionfrancie HB User
Unhappy Re: Cold Inner Ear Pain and Red Hot Outer Ears

Hey all!

I have had the same problem!!! Whenever I exercise outside at all, I get severe shooting pains in my inner ears. I can even just be walking. I have been to the doctor as well and no answer, he says allergies maybe. Anyone know? It is so bad that I cry from the pain which subsides within an hour after being inside. I have absolutely no problem exercizing indoors...! If it's even slightly cool, I have to wear a headband outside just to be outdoors.

Anyone find out anything yet??

Thanks!

Last edited by fashionfrancie; 02-14-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
(female)

djd827 HB User

I have been searching the internet for over an hour and just now found exactly what i've been looking for - all but an answer. The closest I could get was maybe it's caused from TMJ?

I have indentical symptoms to all of you and, like one of you mentioned, don't have much faith that the doctors will know what's wrong - so I haven't been.

Like you, I would love to know what causes this so that I can run outside in the Spring, Winter and Fall without ending up in severe pain every time.

Please e-mail me if you've found any answers this.

Thanks so much.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
(male)

matt4009 HB User

Hi everyone - I have the exact same problem and it is KILLING me!!! It also happens when I try to go swimming or surfing.

I think I am going to go to the doctor sometime soon and really complain about it.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-06-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
(male)

intoplay HB User

Hey Guys,

I've had this same problem since as long as I can remember. But this is the first time I've searched it up and it's also the first time search has failed to provide me an answer!! There's nothing about it online.

When I was 8 -10 years old, I would go running in cold winter mornings for school. I would get the most disabling pain in my throat, then moving to my ears eventually giving me a slight headache and dizzyness.

Right now I've just been biking in the cold weather the same problem occurred. I've been indoors for almost 1 hour now and the pain has subsided about 90% Although I can still feel aching in my throat

Someone find me a cure or I'm moving to a hot country!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-28-2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 01-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
(male)

Piero HB User

Can't believe I am not the only one that gets this! I live in a hot country now so don't get the pain but still get the red hot ears some evenings, it's only when I am tired though so I have always put it down to being run down and needing sleep. Had it for years and it goes after 30 minutes so never concerned me.

I am going to the Doc about my dizzy spells with Tinnitus so you never know they might be connected!

Will keep you posted.

Closed Thread