It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lucille8 HB User
Natural Diuretic

Okay,
So my doctor wanted to to take Dyazide, a diuretic, to remove possible fluid in my ear.

The thing is, I can't manage to make myself take it for fear of the side effects, because of my past experiences with medicine with this inner ear disorder.

Does anyone know a natural diuretic and diet I could follow that would work just as well?

I really don't mind. I actually go to school for dietetics, so I feel this is up my ally. I would much rather go all natural, only if I could be sure it would have the same effect.

Thanks,
Stacey.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User
Re: Natural Diuretic

Hi there! My doc recommended greatly reducing salt in your diet. Also, I think ginger has a mild diuretic effect. Also good for nausea. There are also OTC diuretics that might be more mild than the prescription.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lucille8 HB User

Violet,
Okay thank you so much for the advice. I finally convinced myself to take it but it was not easy! My friends and family were like just take it. I'm just really scared of the unknown now because of all the effects the other medicines have had on me. I will probably take this for the next couple of months like my doctor wanted me to.

If I am to stay on diuretics for an extended period I would definitely like to talk to him about going a natural route. Between going to school for nutrition and my mom being a super health guru, I feel as if all natural is always the best way to go hands down. Here are the problems I've had I posted a while back on a message bored:

Anyways, starting back in August of 07 I use to take Excedrin all the time because I had migraines all the time since I was like 12 ( i was 19 at the time, so like 7 years). Well after taking them one time I felt very strange. I felt like my whole world was screwed up, i felt what I now know as dizziness. I assumed it was from something else, and when I took it a few days later with the same effect, i threw the bottle away and swore to never take it again.

I started having the same effects with caffeine and alcohol. Whenever I would consume them I'd feel so weird I felt like I was having a panic attack, and never in my life have I had anxiety. Eventually by June of 08, it had gotten so bad I had to eliminate those things as well, which wasn't easy because I pretty much lived off of caffeine and alcohol.

During the worst of it, before I eliminated these things I had severe visual changes. I had problems reading books because the worlds looked very strange to me, also on the computer. I began seeing weird spots in my eyes. Sometimes during the early day I remember looking on the ground and it looked like there were little white bugs all over the ground.

Anyways, over the past several months I now get numbness in my feet constantly. I get these electrical shocks every couple of months.

My main concerns are that I have problems thinking clearly, concentrating, and my memory seems non existent. I feel dizzy constantly 24/7, or off balance. I feel like everything has changed, like I feel distant from everything. I have to avoid those triggers to make sure the dizziness doesn't get worse.

**Basically I have an inner ear disorder that leaves me dizzy 24/7. The doctor I am seeing right now is playing guess work. Right now, he's trying to treat me for fluid in my ears. So I need a diuretic to get rid of it.

I am HIGHLY sensitive to caffeine and alcohol, among other medications I have taken in the past, I'm not sure exactly what they were called. One was a type of steroid I believe.

I'd love more than anything to find a natural remedy for this disease than to constantly be shoving medicines down my throat, that leave you often times with more risks and side effects than benefits.

Thank you guys so much!
Stacey

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Lucille – I'm glad you're giving the med a try to see if it helps. If not, you'll know that a diuretic is not the answer. Keep in mind that just because something is "natural" is meaningless for any treatment. At the end of the day, ingesting any molecule that has an effect on your body is a drug. Indeed many drugs are derived from plants. Vincristine, for example, comes from the Madagascar periwinkle and is used in cancer chemotherapy treatment. It's a "natural" molecule but a potent drug.

Best ... Scott

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
(female)

ZSE HB User

Hi Stacey

I stumbled across your thread while looking for some info on natural diuretics. I wanted to suggest to you that you have your doctor check your thyroid function as some of your symptoms are very similar to those I had from Grave's Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) which I had for half my life (from 15yo) until I had my thyroid taken out a year ago. If you feel comfortable asking him/her, try to make sure they test for TSH, T4 & T3 as seperate tests. I'm not sure about over there, but here in Australia, a standard thyroid fuction test (TFT) will just test your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone - from your piturity gland) and T4 and if those are within normal range, they don't go on to test your T3. However, it can sometimes occur that it is only the T3 which is not within normal limits.

I hope you get to the bottom of it all soon and that the meds you're on don't have any weird and unpleasant side effects.

Kirsty

Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lucille8 HB User

Kirsty,
Well thank you very much for the advice, I have already had my blood checked about a million times, the first time was when I was 12, when i knew something was wrong but didn't know what it was.

I have already been diagnosed with a vestibular disorder, all my tests came back abnormal. Thank you though.

I am so sorry to hear you have Grave's disease! I hope you have found a way to cope.

--Stace.

Last edited by lucille8; 03-14-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Closed Thread