It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2002, 10:50 AM   #1
Inactive

Sara Petsch HB User
Hope for those with dizziness, spaciness, drunk "out of it" feeling

Hi,
I wanted to post this in the hopes of helping people. One year ago, I read this board all the time desparately looking for help with my dizziness, spaciness, "unreal", "in a dream", drunk, whatever words you want to use, symptoms. After tons and tons of internet research and countless doctors and tests, being told I should take anti-anxiety drugs, which I tried, and they were useless of course, and I tried all the usual anti-dizzy drugs. Finally I went to Mayo Clinic and they told me I had Post Viral syndrome, which is like chronic fatigue syndrome, and oh by the way, there is no cure so have a nice life. Well I didn't give up, and I finally stumbled onto a thing called "systemic candida". Turns out I have had a fungal infection since I was a teenager, (now I'm 34), which has infected my ears, sinuses, throat, lungs, bladder, and more.Aggressively treating this condition has saved my life. I'm not quite there yet, but I am SOOOOO much better than I use to be. One of the hallmarks of this disease is the "drunk" or "unreal" feeling that is so hard to describe--this is caused both by fungus in the ear, and also by the fungal by products of alcohal, ammonia, formaldehyde and more which are being released into your bloodstream. I no longer have any ear or sinus congestion, which I have had most of my life, and the dizzy, drunk feeling is slowy going away. I'm sure that this is not the answer for all of you, but it sure was for me. It's worth checking out. Regular MD's, by the way, DO NOT accept this syndrome. Most ENT's will tell you it's impossible to have this kind of fungal ear infection. I also have many other symptoms besides the dizzyness, and these other symptoms helped me to make sure this was what I had.

The best thing to do though, to learn about it, is to just do a search on "candida" on a search engine. There are many good sites out there. I believe that being dizzy, spaced out, can't concentrate, feeling off balance are some of the cruelest symptoms our body can put us through. If you have been there you know what I mean. See if this might apply to you, ESPECIALLY if you have taken alot of anti-biotics, steroids and birth control pills. These drugs are usaully what sets off a fungal overgrowth, because they change the delicate balance of good bacteria and fungus in your body. I hope I have helped some folks, take care, SARA<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 03-13-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Inactive

nate930 HB User
Re: Hope for those with dizziness, spaciness, drunk "out of it" feeling

Hi Sara!

Thanks for the great information. A few of us on the site have been talking candida, but after reading your post, I'm feeling much stronger about starting a treatment. How did you get treated?? I found a site that talks about SF-722, it's supposed to treat candida in a month, with the right diet also. Have you heard of it? It's not a prescription drug and alot of doctors haven't heard of it, but it has amazing results. Also, would you mind sharing more of your symptoms. Did you deal with any type of depression, anxiety, irritability?

Congratulations on getting better. I hope you beat this thing very soon. Thanks again!!

nate

Old 03-02-2002, 12:30 PM   #3
Inactive

Sara Petsch HB User

Hi Nate,
This is SUCH a complicated condition, because there are so many symptoms and so many theories of how to treat it, and different things work for different people. But after much research and trial and error, I have found that a strict anti-candida diet, (no sugar, low carbs, eat mostly meat and veggies) and taking the prescription drug Diflucan every day, and while taking that I rotate several "natural" anti-fungals, including the sf772 like you mentioned, this is what is working for me. However you will find if you research this very far that there is lots of conflicting information out there about what works. That why it pretty much has to be be trial and error at first, and even that is confusing becuase when you start to treat it you get worse, which is a GOOD sign because it means the fungus is dying and releasing more toxins. I think it really is too complicated to get TOO far into it here, because I don't want to reinvent the wheel when there are excellent discussion forums already. And yes, I definately experiences anxiety type symptoms from it, most of my symptoms were central nervous symptoms abnormalities similar to MS, and ear and sinus problems, but I also had it in my bladder, which made doctors prescribe even more anti-biotics which made it even worse!! But I literally had like 15 symptoms at once during certain periods of this. Hope this helps--take care, Sara

Old 03-02-2002, 02:25 PM   #4

StephenM HB User

Sara, are you still on a restricted diet? If so, do you think you'll have to maintain that for life?

