It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 06:34 AM   #1
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Post Heel Toe Test - Can You Do It??

Hi ya all - quick question - Brina rasied teh subject of doing a heel to toe test (where you walk with one foot directly in front of the other) first with eyes open then shut. Can you all do this. I can only do it with my eyes open - I feel awful with my eyes shut and feel unable to do it - how about you?

Old 08-19-2003, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

scant5 HB User
I can do this test fine with my eyes open and pretty good on a flat surface, but on an incline, it can be pretty tough. However, my husband has a hard time with this one so I suspect somewhere down the road after many years of not wearing ear protection and his constant battle with tinnitus, he could have a slight balance problem himself. I practice this walk every evening. Lots of times I rely on my dogs to make sure all goes well.....don't trust them especially the 14 month old....

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi Scant - thanks for your response - you were the one who nearly fell in the ditch right practising this!! that was a funny story. Can you do it with your eyes closed?

Old 08-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #4
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
I can do it slowly with eyes open but v v difficult with eyes shut, can't do it. xxx

Old 08-19-2003, 09:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

brina HB User
hi all,

the heel toe test is with eyes open only........then with the eyes closed i had to walk 'normal' toward the prof to see if i veered off left or right.... for me it was to the left which indicates a prob in that ear....apparently..........

take care

brina

Old 08-19-2003, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Okay crisis over - if its when your eyes are open thats ok...............I am laughing now. thanks all. hey Emsy what if anything have you been diagnosed with? Thanks Brina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2003, 11:12 AM   #7
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Just did the eyes shut test walking normal and guess what - yep I so cannot walk in a straight line - always veering left!!! weird or what. I have repeated it many times with dh (long suffering) checking and yep there it is. But to add to this strange thing when I am sitting on my bed ....I got that shifting sensation back (kinda like the rocking that Brina's got) emmmmmmmmm wonder why!!

Old 08-19-2003, 08:51 PM   #8
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
I Robertson - Labrinthitis though having ENG in Sept. Think it is the right diagnosis though also think there may be a eustacian tube problem. xxx

Old 08-20-2003, 06:19 AM   #9

sboily HB User
Hi everyone.

Did the test. With eyes open, I can do it. But with my eyes closed, I can't do it. What does it mean?

Sarah

Old 08-20-2003, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi Sboily - it is nothing to worry about as Brina reassured me - you can read all her comments on the 'Brina (rachaelhannah) thread. IT is nothing to worry about. I cannot do it at all and nor can she or emsysbob for that matter!! It is just one of those tests that the neuro's do to test balance - you do the heel toe bit with eyes open and then walk normally with eyes shut - I can walk normal with my eyes open but am all and I mean all over the place with eyes shut!! How are ya?

Old 08-20-2003, 07:30 AM   #11

sboily HB User
Hi,

I know what you mean, I'm all over the place as well with my eyes closed.

Well, I was doing better for a while. But lately, I've been very dizzy. I get panic attacks where I feel about to faint or die and I cannot breathe. I don't know what triggers them. I try to relax but it's so hard. Do you have those? I am so tired to feel out of my body. This the biggest obstacle life ever threw in my face. For the past few weeks, I was good in the sense that I accepted what I had and tried not to worry. I did not cry during that time, not to annoy my family. But yesterday, after my "attack", it all came out. As a result, today I am dizzier and have headaches.

I need to be reassured constantly but no one can do that. I want to know that I will get better and that I will not die. The doctors were not yet able to diagnose me and I find that hard.

You said earlier that our symptoms were alike. How were they in the first few months and how was your mental state? How are you now?

I used to think that I was a strong person both mentally and physically. But now, ouch!!!

This board is the only thing that reassures me. We all seem to know a lot more about dizziness than the professionals I've met.

Hope you are well. How hot is it where you are? Here, it seems this heat wave will never leave. Because of the blackout, we still can't use our air conditioned.

Sarah

Old 08-20-2003, 09:21 AM   #12

DizzyDave HB User
Sarah and all,

I have had what the Dr said was Labyrinthitis for nearly a month now. It got real bad with the dizziness most of the time and panic attacks like you described every few days. He gave me Betahistine and then finally Valium which I took for three days. Since the valium I haven't had symptoms and have now been drug free for two days and have felt relatively back to normal. I'm hoping it's gone and my system fought off the virus or whatever was causing it. I know that I'm being optimistic as I've read that it often recurs and I also had two days a while back where I thought I'd finished with it and then a dizzy and near death feeling hit me out of the blue.

Good luck everyone. I'm back to work next week I hope. my colleagues must think I'm crazy or a hypochondriac. I don't look sick in any way but I fear that if it comes back at work (I'm a teacher) it might scare the hell out of a few people.

Dave - Hopefully no longer dizzy!

Old 08-20-2003, 05:56 PM   #13
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi Sarah - sorry I took a while to reply i have been busy with baby William tonight.

