It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 07:06 PM   #1

LarLarz HB User
Unhappy Tingly Head?

Ear is feeling alittle better since I stopped smoking yesterday. But my head feels heavy and alittle numb and tingly all day. Only on the right side though. (Of course) That is where the bad ear is. Numbness and tingling (sometimes light twinges of pain) feels like it is all around the ear and to the top of my head and my jaw. What do u think? I had a sinus infection or bad head cold over the weekend.(terrible sinus pressure and headaches) It was feeling better today though. Have you ever experienced this??

Old 10-06-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
Inactive

pw47 HB User
Hi LarLarz -
I had to reply to your post:
I have had chronic sinus issues for years, occasional infections. Most recently, my left ear has stuffed up and won't clear. I've had some dizziness, and Dr. says it is inflamed (gave me Ciprodex drops, but they won't go in, and also I'd like to use something natural) - and there was pain in the canal when the Dr. used the instrument to look inside my ear. I've got this weird head feeling, started mildly awhile ago, but worse recently - it's SO strange - headache, heavy, pressure, tingly, almost a numb feeling and some very tender spots on my head - massage and brushing my hair thoroughly seems to help just a little. It feels as though if I turn my head one way, it takes a second to "catch up" and I feel dizzy for a second - does that make sense or sound familiar to you? It's like a "heavy lightheaded" feeling! That seems a good way to describe it.

I am a high-anxiety person and I think the "weird head feeling" is made somewhat worse by my worry and stress (as is the sinus issue) because I think about this so much. Had a head MRI and it was ok. Have mild neck arthritis, and sinusitis and now the ear inflammation. I recently read about TMJ/tooth clenching. I couldn't believe all the symptoms that can be caused by TMJ - there is a doctor who believed that much of the ills felt by people is the result of TMJ disorder. I don't think I have TMJ per se, but I do clench my teeth very strongly and I think that may be part of the culprit. All these things are connected, and can cause many of the same symptoms.

Do you clench your teeth?

Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2003, 10:44 AM   #3

zachanie HB User
Lightbulb

On July 3rd I had a horrible day at work. I do telemarketing which is a stressor enough, but then they made me spend the day trying to do outbound sales to a bunch of older angry people. To make matters worse, most of them cussed me out. So, I was feeling pretty upset. Then on the 4th, I started not too feel too well after over indulging at the family picnic. I went to the fireworks but got lost and almost wrecked on the interstate. I came home and was able to calm down but I played a very violent game of volleyball in my pool which resulted in a lot of water and chlorine entering my ears. That night I was driving my exboyfriend home and I had a weird feeling, my chest hurt and I felt dizzy. I was going to pull over and cry but I decided to chance it. It was 3 am on a dark country road and I was not about to sit there alone. I went to the emergency room and they told me I had heartburn., then I went to see a doctor a little while after that who told me I had anxiety, and another doctor who I asked to check my ears told me I had anxiety and allergies. So, 4 months later I am still dizzy, I still have pressure headaches, my ears hurt, right now I'm going through a sinus infection, and i get terrible neck pains. I have learned to deal with the constant dizziness and pressure. But it feels like I'm clenching my teeth all the time. I have gotten the courage to drive again because I forced myself. I go to school and work and I try to live as normally as possible. But the doctor told me my constant anxiety is why I think I'm sick all the time. It's bumming me out I cry alot more, but I live as normal as possible and try to ignore the dizziness.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:17 AM   #4

