It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2001, 03:17 PM   #1
Unregistered

Muscle spasms in ear

Seven months ago, I suffered a severe traumma to my left ear. I have been living in a walking torture cell ever since. First, it appeared that I suffered from a perforated ear drum and swollen auditory canal. When the extreme discomfort and popping did not go away after six weeks, it was found that I have eustachian tube dysfunction. For months, I complained about the intermittant popping, twitching and thumping inside my ear. These symptoms are so unbearable that I have lost a great job and moved back with my family. This condition is destroying my life. At the momment I am simply keeping my body alive for IF I recover. Recently, I had a very severe episode of twitching and thumping in my ear. I saw my ENT. Finally, he believes that it is not just eustachian tube dysfunction, but palatal myoclonus and/or myoclonus of the tensor tympani muscles. I am now taking up to three 2 mg pills of rivotril/clonazepam a day as needed to help stop the muscle twitching. There are more direct options like paralyzing the offending muscle with botox and severing the middle ear muscle. Is there anybody out there who has had this problem? I would like to believe that there is an end to all this and I can resume my life.

Old 07-26-2001, 08:24 PM   #2

iceprincess777 HB User
Re: Muscle spasms in ear

Hi Nathan,
I had the thumping in my ear too. It drove me nuts! They (several doctors) told me it could be all kinds of terrible things. Then finally I mentioned it to my new primary care physician and he said that it is just the sound of my heartbeat. He said sometimes under much stress it can be heard through the eardrum. And the more I stressed about it, the more I heard it! It was a viscious cycle!
I decided to start taking Yoga to relieve the stress. I also learned deep breathing exercises from a yoga book.
Not only did this stop the thumping in my ear, but it also stopped my TMJ (jaw pain) symptoms.
I don't know if it will be the same thing for you. But it's worth a try. Next time it happens, try and relieve the stress. Take a hot bath, take some deep breathes, have a beer. Anything to calm you down.
Good luck, take care, Iceprincess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2001, 08:43 PM   #3

iceprincess777 HB User

Me again,
Just wanted to post this article about ear thumping that I found on Dr. Dean Edell's web page:Waking Up: Thumping Sound?

January 25, 1999
Question from Ava: When I wake up, my ears are ringing and I get headaches. I also hear a thumping sound - am I going nuts?

Dr. Dean: I think I know what's happening. What's your age?

Ava: I'm 34.

Dr. Dean: From what you've described, you're hearing your own heartbeat. This is normal, depending on how your head is resting. The ringing is also common.

Ava:: What about the headaches?

Dr. Dean: They'd be unrelated to what I've discussed and could be caused by a variety of things.

Here is the link if you want to check it out yourself.
<A HREF="http://www.healthcentral.com/centers/onecenterdean.cfm?center=Hearing" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthcentral.com/centers/onecenterdean.cfm?center=Hearing</A>

Take care, iceprincess

Old 08-01-2001, 04:38 AM   #4
Inactive

AlabamaWhirlyUK HB User

I on the other actually know what your talking about because when your inner ear twitches it doesn't sound or feel like a heart beat it feels like distortion plus you can feel the muscles contracting and when muscles flinch it isnt regular or steady its rapid and fluctuating is this how it feels for you?
If so take your finger and press right at the bottom of your earlobe just behind the large flap at the bottom does it hurt like hell to push with anymore than a gentle pressure?
After damage like youve indured your muscles can lock in your neck i used to get back involentary spasms in my left ear untill posture excersises and went for a few massages to unwind the knots!
Just a suggestion but i hope it helps

Old 01-25-2002, 09:22 PM   #5

pellbeach HB User

I also have the fluttering sound of my eardrum or whatever it is and my ears are very sensitive to noise. Its driving me crazy, especially at night. Im sensitive to just having my hand near my ear. The sound of water dripping causes the fluttering to start. I really need someone to talk to.

Old 02-01-2002, 02:34 PM   #6

dolphinsfan HB User

I have the same thing a thumping in the ear it used to only be my right ear now my left once in a while and it does sound ryhthmic. I have had a problem for a few months now with muscle pain and twitiching and numbness and this is yet one of the many new symptoms that seem to popping up weekly I have searched the internet and really cannot find a thing on 'ear thumping'. I do have TMJ disorder and the nurse at the tmj clinic says it usually has something to do with swelling so I am wondering okay what is swollen in my head. Not real comforting thoughts. But I have had normal mri and ct. It's strange that it would be my heart beat in my ear especially since it seems to be related to all the other muscle twitching I have. Well please let me know if any one else has found out more info on this subject. Thanks!

Closed Thread