It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
(female)

dizzynen HB User
Exclamation Dizzy After Flying

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who experiences vertigo after flying? I have been on 6 flights in the past 2 years with symptoms. I've flown a lot before and never had problem until about 2 years ago. After flying for 2 of those trips my symptoms were very severe totally ruining our vacations, one of which was our honeymoon. The other 4 times since the initial bad case of symptoms were more mild but I could still feel it a little bit and felt a little nauseous the whole trip.
My ears pop fine on the plane (and I have tubes in now so they don't have to pop at all), I experience no pain, and my hearing is fine. I had all of these tests done at my ENT along with a CT scan. He did find that my large vestibular aqueduct in my left ear is a larger than my right. The most common symptom for Large Vestibular Aqueduct Syndrome (LVAS) is hearing loss which I don't have so I'm not totally convinced that is what is causing my dizziness.
Help! I'm only 28 and can't imagine avoiding flying to go on vacations for the rest of my life!

The Following User Says Thank You to dizzynen For This Useful Post:
cbiskit (08-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
(male)

frank1234 HB User
Re: Dizzy After Flying

Dear Dizzynen,

I was recently diagnosed with vertigo. I recently went on vacation and because of the flight my symptoms were significantly worse to the level I was struggling to leave my hotel room. As a result I was forced to see a doctor. He prescribed me with antibiotics, a drug called antivert (which didn't help me although has shown to improve symptoms) and finally valium. Although valium did not remove my symptoms completely, it improved enough that I was able to get on with my holiday without everything spinning around me.

I also have had mri scans, hearing tests etc. all of which was fine. I am not convinced I have vertigo however am starting vestibular rehab soon hoping this will stop my feeling of dizziness and the never ending headaches. You should ask your ENT doctor about a rehab clinic if you have not done so already, i haven't started my session as of yet, but would be interesting to hear if anyone has proof of improvement from them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi, guys! You might want to read about mal de debarquement syndrome....dizziness after traveling...some believe it is related to migraine associated vertigo, which many folks on this board have. If you are having headaches with your dizziness (or even if not), then you should look into this common cause of dizziness.

Take care,
Violet

Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User

I had some ves/tib/u/lar disorder hehab recently.An eye movement exercise from that,seems to have helped somewhat.See post of Friendsville for details. Bill

Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
(female)

Fremontgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzynen View Post
I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who experiences vertigo after flying? I have been on 6 flights in the past 2 years with symptoms. I've flown a lot before and never had problem until about 2 years ago. After flying for 2 of those trips my symptoms were very severe totally ruining our vacations, one of which was our honeymoon. The other 4 times since the initial bad case of symptoms were more mild but I could still feel it a little bit and felt a little nauseous the whole trip.
My ears pop fine on the plane (and I have tubes in now so they don't have to pop at all), I experience no pain, and my hearing is fine. I had all of these tests done at my ENT along with a CT scan. He did find that my large vestibular aqueduct in my left ear is a larger than my right. The most common symptom for Large Vestibular Aqueduct Syndrome (LVAS) is hearing loss which I don't have so I'm not totally convinced that is what is causing my dizziness.
Help! I'm only 28 and can't imagine avoiding flying to go on vacations for the rest of my life!
HI- It sounds like my symptoms are similar to yours. About 5 yrs.ago, we flew and shortly after we arrived at our destination, I felt a shaking- like the ground was shaking. I could have swore it was an earthquake. I asked my partner why the ground was shaking and he said it wasn't. It continued whioke we were there and after my return home, fora total of about 2 wks and gradually lessened. With this shaking, I felt a dizziness, like a "whoosh" feeling, a loss of balance, nausea, and generally felt like I just got off a carnival ride. Every time I've flown- approx. 5 or 6 times since that, I have gone thru this. I just returned form Reno and going thru it again. In fact, at the conference in Reno, I commented to a friend that construction must be going on with all the floor-shaking... she told me the floor was not shaking. I went to an ENT a couple yrs. ago and he just said to take an anti-histimine before flying and use ""earplanes" ear plugs to decrease the pressure. The ear plugs do decreases the pressure while flyig but don't affect the dizziness afterwards. Really makes me dread flying.

Last edited by Fremontgal; 10-10-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typos

Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
(female)

xtine04 HB User

symptoms triggered by pressure changes can indicate a perilymph fistula. there are only a few doctors in the US who really understand and know how to treat this. LVAS can cause a PLF and delay it's healing.

you do not need to have hearing loss to have a PLF.

i would avoid pressure changes and anything causing exertion in hopes that your ear will heal and stay healed. failing that, you might need to find a good dr. to diagnose and treat you.

HTH

christine

Closed Thread