It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #31
(male)

warpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Vestibular Imbalance Disorder... after a decade!!! Now what?

oh wow i saw that verapmil is a calcium blocker they put me on that years ago maybe the blockers are my way I did not feel anything when i took verapmil I might ask him mmm.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #32
(male)

Re: Just diagnosed with Vestibular Imbalance Disorder... after a decade!!! Now what?

Verapamil is in a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers. It works by relaxing the muscles of your heart and blood vessels.

Verapamil is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure), angina (chest pain), and certain heart rhythm disorders.

i will talk to doctor about this this stuff was givin to me when i had severe pain from bppv eyes hurt alot i had not real side effects this was given to me by terry fife in az the number one vertigo doctor in the state.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #33
(male)

if i am correct migraines are because serotonin widens the arterys mmm verapamil relaxes them i tell everybody here this stuff was good with little side effects.

I stopped taking it because i thought i felt nothing was happening when on it but i was wrong wow thanks for jogging my mind alborde!!!!

Last edited by warpony2310; 01-04-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #34
(male)

Although the cause of migraine attacks is not fully understood, it is thought that the widening of blood vessels in the brain causes the pain associated with migraine attacks.

It is also believed that a chemical called serotonin (also known as 5HT) is released in the brain at the beginning of an attack. Serotonin triggers the release of other chemicals that cause blood vessels in the brain to widen. Serotonin itself causes blood vessels in the brain to narrow.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

This is something I wrote elsewhere but is relevant here as people are asking what migraine is:

A myth that still exists out there is that migraine is the result of just a vascular problem – that it is caused by vasodilation or the expanding of blood vessels on pain sensitive structures in the brain. We now know that migraine is a neurological disease that involves much more than the blood vessels (blood vessels expand as a result of the attack). Migraine involves aspects of the central nervous system, neurotransmitters and other brain chemicals, electrical impulses, the body's inflammatory response, the trigeminal nerve (located in the face and head), and others. The physical reaction that begins the migraine attack is called "cortical spreading depression (CSD)". CSD is a dramatic wave of electrical excitation that spreads across the surface of the brain (the cerebral cortex) and is set off by a migraine trigger. Because the cerebral cortex is involved in language, thought, perception, and memory, it's often why a migraine attack trashes one or all of these causing cognitive problems. In MAV the hyperexcitability in the brain stem overlaps with the vestibular system and causes the dizziness/ dysequilibrium/ vertigo.

Scientists are pretty much certain now that CSD explains many if not all aspects of migraine. This model also explains why certain drugs work to prevent migraine, by raising the threshold for aggravating a CSD event. Migraine also involves what is called an "ionopathy" or abnormality of the flow of chemicals in your brain across cell membranes and includes serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenalin. Many migraineurs have lower than normal levels of magnesium, a mineral that plays a role in how calcium behaves and in the regulation of serotonin. Still some migraineurs have problems with calcium channels and explains why a drug like Verapamil (a calcium channel blocker) works for some. Dopamine is yet another brain chemical that some migraineurs have trouble processing. It's no wonder that given the wide range of biochemical problems associated with migraine that one drug can be effective for one person (SSRI for example which targets serotonin only) and not another – or it may require a two or three-pronged approach to end the attacks in someone with a number of chemical abnormalities.

Scott

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #36
(male)

well put scott ,they expand at attack so to relax the vessels would be a good thing and lessen the pain of the atttack perhaps!

good points

Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #37
(female)

jezsab HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alborde View Post
jezsab,
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to read your post.
Only someone who has experienced life before and after using a BrainPort can understand how life-changing it is. It is a miracle.
It is so nice to find someone like you who understands and can relate!

You wrote so well about the cognitive impact.
I found that after a couple of week of using the BrainPort, words would come out of my mouth and surprise me! I was incredibly articulate. I had a great vocabulary.
Of course, I always had that vocabulary, but I was so mentally fatigued from the inner ear disorder that I fumbled over words on a regular basis.
I am a college professor and the cognitive impact of my inner ear disorder has been very frustrating!

jezsab, do you own the BrainPort?
I only had one for 8 weeks as a participant in a clinical trial. They are not yet approved for sale in the U.S.
Hi Alborde
I do own my Brainport. I traveled to UK as a private patient as I was so desperate and there is no chance of trying this device in Australia. I could not wait years for us to catch up! It was a costly exercise but has been worth it as the quality of my life has improved so much already. Although not approved for sale here, there is nothing to stop a person buying it and importing it for personal use. It is available in Canada and I presume US citizens can do the same as I did. The device is expensive, costs 7000 euros but it is worth much more than that to me!

