It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
(male)

Starrla HB User
Vestibular Neuritis or Meniere's?

Around the first week of June of 09 I went to lay down for about a half an hour before leaving for work in the afternoon. I fine before laying down and when I arose from bed I was feeling fairly dizzy.

The dizziness seemed to pass later on in the evening while working. Although I was concerned, I tried not to think to much about it because it seemed to be going away. This was on a Monday. Tuesday, I got up and the same thing. I felt dizzy for a few hours as I did on Monday and again, seemed to go away later on in the evening.

Wed, Thurs, and Fri I were my worst days. Thursday and Friday were my worst days. I did feel as though the room was spinning however, I didn't have any shifting of the eyes. I just didn't feel right.

I did go the the ER on Monday and they told me it was positional vertigo because the dizziness seemed to be worse when I would go from the sitting up position to to laying down. But again, i didn't feel as though my eyes were rolling in my head or anything. I was just very dizzy. I was given serc and sent home. They also tried the exercise to try and rid me of my dizziness but it didn't work.

Tuesday I went to my family Doctor's and she told me that I seem to fit the bill for either Meniere's, bppv, or VN. So she was she arranged an appointment with an ENT. I've seen him since and he doesn't know for sure what I have yet but thinks I might have the very tip of Meniere's. But I'm on a waiting list to have an MRI.

Wed I went to er again because I felt worse and because I was given only a small doze of serc and because what I had wasn't going a way and seemed to be getting worse I need another opinion. Again bppv.

I feel like an idiot saying this but I went to the er again on Thursday and Friday and by Friday the Doctor who looked at me was frustrated with me because I was there a few times that week and was told by three different phyisicians including herself that I only had bppv and that eventually the crystals would dislodge themselves and my symtoms would subside. I tried to let her know that at this time I was getting some ringing in the in my right ear and sugested that from what I read on the internet maybe I have meniere's. She seemed very ticked that I was at emerg again so her reply was, whether it's bppv or Meniere's theres nothing that can be done and left the room.

I do remember Friday of that week being my worst day. I remember searching the internet and driving myself nuts with all the possible things I could have and scaring myself to death. I wear glasses but didn't have them on at the time. I remember leaning into the screan and before this time the dizziness from that morning had passed but when leaning in, I remember the dizziness hitting me like nothing else I experienced waking up to all week. I was very bad. I just felt like my head was spinning. And four about an hour or so tilting my head slightly would aggravate it. I really don't know what side was affected. perhaps both. I do remember when laying in bed and tilting my head to the left seemed to trigger it and it would go away the moment I turned my back to the right. I haven't had any spells like that but still feel crappy for most of the day. Not really dizzy but feel unbalanced when I turn a or lean certain ways. I do now have ringing in my ears that doesn't stop. I find to that when I sleep on my right side that the ringing tends to transfer to my right ear and when I turn on my left side it transfers to my left ear. Also I I've noticed during these attacks I didn't lose any hearing what so ever. I don't know if a typical meniere's attack makes u lose your hearing while the attack is happing or not. And there was no ringing in my ears before or after the attack. the ringing started a few days after that week of attacks.

I'd like to point out that in my right ear that although nothing sounds distorted as far as sounds comming in, but when I talked I feel like a vibrating or somewhat of distorted sound comming from me when I talk.

I remember to that about six months back or so I remember sitting in chair watching a movie. I was dozing off as it was late in the evening. I remember my head would fall a bit and I'd catch myself to try and stay awake to catch the rest of a movie I was watching. I remember getting dizzy from this to and didn't think to much of it so went to bed and was gone by morning.

I also remember in 2005 waking up and looking at the clock by the bed and my eyes at the time were shifting back and forth. This lasted for a few mins and then stopped. But at that time I went to emerg and by the time I got there the dizziness stopped altogether. At the time they didn't suggest bppv, meniere's or anything. They did give me a ct scan at the time and nothing showed up.

I'm very sorry for such a long story but would appreciate any input you may have on this.

Again, I'm still waiting for an MRI as the ent doc suggest it could be the tip of meniere's. But won't know for sure until I have an MRI and with more investigating I guess. Until then I'm taking serc(water pills), Lipo Flavanoids as it supposedly helps the tinnitis and over all ear circulation.

Again to I didn't feel any preasure in my ear or ears or ringing before all of this. I also have in the very short past have been listing to an ipod which I have been for about a year and a half now full blast. Not sure if this is where the tinnitus stemmed from and these attacked I had all week brought the tinnitus out? Plus I always listen to music loud in my car. Havent' since though after all of this.