Old 03-02-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
Inactive

Sara Petsch HB User

Yes, I am still on a very restricted diet. As to how long I will be, I will wait until I am TOTALLY better, and then slowly re-introduce foods and see how I feel. But you know, it IS actually a healthey diet, and if I DID have to eat this way for the rest of my life, it would be so, so worth it to have my life back. I am so excited to be feeling better, I would eat nothing but broccoli for the rest of my life if it meant feeling better! Some people can go back to eating like they used to, and others can't entirely. It depends on how long you have had it, etc.

Old 03-03-2002, 02:56 PM   #6

kristopher HB User

good subject and information sara... I also have been working from a candida perspective, and my symptoms have improved drastically. You are right about the initial "die off", feeling worse before you get better. That part was not easy. I have not found a doctor in my area who will work with me on this so I took it upon myself to solve my own problem. I also use antifungals like caprylic acid and pau'd arco with probiotics. I wish I could use Diflucan because I'm sure it would speed up the process.
Sarah, what kind of "die-off" symptoms did you have? Mine are pretty rough...things like depression, lack of concentration, and a major feeling of fulness in my sinuses. Anyway, thanks for your information.

Kris

Old 03-04-2002, 11:47 AM   #7
Inactive

Sara Petsch HB User

Die off is usually a worsening of whatever symptoms you already have, including depression, plus flu-like symptoms, hives, allergies. If you want to learn more about die off, go to the healthyawareness.com message board and do an archive search on "die off". You'll see the wide variety of symptoms people can have with die off. For me, die off was not just a week and that's it, I continue to get waves of it as long as there is still fungus to kill in my body. Hope that helps, take care, Sara

Old 03-04-2002, 01:48 PM   #8
Inactive

Wowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB User

Very informative chat going on in here!

Sara, I am curious to know what your neurological symptomatology was/is. I experience similiar MS-type symptoms/sensations along with my spaciness/wooziness that are unexplained.

Thank you.

Old 03-04-2002, 02:19 PM   #9

StephenM HB User

I'm curious to know what your brain fog has been like. Everyone who talks about brain fog seems to have sluggish thought processes -- but my brain fog seems different. Mine seems like just a fog in my head -- I still think clearly and I don't forget words. Also, my fog seems to dissipate somewhat (sometimes a great deal, though never 100%) if I've exercised (usually a long, brisk walk). I'm asking because I'm wondering if my symptoms have a different cause (adrenal? thyroid?).

Old 03-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #10

kristopher HB User

hey stephen..just to kind of describe my brain fog, i generally feel like I can't think clearly and i feel like I need to go back to grade school(this is when it gets really bad). I have trouble finding words in conversation and I forget a lot. I primarily notice forgetting many peoples names. What does your brain fog feel like exactly? What has your doctor told you and how have you tried to counteract it? Many people simply react differently with different symptoms. For instance, my fiance was diagnosed and tested around 7 years ago for candida, and she never gets brain fog, where I know that many people with candida have reported brain fog as a major symptom. Anyway, have a good day and let's keep this thread going.

kris

Old 03-04-2002, 05:06 PM   #11
Inactive

nate930 HB User

Hi Sara,

Just a quick question...were you on birth control pills? If so, did you go off of them during your treatment?? Also, how did you find sf722? I only see it online, I'm hoping to get it in a local store. I'm also starting on Nystatin.

Thanks a ton!!!