LarLarz HB User
Wow...we are like peas in a pod. I think we can all relate to one another. I know anxiety and stress are making me worse. And I am sure if I was not this way, my head, ear and sinuses would be a mild irritation. Istead of the focal point of my being. Last night I bought a high Vitamin B Complex and St. John's Wort. I also smoked a pack a day and quit that 2 days ago as well. Look up the vitamin B...it is supposed to help alot with stress, anxiety, energy, alertness. I know when I quit smoking before I took a ton of sudafed and it did clear my ear out and I guess it did not clog back up bc I was not smoking. After a month of feeling much better I began smoking again. Within 1 week my ear clogged back up. And it has been a mess ever since. (that was in July)
I do clench my teeth and grind them at night. I am sure TMJ is factoring some, but my real culprit is my sinuses. I do have some allergies and am now using Flonase once a day as well. (no side effects to date)And I am also taking a multi-vitamin once a day. I am trying to decide though weather to take the St. John's Wort (For that warm and fuzzy feeling) or continue with the vitamin B? I don't think I can take both at the same time. Not sure though. I wish you all the best of luck! Just keep telling yourself that it will not be forever!! And I BET if you could curb at least some of the anxiety then you would feel alittle better.
Email me if you like! larz278@yahoo.com

Take care!
Laura

Old 10-09-2003, 03:10 PM   #5

Carolynmmm HB User
Cool

Hi

I am a new pea for your pod
I am on a zillion antihistamines and my ears still feel really clogged and make crackly noises and I've been leaving work early becaiuse Im dizzy way to often lately.
I have panic attacks too so I think when I get dizzy i freak out and make everything worse.
My doctor took blood and didnt find anything reallly, proteins are high,; I dont know what that mean yet. My allergist gave ne allegra, allegra-D (helped), meclizine (just made me sleep), a nasal sparay called Astelin (helpful) and Im taking Singulair at night b4 I go to bed.(dont know exactly what it does)
The girl that took my blood said her husband had the same thing and was brought on by not sleeping and poor diet. He gets the vitamin B shots now and says that is helping.
From what I read I think this is brough on by not enough oxygen in the blood so Im trying to get with the B vitamins and CO Q 10.
I dont want to take all this medication but feel desperate.
Please let me know if something works for you.
I wish you all the best.
Your fellow pea

Carolyn

Old 01-30-2004, 07:51 PM   #6

Chrislynn HB User
Re: Tingly Head?

I know it's been a while since any of you have posted on this board but I was just reading all the posts and WOW! I found some people with some of the same afflictions as me!

I have been suffering from an ear ache in my right ear for several months and I finally decided to go see an ENT. I was examined today and he found nothing wrong with my ears except some wax that was pressing against my ear drum which could have been responsible for the ear pressure and pain and perhaps the dizziness. My ear pressure and hearing was perfect and I did not have fluid in my ear nor was it swollen.

I have missed a lot of work over the past several months and have left early many times because of this nausea and dizziness. I have been told by my co-workers that I look pale too. Well that's usually what happens when you feel as if you are going to either pass out or throw up.

I am starting to feel as if my coworkers are getting annoyed with the fact that I am always sick. No one really seems to ask me how I'm doing when I'm out anymore and they throw the work on me like you would not believe with little or no sensitivity to how bad I feel. They do not realize it's actually taking every ounce of energy I have just to get my work done.

It's very frustrating because I have a very high stress job and I have been feeling like I have been experiencing anxiety attacks lately due to the stress and the fact that I have just felt plain sick for many months now.

I am having a CT scan of my sinuses done next week to rule out sinus disease. I was given meds today to help dry up my post nasal drip. I'm still feeling some pain and pressure in my right ear although the dizziness is gone for the time being.

I hope all of you are doing well these days. Sorry about the long post- but I just had to vent.

Take care-

Last edited by Chrislynn; 01-30-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Re: Tingly Head?

Hi LarLarz,
you disapeared for a while. I figured you got better, last time we talked you were trying to quit smoking. I quit smoking myself a month ago. Feel the same. I used nicorette it worked good just could not afford it so I screwed up and started dipping again. I have only dipped 3 times today and have bad acid reflux. I now remember why I quit it the first time. I will never smoke again though. Sorry to hear you are ill again and highly recomend you give up the smoking. I would think that the smoke could really screw up your sinuses.

Best wishes

Derek

Last edited by Bothrops; 01-30-2004 at 08:53 PM.

Closed Thread