It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
(female)

animalsroc4evr HB User
Trouble With Epley Maneuver

New here so I hope this is in the right place....

I went to my Primary Doctor Friday because I was extremely "Dizzy",nauseous, and I threw up. He kind of did the Epley Maneuver (only turning my head 45 degrees and making me lay down over a pillow, doing this for both sides) and determined it to be Vertigo (room spined out of control when he did my right ear) He told me to look up the Epley Maneuver (which he showed me on the computer) and do it, then wait 2 hours, then do it again, wait 2 hours, etc.

Anyways I did it once, not too bad. But the second time I did it the spinning went out of control and it freaked me out so bad I sat straight up, my heart going a million miles an hour (not really but you know what I mean). Now I'm afraid to do it again. is there anything else I can do? I want to get rid of this asap, hate feeling dizzy... is there another exercise I can do?? or should I just suck it up and get through it? My dizziness has been better today, but I haven't really laid flat down since yesterday (slept sitting up last night and slept so soundly ). Laying flat is the only time it happens.

Any suggestions, or even encouragement to try the Epley Maneuver again, would be most helpful and appreciated

thanks Gretchen

Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
(female)

animalsroc4evr HB User
Re: Trouble With Epley Maneuver

My vertigo seems to be gone this morning, so I'll wait and see... If it comes back I'll try to suck it up and do the Epley Maneuver again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...I have BPPV and have used the Epley maneuver as soon as I have the feeling of even being "off". It's great it's worked for you...and yes..if you do have the vertigo return, do it again!

It's important to determine what side is affected, which in your case is your right ear. Turn your head to the right. lay back so that your head is over the edge of the bed. Wait for the vertigo to happen and let it finish (it will). Lay in that spot for another 30 seconds (do not move your head at all).

Then without lifting your head, turn it to the left at 45 degrees...lay there for at least a minute and if you do get vertigo, don't move..let it stop, lay for another 30 seconds or so and then turn yourself to the left so that your head is looking at the floor.

Again...same procedure of allowing the vertigo to fatigue itself. etc.

without turning your head, sit up....stay in that position for at least a minute or if you do have vertigo...let it finish, etc.

I have found Sudafed helpful in easing some of the off feelings.

I've had BPPV in my right ear since 1966 when I was 11. In 2000, my left ear was affected and I had it in both at the same time....24/7 for almost 3 years.

I did find out that i had a sinus infection as well...it seems that having that cleared up helped the BPPV.

When I'm in bed and I get that feeling of being dizzy when laying on (whatever) an affected side, I just flip over to the other side and lay there for the rest of the night....it seems to help. Sometimes it's gone the next morning.

You'll eventually get how to treat it yourself.....I hope this isn't something you'll have often.

quincy

Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
(female)

dlhamilton1966 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...I have BPPV and have used the Epley maneuver as soon as I have the feeling of even being "off". It's great it's worked for you...and yes..if you do have the vertigo return, do it again!

It's important to determine what side is affected, which in your case is your right ear. Turn your head to the right. lay back so that your head is over the edge of the bed. Wait for the vertigo to happen and let it finish (it will). Lay in that spot for another 30 seconds (do not move your head at all).

Then without lifting your head, turn it to the left at 45 degrees...lay there for at least a minute and if you do get vertigo, don't move..let it stop, lay for another 30 seconds or so and then turn yourself to the left so that your head is looking at the floor.

Again...same procedure of allowing the vertigo to fatigue itself. etc.

without turning your head, sit up....stay in that position for at least a minute or if you do have vertigo...let it finish, etc.

I have found Sudafed helpful in easing some of the off feelings.

I've had BPPV in my right ear since 1966 when I was 11. In 2000, my left ear was affected and I had it in both at the same time....24/7 for almost 3 years.

I did find out that i had a sinus infection as well...it seems that having that cleared up helped the BPPV.

When I'm in bed and I get that feeling of being dizzy when laying on (whatever) an affected side, I just flip over to the other side and lay there for the rest of the night....it seems to help. Sometimes it's gone the next morning.

You'll eventually get how to treat it yourself.....I hope this isn't something you'll have often.

quincy
I have the same feeling when I lie flat down, my ear hurts alot and dizzy is not the word for it, imbalance, rocking motion, this is all an inner ear virus, the epley is wuick but I hate that spinning sensation,,, it is scary, I had the ENG done and that is worse... but the epley does work and I hope you feel better soon. I have had the dizsziness for 5 months now and I pray alot.

Closed Thread