People who encounter us do not always appreciate what we were like before these problems hit us, how different our lives were. I worked at a high level in a government department in Australia, traveled regularly for work, conducted training and did much public speaking. After my brainstem injury at age 46 I found it hard to speak, slurred my words, found it difficult to make decisions, and I looked about 90 yrs old. More than six years on I feel as if I am getting younger each year, though certainly not as sprightly as other 53 yr olds! Dizziness and balance problems were just a fraction of the neurological deficits I experienced. Recently I was able to give a presentation about Brainport to some staff from the Vestibular Investigation Unit at the Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. I was told afterwards that I am an excellent speaker! I was so thrilled that I have progressed to the point where I was able to do that and get such positive feedback. A patient with vestibular problems attended the session and is now in the UK for Brainport training. I am over the moon at the possibility that he will get similar benefit to me and was grateful for the opportunity to give him a try of the device before he committed to an overseas trip. His results were so promising after one week of short sessions that he decided to buy a device. This patient told me that he felt so emotional when he heard me speak as he could relate to my situation.

Isn't it amazing to connect with people who understand what we are all going through?!!! When I read the patient testimonials for the Brainport on the UK website I could not stop sobbing I was so overcome that these people would know exactly how I felt each day. The brain injury left me unable to cry for several years but it was like a dam burst in me that day!

I hope for you that you have another opportunity to continue your rehabilitation with the Brainport. Never give up hope that you can change your life.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #38
(male)

well i went to doctor and he said it wasn,t labyrinthiti,bothering me it was migraine,he gave verapamil,120mg at night and 120 in mourning ,i will let you no have i feel .

Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #39
(female)

alborde HB User

I hope the verapamil works for you.
MAV (migraine associated vertigo) can be a miserable thing to have!
One thing to think about and just my opinion:
A neurologist is likely to say that it is a neurological problem like migraines.
Have you seen a neurotolgist (a doc who specializes in brain/inner ear)? I wonder what she/he would say?

jeszab,
i have so much to say! I will write more later. Your post makes me very happy!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #40
(male)

ok had what would have been a four hour magraine but went away in 20 minutes oh well freaked out pressure around head but lifted,

Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #41
Senior Veteran
(male)

>>> A neurologist is likely to say that it is a neurological problem like migraines.

A good neurologist should be able to work out through differential diagnosis whether or not the problem is central (migraine) or peripheral (VN, BPPV, or labs). In many cases MAV can end up being a diagnosis of exclusion or one that is pegged once that person responds to a migraine medication and the dizziness is resolved.

Scott

Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
(male)

he stated my systoms we talked about were migraine ,he stated the doctor gave me verapmil last time i had bppv becauce of the migraine associated with vertigo.

they are going to check me next week he thinks the nerve behind my eye in inflamed,a xray machine not mri in his office.mmm never heard of that. you?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #43
(male)

my eyes started hurting bad 2 months ago when i had sinus laby stuff and i woke up and the room was spinning ang i threw up the spinning never happened again thats why i think they are sore. when people have labyrinthis they spin and throw like that from what i here?

the doctor stated it was not true labyrinthitis because my eyes did not jerk or i had no hearing loss? mmmmm

Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #44
Senior Veteran
(male)

>>> he doctor stated it was not true labyrinthitis because my eyes did not jerk or i had no hearing loss?

That's nonsense. It really cracks me up when I hear some of the stuff doctors will tell you about dizziness.

If you had a sinus issue when this all started that could all easily be migraine-related. Migraine quite commonly causes sinus pain because affected nerves innervate this area. Neck pain is also a common feature.

S

Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #45
(male)

to tell you the truth my eyes have been hurting for the last year maybe i should have taken this a whlie back or maybe never stopped.

Closed Thread

Tags
attention, cognitive, inner ear, memory, vertibular