It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
(male)

alexd88 HB User
Question Cause of repeating fluid build up behind ears?

Hi

During the last 8 months I've had ear problems, it all started with loud noises inside both ears similar to scraping metal, water flowing and the loud sound of heart beating.

Doctors said there was nothing there and to just wait it out. Few months later I was getting nosebleeds almost each morning and Googled both to find that it could be a Eustachian tube problem. So I purchased a device called an 'ear popper' which blows air into the Eustachian tube to 'drain' the fluid that is said to be causing these problems.

However the instructions said to use for maximum of 2 weeks and if the problem persists to see a doctor. I've been using it for a month and if I skip even one evening the noises keep me up all night until I use the ear popper. Each time I use it both ears go deaf for 20-30 seconds and then make a pressurizing sound for several minutes (same sound in ears when airplane descends but much stronger). This seems to provide some relief.

But each following morning I wake up and both ears feel blocked and hearing is dull, if I rub around the neck and behind ear area I can feel lot's of fluid and swishing built up there. I don't know how come the doctors don't see it when looking inside the ears.

Long thread made short I am wondering what conditions could cause the fluid to keep coming back even though I've been draining it quite often for over a month. Does someone here know?

I've been doing stretches and neck exercise for RSI and back pain and this started somewhat after that, could it be a joint problem that fluid is flowing out of the brain area around the ears or something? I'm being paranoid I know, but the pressure feels like the entire head is full of water sometimes, it bugs me.

Feedback appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Cause of repeating fluid build up behind ears?

Hi...I hate when that happens on TV...I wouldn't want to imagine it in real life conversations.

Have you had an MRI done on your head? I'm thinking you need to have one considering the other problems you're having with the fluid in/behind your ear.

Have you tried Sudafed PE? If you have any eustachian problems, this might help to clear it.

I have BPPV and eustachian problems as well....Some days I feel like in the twilight zone. I do have neck problems...could be part of it. But the Sudafed does seem to help.

When I have BPPV attacks, I do use Sudafed daily.... Since the new forumulation of the PE, I didn't think it'd work, but it does. I've never used the 12 hour stuff...I'd probably be way too shakey, etc.

Oh, last question...have you tried a nasal lavage? The Neti Pot is something you might want to consider....

q

Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
(male)

alexd88 HB User

Hi thanks for your reply, where do you get some of the things you mentioned? I asked for them at a pharmacy but the pharmacist gave me a blank look like I was asking her for moon dust or something.

I've had an MRI but I didn't get the injection that helps them see your brain clearer because my friend had it done and had a bad reaction to the stuff, they didn't mentioning anything out of order on the 'basic' MRI though.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

LOL...why am I not surprised about the blank stare...

Sudafed can be found in the area for cold products.
It's a decongestant, and it says in bold letters across the top Sudafed PE. This is a new formulation because it doesn't contain the pseudoephedrine and it can be taken every 4 -6 hours I think.

The Sudafed 12 hour capsule has pseudoephedrine in it and could be worth the try...it might give you the shakes or raise your blood pressure if that's an issue.

Do a search for Sudafed and you'll see the formulations I'm talking about . I'm sure they're available everywhere in the US and Canada.

Regarding the Neti Pot...it can be purchased at most health food stores. There are different kinds to buy..I have the Neti Pot brand one...but the others can work the same.

Hope you feel better soon.
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 08-03-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Closed Thread