It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 07:11 AM   #1
Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User
Post POLL: what meds did you take from onset and how long?

I am just wondering about how many of us dizzys are still taking meclizine or some sort of muscle relaxer or any other kind of sleepy meds.
I have been diagnosed with BPPV by ENT dr. and by balance therapist. I have done the EPLEY several times but still had imbalance. BUT after learning how the sleepy meds hinder or interrupt the compensation process I completely quit taking any and also started doing simple balance exercises. It has been going on 4 weeks now and I am really beginning to feel normal. This is the 6th day of feeling better and I have had these symptoms thru my ordeal since July 12:
-vertigo
-imbalance
-unable to concentrate well
-fullness in head and ears
-earaches
-mild tinnitus
-developed tmj from the tension
-terrible tension and waves of anxiety
-jumpy eyes
-night sweats
-panic attacks
-hyper sensitive to noise-
-terrible tension in my my neck and the back of head

Anyway, I feeling SO much better and am determined to stick it out with the balance exercises and stay off the sleepy meds. I have been just steadily been getting better. It has been slow but not the ups and downs like I was having. I realize that everyone is different and could have other things going on besides BPPV. (By the way, I had LAB for sure nine years ago which I think all of this mess I have been in is in relation to that). Anyway, hope you will take this poll. I am interested in the medicine aspect of our dizzyness.

My answer to the poll is:

Was put on steriods and meclizine (3 per day) for about 2 1/2 weeks. Then took meclizine on and off and then a strong muscle relaxer on and off after that when I felt like I needed it. Then the ENT put me on steriods again 2 months after the initial onset. I went off the medicines completely about 4 weeks ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

littleone1972 HB User
My answer is I was put on serc which didn't work for about 8 weeks, then Stugeron 3.75mg a day supplemented by diazepam 1mg night and morning to help me sleep. I stopped the diazepam as I was afraid of the side effects and took amytripalene. Since having my Vestibular testing a week ago I haven't taken anything (apart from one day I took a couple stugeron to help me cope (which as willsmom told me won't make a difference in isolation!) so I stopped. Got simple balance exercises, feeling really bad today but I pushed myself too much yesterday so only got me to blame! Hoping the exercises will make a difference and brain will start to compensate soon! Symptoms were exactly same as yours except I don't have BBPV.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #3

willsmom HB User
Hey when I initially got hit by Lab's I had:

major vertigo - room spinning
unbelievably dizzy all the time
felt near impossible to stand or walk without support
Panic attacks and waves of anxiety

Took meclazine and some other anti-dizzy drug, it sounded like chroloroide. Took that for 4 months solid and it made no difference at all. Took daizepham for 3 days when first hit with it to calm down and sleep - never had that since.

Then after the 4 month mark started on Stugeron - helped reduce the symptoms greatly and took that solid for probably the best part of 7 months.

Then recovered and was ok only to get recurrent bouts when I would restart the Stugeron and agian be ok.

But this year have taken no meds only in the belief that I would compensate - but have since been told I have BPPV and could not get better properly without trying to get rid of the crystals first.Oh forgot to say that I also took serc for a few months back - absolutely zero effect.

[This message has been edited by willsmom (edited 10-12-2003).]

Old 10-12-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
Hi, my symptoms started gradually, then got worse but never full blown vertigo. Was offered Serc, Stemetil which I tried for 2 days! Stemetil knocked me out and made the waves even bigger whilst Serc helped slightly but made me tired. After being told by my ENT to stays off meds, I gave up and in the whole year I've been ill, have only taken about 6 (inc a couple on plane this summer). Not that it's helped me staying off the meds! But am now trying VRT and from what I have read, it seems (I hope) to work better than any medication xxx

Old 10-13-2003, 03:08 AM   #5

NoodyPooh HB User
Diagnosis: BPPV

Meds I took during my "dizzies":

Meclizine for about 1 week when the dizzies first started.
Predisone for 10 days and an anti-viral medication.
Potassium pills as the predisone stripped the potassium from my system.
Valium for about 1 week (couldnt tolerate it)
Xanax...which helped the most...3 a day..Now I rarely take them.
I also tried gingko biloba and magnesium as I heard it improved the blood flow to the ear..Helped alittle, but couldnt tolerate them.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #6

navelis HB User
I took Meclizine for one day. My ENT said NOT to take them. Slows down the compensation process.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User
Question

navelis-
what about muscle relaxers? my ENT dr. told me to stay off meclizine but doesn't think that a mild muscle relaxer will hurt me in order to relieve the tension i have in my neck and head. He also prescribed a decongestant and antihistamine for a stuffy nose, which I haven't taken cause those kind of meds make me feel weird when I am not dizzy!
Vicki

Old 10-15-2003, 01:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Hi,

My doctor prescribed Stemetil for vertigo and valium for sleeping. I took the Stemetil once, felt really sedated and even more "out of it", and never took it again. The only thing I do now is take valium (only 1.25 mg - I break the tablets into quarters) just before bed if necessary. I've relied mainly on herbs rather than drugs for sleeping and staying calm. I think it's paying off too because I'm starting to *finally* crawl out of this labyrinthitis hole after 7 weeks.

Cheers.....Scott

Old 10-15-2003, 01:27 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

brina HB User
hi,
meds i have taken are:-

Stemetil
i was told i would feel back to normal within an hour after taking this.... did nothing
Betahistine "
Diazepam .... helped to take away some of the severity of vertigo and anxiety
Zispin .... hhmmmm nothing for the "dizzy" but helps with the depression of having these awful symptoms.

best wishes

brina

Old 10-15-2003, 09:33 AM   #10
Inactive

Barnsley HB User
Hi all,

I took a little cocktail of three drugs prescribed by my GP at the beginning of this. Here was her "logic":

1. Allegra to dry out the inner ear
2. Rhinocort Aqua (steroid nasal spray) to reduce inflamation in the inner ear
3. Xanax to suppress vestibular signals to the brain

I did this mix for a month and hated every minute of it. I could not feel any real change in my symptoms the whole time, and by the end of the 4 weeks, the Xanax was actually MAKING me depressed. Luckily, like navelis, my ENT told me to immediately stop taking the drugs because they were hindering my progress. How right he was. My GP thought the drugs were there to help me cope and function while the condition just rode itself out, but she really had no clue that the longer I was on the drugs, the more it delayed my recovery.

Cheers everyone!
Terri

Old 10-15-2003, 11:19 AM   #11

navelis HB User
Yep, I fogot I got prescribed Allegra back in January, but it did not help me either. But, I know looking back- I do believe that Meclizine helps to cope at first- but, if you stay on it- it will just hinder the compensation process. Muscle relaxants shouldn't affect your compensation though. I didn't get prescribed any of those though. There is just no easy way out of this. We just have to wait it out. And, it's amazing how long it takes some of us. And, 2 others I know of- only had problems for about 1-2 months. This sucks- but we will eventually get better.

Take care everyone.

Jill

Closed Thread