It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2003, 08:42 AM   #1

ponyboy HB User
Unhappy scared it's MS

I'm new here...my prayers to all of you. My story begins ion Nov 2002. I was diagnosed with left branch bundle block and during this time I woke up one day feeling all of the symptoms of inner ear problems.
-feeling dazed
-giddiness
-dizzzy but never spinning
-ear popping

Went to family doctor...had CT normal and ENT who sent me for dizzy tests...normal. During this time I began to feel slightly better. I didn't feel as loopy. I remained active and continued work and exercise.

At the beginning of July I began to feel this sensation behind my left ear that seemed to travel along my neck to my other ear. Then I began to feel tightness in my neck area which hasn't subsided and my dizziness has come back with a different type of intensity. The tightness almost seems like it throbs from tight to loose within the day. The tightness seems to be behind my ears radiating down my neck. Doc. says it has nothing to do with my heart. I find ear popping sometimes helps the dizzies. Neuro is sending me for an MRI but says that he's 98% sure its not MS...I'm very scared and I'm not as optimistic. Anxiety is extremely high.

Anyone have anything similar?

Thank you.

------------------
Ponyboy

Old 08-02-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi - I know that these ghastly symptoms are really pretty freaky!! what you have described is pretty much what every-one with inner ear trouble experiences. As for the throbbing in the neck and head - well again lots of folks here on this link have mentioned this. Take reassurance from the fact that your doc said it is not your heart. Even though you know this - I can understand why you feel frightened. You mentioned that you are scared of MS - well it is true that it can be ruled out by an MRI scan. As when this scan is done you get an injection of a substance that shows up all your arteries and nerve pathways. The good news is that studies have shown that less than 0.04% of people with the dizzies etc have any serious disorder. The annoying reason that MS has to come into the picture is quite simply that MS can present itself in about a zillion different ways. But for the most part the dizzies & your other symptoms are not the first nor main symptoms of MS. You have gotta try to think positive your doc says that your chance it is MS is 2% well look at it the other way you are 98% likley not to have MS. Believe you me I was worried about the MS thing too before I had the MRI sacn done - but once it is done you will feel reassured that all is OK. Good Luck - a good source of info on this link is Subs - he has excellent links - there is also some-one else who experineced nech pain - I am sure if they read this link they will chip in too. But rest assured we are all going through the same as you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2003, 09:33 AM   #3

ponyboy HB User
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am really scared that it is MS and I think the anxiety has me feeling all sorts of symptoms...waiting for the MRI will be torture. Thanks again.

------------------
Ponyboy

Old 08-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Anastasia HB User
hi ponyboy

i wouldn't worry about MS, if your doctor thought it was he'd have told you upfront. lets face it, they see MS all of the time. you mentioned tightness in your neck...have you ever concidered a TMJd? it stands for Temporo Mandibular Joint disorder. thats what i was diognosed with after months of a mystery illness. it's not all of my problem ( i have the same spacey feeling ) but it did help to put me on the right track. you may want to check into the TMJ board. i'm not positive that that is what you have but it's worth a shot.

hang in there

Anastasia

Old 08-02-2003, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi Pony - just read your reply - glad it helped you a bit. You mentioned the anxiety thing - again this is almost a fetacompli (god that is so not how to spell that) in that when you fell these odd/strange/freaky/persistent symptoms anxiety is bound to rear its ugly head. I have read numerous posts here where people feel really anxious about the symptoms. Take heart - anxiety sure ain't the root of the problem just a side issue - I too felt mega anxious when I first had it - I would have cold/hot sweats/cry/be very scared/fear lots of awful scenario's - MS being one etc etc. To be honest the MRI scan will put your mind at rest. I ended up paying for it privately it cost £300 and I had an appointment within the week once my GP had refered me - it was worth every penny it stopped all the scary thoughts about something awful and that in itself will reduce your anxiety level. I too still from time to time get anxious about it again but less from 'what is it' but more because 'when will i be fully better'. Hand on heart I ma sure you will be ok as Annastasia said if your doc truelly thought it was MS he is legally bound to tell you - take heart - chin up - you will be ok. As I said before Subs is great for links and info sources you may wish to post a question directly to him. Take Care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try to relax.

Old 08-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

scant5 HB User
Wink

Ponyboy;
I think everbody on this board once questioned if it could be MS. So far as I know, nobody has it. Have the MRI to ease your fears on this. Everybody is here for your support.

all the best
Kathy

Old 08-03-2003, 06:29 AM   #7
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hey ponyboy - we are all hoping you are feeling a bit less scared. Great points above - I agree no one has been diagnsoed with MS. Hope youur spirits are better.

Old 08-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #8

banjoboy HB User
Ponyboy, please read my post in the MS forum.

- MRI does not usually confirm or discount MS, in fact there is little that can apart from really bad symptoms and/or direct evidence of de-myelination. The "bands" that people talk about in spinal fluid analysis are a good indicator of immune reactions but not definitive of MS by any means. My neurologist showed me my brain scan and that of MS patients and they looked very similar, BUT then he showed me scans of other conditions and there is little difference, he is world class and he wouldn't give me odds at the time! Your medic said 98% so that is 50:1, I wish he had said that to me!

- There are only theories about the mechanisms of MS. MS is a symptom of an unidentified illness so the long road to diagnosis starts with eliminating everything else that can be identified. I'm sure you have a problem that is not MS but you need the tests to establish what exactly it is.

- I spent 6 months with a "likely" diagnosis that has now changed (not sure for the better or worse) and it is no fun to have it in your mind day and night. Please don't go there.

- If you aren't paralysed, walking strange or suffering vision changes then get it out of your mind completely until someone confirms what is wrong.

- Even MS can come and go (check out R/R MS), it is not always as bad as people think. I have an aquaintence with MS and OK he walks strange but he can walk and he plays the meanest board games I know. He has been suffering for a long time (too embarassed to ask how long) but he is by no means finished yet and I suspect he will outlive all of us.

Don't worry until you have the facts.

I wish I remembered where it came from but -

"Anticipation is 50% of the pleasure but 90% of the pain"

Brian

Old 08-03-2003, 07:34 PM   #9

ponyboy HB User
Smile

To all of you...Thank you so much. I will keep you in my prayers. The last 3 days have been horrible but your kind words have helped me tremendously.

Closed Thread