Well when I first had the dizzies it was very bad. I had extreme vertigo - the room actually looked like it was moving , I felt very sick, very scared, could not walk unaided, had extreme motion sensativity, nystagmus in both eyes, felt like I was in constant motion and spinning. This went on for 9 weeks getting absolutley no better at any point. Then it slowly got better. I lost over a stone in weight. I cried alot, felt terrified and would actually sweat with fear. I would call the doctor non-stop for reasuurance - i was far too dizzy to be able to use a computer or read - I could nt watch tv as that would make it worse - I was a wreck.

Gradually it got better - i would walk around the house holding on to the wall and sitting down alot. I would even have to hold onto the bathroom sink if I was in the bathroom. I know an excellent doc who is a firned and they reassured me alot that this is very unpleasant but not life threateninh or serious. In my worst moments of fear I would call upon that phrase and repeat it numerous times until the panic and fear subsisded.

Then I got the rocking stage that Brina describes - this drove me nuts and was combined with the lightheadedness.

Then I got long spells with minimal symptoms - they were still there but very mild so as they would not crack you up or be really bothersome.

However i have never got rid of the head sensitivity - I have never not felt dizzy looking down (sya eating a meal or fixing food) for any length of time. I also feel dizzy if say the kids nudge me and I am not expecting it. I find standing still really uncomfortable and tend to fidget around to relieve it.

In between periods of feeling normal - the longest of that prob. 3 months. I would then suddenly start with nausea but no dizzies etc for 1 week or so. Then wham I would get sudden and intense vertigo for 2 mins then get the imablance thing for several more months along with lightheadedness and diizyness. I get the fainting thing too that you describe - for me it is not a panic attack though. I have discovered (Subs likely agree) that the vestibular sytem when over sensative has a direct effect on the autonomic nervous system - that is it can cause your blood pressure to momentarily drop in response to these mixed messages - hence the dizzies - also the flush you then get is simply an adrenaline response. I have had panic attacks in the past 0- they are scary. But I learned that they are just a response to adrenaline - that is all nothing scary not a big bad monster. Eventually I just as claire weeks describes in her book - 'found the eye of the storm and went with it'basically you feel the symptom come on - you then totally accept it - you breath for your tummy - breath in for 4 and out for 5 (this corrects your carbon dioxide levels and slows the adrenaline release) and repeat a calming thought - eg: this is ok I can handle this - it is a response to adrenaline - I am ok - this is not harmfull. It sounds weird I know - but if you take this stance eventually you will beleive this and then hey presto you do not fear an attack - once the fear is gone they have no power - no power - no attacks. Honest take it form one who has been there and soooooooooo done that.

I am loads better now - I go through phases of it beingt hard to cope with and like you want constant reasurance. I used to have a weekly appointment with my doctor to talk it over with and I could cope better with that. I think having a cry about it is a good thing - it helps release stress and the pent up worry over it. I also had a friend who had had it also and I could call her up and say did you feel this way etc.

Do not worry toomuch about not having an exact diagnosis - me too. I think that once they now its not serious (no neurological deficits) thne they kinda think it will resolve itself - which is true - it just very much in its own time. You will get through this patch - so do not give up - If you are worried just post and we will reply and try to reassure you some more!! This is a long ramble - sorry if its boring. Good Luck

Old 08-21-2003, 09:04 AM   #14
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
I Robertson, your post really reassured me. I must say your GP sounds fantastic, I would love to go and see my Doc every wk for a chat. I have considered counselling as have found this whole thing very hard. I still have that rocking sensation I got after the plane, it got a lot better after 10 days of having it and is still at that stage and is far easier to cope with but it's still there. Did yours just start up one day? How long did it take to go? I am finding it much worse than my "normal" dizzies. Saying that, my normal dizzies are still with me, I just notice them a bit less as this is worse. I have big problems looking up and have done since having this disorder.

Am fed up of all this! Just looking forward to going to the ENT at the end of Sept to be honest. Just want someone to listen. What was your exact diagnosis? I cant remember if you had an ENG?

I live in Northumberland by the way. Not that far from Scotland! xxx

Old 08-21-2003, 09:25 AM   #15
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi Emysbobs- well I was pretty bad for about 9 months then gradually got better. But I seem to have been stuck with the imbalance thing and dizzies 24/7 for the past 6 months. Perhaps pregnancy agrevated it - not sure - nor are the medical proffesion. I deff. initially had lab's and now they say what I have is the sequel (after-effects) that have over sensatised my balance mechanism. Not sure if I buy that entirely. No I have not had the ENG - I asked for it last week and he said absolute waste of time it would only confirm what he already new. HHhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.

But I did have an MRI - ok so I know that it is not a tumour or MS pr anurysm or anything - but in a way that only serves to make the medical proffesion a little complacent. I think they think well its not serious in terms of being life threatening but I think (likely as they have never felt it) that they fail to realsie the stress and impact it has on day to day living..........LOL.

Any how he said perhaps it could be central - something about a pinched atrery - again not serious or life threatening - appaerentlt this can restrict blood flow to the inner ear - but again its a long shot.

I start VRT in Sept - roll on - like you I just want to get reassurance that if nothing else it will go away and I will be back to normal.

What about you - what have they come up with so far. What are your symptoms - do you have imbalance - by that I mean the sensation og being unbalanced but you still look to all intents and purposes normal. Thanks. Chin up girl - we will beat this thing.

Closed Thread