It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 10:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Question Smoking & Dizziness

Hi everyone,
I have had vertigo problems for the past 6 months or so now with a still unclear diagnosis. I had an MRI and everything was normal, but my next stop is an allergist because I have severe allergies. To make it more complicated, I also have constant neck tension in pain, so I might actually get an x-ray of that, also. Anyway, my dizziness is more terrible than usual when I have a cold, which at this moment I do, but I was actually wondering if anyone else with inner ear disorders smokes, and how that affects the vertigo. We all know that smoking is terrible to your health and disgusting, but I do still smoke, and in the past couple of weeks, every single time I smoke a cigarette I get a pressurized sensation in my ears, lightheaded, then dizzy, then nauseous. Obviously I have to quit for more reasons than the dizziness, but I'm just curious as to whether this happens/has happned to anyone else. I just don't understand why after years of smoking this would happen now. Take care, good luck with your dizziness everyone

Old 10-23-2003, 10:37 AM   #2

navelis HB User
Solstice,

I think you may have inner ear prob. Yes, it can come from allergies. Seeing and Allergist should be great for you, as I think... that's who I need to see, if I don't get to 100% soon. I think I will even if I do. I'm beginning to think an Allergist may be more helpful to some than a Neurotologist(spelling.)

Good luck with finding a dx.

Smoking definately -probably aggravates it.

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 06:40 PM   #3

Cheyenne HB User
Hi,
That is my question! Does smoking aggravate the sinsuses? Im a smoker and have year round sinus infections. 5 months ago, I awoke with high pitch ringing in my right ear. It went from high pitch to cracking, popping, ticking now buzzing in both ears.It's very annoying. At times smoking makes it worst and Ive been trying to figure out if it is the cigarettes or sodas, Any help with these questions would be appreciated. No drs have addressed my questions on tinnitus but advised me to stop smoking.

Cheyenne

Old 10-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User
Hi all, have been a member of the dizzys for 7 mths now. If anyone knows how to stop smoking while we are fighting this mess, please tell me. I have tried to quit in the past and know the effects of that!!!! I do know that when this is over, my first plan is to quit.Good Luck to all. Belle

Old 10-29-2003, 07:12 AM   #5

LarLarz HB User
Hi all. I quit smoking over 3 weeks ago. I just could not stand the sinus infections and the plugged up ear. I noticed that my dizziness got alot better and if you suffer from anxiety then quitting smoking is a great way to curb that as well.

My ear prob is that I can make it crack all day long. And if I leep my mouth closed but blow air out I will feel like my ear is opening. Anyway...I will post a seperate message about that.

I am not saying that quitting will make these things go away...(althought that is possible...) but it will make everything alittle better.

Laura

Old 11-16-2003, 05:59 AM   #6

rudders HB User
smoking dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
Hi everyone,
I have had vertigo problems for the past 6 months or so now with a still unclear diagnosis. I had an MRI and everything was normal, but my next stop is an allergist because I have severe allergies. To make it more complicated, I also have constant neck tension in pain, so I might actually get an x-ray of that, also. Anyway, my dizziness is more terrible than usual when I have a cold, which at this moment I do, but I was actually wondering if anyone else with inner ear disorders smokes, and how that affects the vertigo. We all know that smoking is terrible to your health and disgusting, but I do still smoke, and in the past couple of weeks, every single time I smoke a cigarette I get a pressurized sensation in my ears, lightheaded, then dizzy, then nauseous. Obviously I have to quit for more reasons than the dizziness, but I'm just curious as to whether this happens/has happned to anyone else. I just don't understand why after years of smoking this would happen now. Take care, good luck with your dizziness everyone
hiya, i too am a smoker with the dizzies and yes my symptoms increase when i smoke, the good side to this is that sometimes the thought of how i'll feel if i light up has made me cut dowm dramatically. i have no answers to why this happens but just wanted you to know you arent alone.
Donna

Old 11-16-2003, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
Hi everyone,
Same here, I smoke for a week, quit, then dip for a week. One thing I have learned since all this started is acid reflux is very common with allergies and ETD. Smoking and dipping cause acid reflux. Do any of you have problems with acid reflux.

Hay Larz, were have you been. I was curious to see how your quiting smoking was going and wanted to know how you did it and if any products work. I am glad to here that you have hung in there for 3 weeks. Thats great. Even if it has nothing to do with your prob or ours it will help to keep you from getting additional probs in the future.

Hang in there everyone,

Derek

Closed Thread