I have had head injury in the past from beatings from my bro. I'm 38 yrs old and that a looooonnnng time ago. Not sure if this helps with the info or not. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can so I can do everything I can treat what ever it is i have and try and live a normal life.

<Edited: no one here can diagnose. This is a patient to patient support group.>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: Vestibular Neuritis or Meniere's?

Starria,

Here's my take on this:

1) You may have a mild case of VN which appears to be a very big nuisance and is freaking you out (hence the trips to the ER). I was in the same boat as you and made the same trips to the ER here in Sydney when it first hit. If it's VN, it will go on it's own. The acute period typically lasts about 6 weeks and you'll continue to compensate for months afterwards until you no longer notice anything.

2) You have migraine associated vertigo. This can easily produce the symptoms you report. Migraine is not what most people think – i.e. it is not just a headache; rather, it encompasses a large spectrum of neurological disturbances. You may never even experience a headache and still can have a nasty case of MAV.

3) I agree it is not BPPV. You do not report nystagmus but just a rotten feeling from lying to sitting etc. This is not diagnostic for BPPV. The nurse or doctor don't know what they're talking about.

If this is not getting better after 6 weeks and you keep getting hit with new and strong dizziness, start learning about MAV and the triggers to avoid to end it.

Cheers ... Scott

Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
(female)

leeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB User

First of all I would like to tell you your not an idiot for going to the ER several times. Being dizzy or having vertigo is a very scary feeling and very debilitating. Believe me, I had been there many, many, times. That doctor was the idiot not you. Most doctors don't know how to deal with situations like ours. I would like you to read my post even if you think you don't have migraines/headaches. I did not see you list that as one of your symptoms, but you can still have dizziness, ringing in the ears and vertigo without head pain. Second, you need to get a hearing test. That will rule out many ear issues if your hearing is good. Third, if you have BPPV, or Meneire's Disease, there are treatments for them. Since you did the manuevers and it did not help, most likely its not BPPV but you should get a hearing test to rule out Meneire's. Also your a little bit on the young side for Meneire's Disease. Hope this helps and please read my post!

Last edited by leeshy215; 06-26-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
(male)

steadySD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyin View Post
Starria,

Here's my take on this:

1) You may have a mild case of VN which appears to be a very big nuisance and is freaking you out (hence the trips to the ER). I was in the same boat as you and made the same trips to the ER here in Sydney when it first hit. If it's VN, it will go on it's own. The acute period typically lasts about 6 weeks and you'll continue to compensate for months afterwards until you no longer notice anything.

2) You have migraine associated vertigo. This can easily produce the symptoms you report. Migraine is not what most people think – i.e. it is not just a headache; rather, it encompasses a large spectrum of neurological disturbances. You may never even experience a headache and still can have a nasty case of MAV.

3) I agree it is not BPPV. You do not report nystagmus but just a rotten feeling from lying to sitting etc. This is not diagnostic for BPPV. The nurse or doctor don't know what they're talking about.

If this is not getting better after 6 weeks and you keep getting hit with new and strong dizziness, start learning about MAV and the triggers to avoid to end it.

Cheers ... Scott
I appreciated you response very much, about 3 weeks ago I began waking up each day with nausea, dizziness, and what I called sinus headaches, after some research I believe they are what is called migraines. Since I never had them before, I wasn't familiar with the funny pressure that seems to move all over my head. Any way I have been prescribed Prednisone twice because I didn't get much better after the first course. I've just finished the second course today, and I still have the migraines, the ear ringing, and fortunately, only mild nausea that comes & goes. How can I tell if it's VN or Menieres?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
(male)

TheFaithfulFew HB User

I have all the symptoms of Meniere's, but haven't been officially diagnosed, but I can tell you, yeah, the dizziness and vertigo are AWFUL! When I notice that my equilibrium is starting to go crazy on me, I immediately head home. As long as I can get to my bed and lay down, the dizziness will still be there, but it won't affect me as I'll just be lying down still, or asleep. My episodes last, at a maximum, of 12 hours, and the actual debilitation only lasts about 9 to 10 hours. So I am very blessed not to go through what you've got as I am FINE for months at a time. I don't even get vertigo and vomit each time for my episodes, the dizziness is all I get and is just annoying.

You have my prayers, friend. ^_^

Closed Thread