nate

Old 03-04-2002, 07:17 PM   #12
Inactive

Sara Petsch HB User

Hi folks,
I'm happy to answer your questions, So I hope you all understand this--I just really want to help as many people as possible with the time I have. But, to answer your questions, I was on birth control pills for nine years, and I'm convinces that is partly what pushed me over the edge into ill health. Your immune system can fight yeast and fungus for awhile, but if you keep taking anti-biotics and birth control pills, eventually there will be an imbalance. So, no, there is no way I would ever take them again. I would only take antibiotics again if my life depended on it! And, to Wowweeee, I happened to have read your other posts where you described in detail your symptoms, and my heart went out to you because for the most part I know exactly what you are going through. I gave up trying to explain my symptoms in detail long ago, because it was too exhausting and no one, not even doctors, took me seriously anyway. But in a nutshell, I feel (or felt) like I'm moving when I'm not, my arms and legs and body in general doesn't do what I think it's going to do, like trouble using a cash register, trouble with depth perception, run into things, a "swaying" feeling all the time, trouble focusing eyes, bad brain fog, and also nerve pain in my hands, tingling and numbness in my extremities, sometimes painful uncomfortable tingling and pins and needles. Like the feeling you get when someone runs their fingers down a chalkboard, but multiply that 100 times and make it 24 hours a day. I'm sure if i thought about it I could come up with more of the neurological type stuff, but basically I felt like a stumbling drunk with nerve pain. And, lets see.....I get my sf722 from my naturopath, but I rotate it with five other "natural" antifungals, because fungus can become resistent to using just one. If I could give you guys some advice, it would be not to focus your energies on describing every symptom and trying to find someone who matches your symtoms exactly, but instead focus on finding someone or something that will help you get well. If the doctors you are seeing now are not helping you, keep looking until you find something that will help you. This stuff can screw up your body in all kinds of crazy, awful, hard to describe ways and it is a little different in every person. take care and be well! Sara<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 03-13-2002).]

Old 03-04-2002, 10:21 PM   #13

StephenM HB User

Thanks for your patience, Sara. I asked about symptoms because mine seem peculiar -- they're like what a lot of you have, but they're very different in many ways. As I said above, I have brain fog but it's just fog, not lack of clarity -- my head usually feels the way it does when I've finished about 2/3rds of a beer (or the way it used to -- I've stopped drinking for now), and sometimes it feels as if there's a damp cloud in my skull, surrounding my brain, but I've never had the confusion and I've never had the odd physical sensations -- I've never felt that I was moving when I was motionless, which is a symptom a lot of people seem to report here. It makes me wonder whether I have something different from what the rest of you have.<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 03-13-2002).]

Old 03-04-2002, 10:46 PM   #14
Inactive

Sara Petsch HB User

Stephen,
I just had to write back in response to you, because I wanted to point something out. That is, that feeling like you have been drinking, like you really truly have had a beer, there aren't any other diseases, besides Candida, that I know of that have that as a symptom. I think it can get MUCH WORSE than just that feeling, and candida seems to be able to screw up just about every body function, so maybe you have just the beginnings of it. But really, there aren't too many diseases out there where people feel like they have had alcohal. Having alot of yeast and fungus in your body basically means you have your own little brewery, and it is brewing up all kinds of toxins, not just alcohol, but alcohol is part it. Just my two cents--Sara

Old 03-05-2002, 07:48 AM   #15

Bobbilee HB User

What a great thread~~~thanks to Sara!! I'm on the same bandwagon with her and can't say enough on the importance of finding someone who understands the wide range of diseases fungi can mimic. The study of fungal pathogens (mold, mildew and fungus) is something "most" American doctors are not taught in med school, so finding a doctor who knows, may be a bit hard. However, 5 doctors from Duke University have written a book about antifungals...."at last?" If any of you get The Family Net Channel......check out, "Your Heatlth with Doug Kaufmann". He teaches on fungus daily~~~and is quite knowledgable. His book called, "The Fungal Link" has taught me so much.

A diet of no sugars, breads, pastas or anything with yeast may sound hard, but if you really want to rid your body of these toxins, it's the only way to go, along with some antifungals. Sara has mentioned some good ones. I too take Nystatin and Olive Leaf Extract and alternate with Dyflucan and others. Caprylic Acid is another good one that was mentioned. It's the best thing I've ever done for "me". I'm 66 yrs young and have had Meniere's and BPPV for over 40 years, so I'm not new to this. The enlightenment of fungus has given me hope, but I know it's not going to be a quick fix. It will take time.

Hope this helps to reinforce what Sara has posted. Anyone can get probiotics and that's a start...along with your diet change. Make it a way of life, it's YOUR life. Take charge. BTW Sara, Thanks much

I feel we're on to something here and it's the first time in my 40 years that I've felt this positive about a cure. It may take years, but we must start somewhere.

Be blessed and be balanced,

Bobbi from Kentucky PS.....I'm in that brain fog, so hope I made sense here. <p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 03-13-2002).]

Closed Thread