It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
(male)

aquarian123 HB User
Dizziness and vomiting

The first two days i felt like I would die.

On 6 January I woke up in the middle of the night and the bed was pitching and the room spinning. I made it to the bathroom and vomited. I had to stay in the bathroom sitting against the tub (I couldn't lie flat and the heat was off in my apartment and the bathroom was slightly water). A couple of hours later I threw-up again - yellow bile. A few more hours and threw-up greyish bile.

Day two and night two was spent sleeping. Still intense room spinning so I spent night two sitting to sleep in the bathroom.

Day three I could hold down a dry cracker but didn't push it as I was sick on day two after to eating a dry cracker. For the next week I got lots of sleep -about 18 to 20 hours and slowly felt better - above 95% and though I could sleep in my bed I needed to elevate my head.

Its now 1 Feb and the need to elevate my head to avoid a "woosey" feeling (not full on room spinning) has continued.

I would think food poisoning would have dissipated by now,

I heard of a new bacteria that was initially mistaken for a virus. I wondering if anyone has a guess at what I might have?

No fever (except a cold sweat after vomiting night one).
No respiratory problems

Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
(male)

KRProton HB User
Re: Dizziness and vomiting

I had the exact same symptoms as you and now consider myself somewhat of a "veteran" with this situation. After experiencing severe dizziness and vomiting (mostly dry heaves as there was nothing to vomit after the first time), the next afternoon my wife came home from work and I managed to crawl down the stairs and into the car so she could drive me to the ER. They gave me some medications so I could cope with the nausea and dizziness, then was diagnosed with an inner ear infection caused by a virus. Well, it's now been about five weeks since then and I'm getting steroid injections in my ear to try to restore at least SOME of my hearing (my right hear is virtually deaf, but I am getting some hearing back). My equilibrium is also returning, but I'm still at about 90%. I play ice hockey in a league and am able to play now, but not as well as usual. I should get back to 100%, but I don't know when. Speculation is that I will get some of my hearing back, but not all.

I'm surprised you didn't have to go the ER and made it all on your own. The diagnosis for me was inner ear infection. It causes inflammation around the nerves and inner ear organs that throws off your balance and hearing.

You should get your self to an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) doctor soon.

Last edited by KRProton; 02-13-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
(male)

aquarian123 HB User
Re: Dizziness and vomiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I'm surprised you didn't have to go the ER and made it all on your own. The diagnosis for me was inner ear infection. It causes inflammation around the nerves and inner ear organs that throws off your balance and hearing.
Thanks KRProton,

Well after much investigation on the internet I concluded it was an inner ear infection (the heat had been off in my apartment for 3 days it was freezing and I had just cut my hair very short.)

I went to the clinic went I was well enough, and the doctor refused to give my antibiotics - idiot!.

Then I did more research on the net and found out that most are viral some are bacterial. Armed with more knowledge from the net, i went to a different doctor and was able after much pleading to get the antibiotics. The symptoms cleared up by day 3 and I completed the full 10 days (It is very imp to complete the full ten days so you don't strengthen the bacteria's resistance to antibiotics!)

As you say it is more likely a viral caused inner ear infection but in my case it was bacterial. The differences are:
1. bacterial is localized whereas viral you will get other body general symptoms (such as runny nose, aches, fever etc.)
2. Viral will go away in 3weeks or so, bacterial will it will go on for months and you can get permanent ear damage if you don't get antibiotics.

I am completely cured now and back to my old robust self.
(Hopefully it will be another 15 years before I have to go see those clowns to get antibiotics.

They can't tell viral from bacterial so you may want to get a course (10 supply) of antibiotics if all your symptoms don't clear up.

All the best!!

Closed Thread