It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2002, 08:37 PM   #1

Nanaki HB User
Popping Noise in Ears

I've had this problem for approximately four years now (possibly longer.) A popping noise in my ears, that usually sounds when I swallow or yawn. I can force the noise by tensing a muscle in my ears.
The problem seems to be direclty related to my sinuses. When I get a cold, the popping noise seems to become more of a problem. When people talk to me and when I talk to them the sounds is distorted in a way I can't describe. When I force the popping noise while I have acold, it's usually louder and longer. Also, I believe the problem started when I got a cold.
Actually, when I went to the doctor with a cold (my throat was sore and I wanted to make sure it wasn't strep), she said that sometimes when people get a cold tubes the connect the nose and the ears become separated.
Later, as I was there fore a checkup, I told her about the noise again. The doctor prescribed some kind of medicine for the problem, but it didn't do a thing. I told her again, about a year later, and she said that anyone could cause their ears to pop by forcing air down their windpipe. She kind of disregarded it.
From the research I've done on the internet this is supposedly some kind of problem with the eustachian tubes. I want to know how to fix it.

Old 04-21-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
(male)

D@N HB User
Re: Popping Noise in Ears

I can certainly sympathize with your problem. I have had ear problems since I was 9.
The popping you refer to is in the tubes and usually occurs during changes in barometric pressure and also when you have allergies. Sneezing will bring it on, as well as yawning.
Having this problem also coinsided with ringing in the ears. When I first discovered that, at 9 years old, it scared the hell out of me. I thought I was going mad.
Today at 34 years old, I have learned by muscle contraction to pop my ears in, when they pop out....and to pop them out....when they pop in. We all know how to pop them out, yawning or blowing your nose too hard. Popping them back in, is possible by doing the oppposite of sneezing. Instead of holding the nose and blowing out, hold the nose and blow in...the equivelant of a "turb sniff". Just put your index finger over both nostils and sniff or suck in with your mouth. Word of caution though, when you are having allergies, and the sniffing pops them back in, and they just pop right back out again...leave it alone. By popping the pressure back into whack too many times, you risk getting an irritated eardrum.
When I get a cold, my ears pop out and when I pop them back in...they just re-pop back out. Hating the sound of my own breathing...I keep fighting it, and after a few hours of it, I get an earache that wont go away until the next morning. So if you yawn or drink liquid and your ears pop out, try the above method. If you have a cold or allergy, or have been sneezing alot, dont fight it.
Hope that helps. Let me know if it works.
D@N

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2002, 03:38 PM   #3

Nanaki HB User

I'm not sure if we have the same problem.
First off the popping never goes away, even when I'm having no allergies/colds and such. I can constantly "pop" my ears, but it's not really popping them in or out, they just make a noise, which like I said is like a pop, or a crack if you want to call it that. When I swallow they never really pop in or out. Blowing my nose pops them out. Yawning usually pops them in, I'd say.
However I'm more concerned about the noise associated with it. Pretty much every time I swallow, yawn, or blow my nose I hear the noise, accompanied with the popping in or out of my ears.

Old 04-22-2002, 11:10 PM   #4
(male)

D@N HB User

The two are definately related, and another condition that can be a culprit most associated with your symptoms is TMJ . There is a topic on this in the forum. Its a condition concerning the alignment of the jaw muscles and can affect the tubes and can make your ears pop more than a fireworks show. Check into it.
Later.
D@N

Old 04-23-2002, 03:28 PM   #5
Unregistered

The distortion of your voice might be a symptom of intermittent patulous eustachian tube dysfunction where the eustachian tube remains abnormally open. I suffer from it. My L/H ear pops open and I hear the very loud sound of my breathing and distortion of my voice. This is driving me insane. I hope you are coping with your condition better than I am.

Old 04-25-2002, 12:18 AM   #6
(male)

D@N HB User

Nathan,
Try my tip above for popping the ears back in. Trust me, I get that with every yawn, sneeze or cough, and just sucking the air back in, while holding your nose will pull those tubes back into place, just heed the warning of doing this too often.
good luck.
D@N

Old 04-25-2002, 07:33 AM   #7
Inactive

Lizzie51427 HB User

Dear D@N,
Hi, I just read that thing about when you have TMJ, your ears pop all the time. I have the opposite problem, my ears won't pop at all...(Esp. the right one). I can even do that "auto-inflation" thing, where you hold your nose closed and try to blow through your nose to make the ears pop. Mine still won't. At first my new ENT said "Eustachian Tube Dysfunction", "Hearing Loss---Conductive" and "Otalgia" and prescribed Prednisone (steroid) tabs to get rid of inflammation that could be keeping them shut closed. Well, it DID take away the pain, but they still won't open, so now he says "TMJ". But, I don't have any jaw pain, or 'clicking', 'popping', etc. of ANY kind--ear or jaw...So, I'm thinking he's wrong...
I've read on here that if antibiotics, decongestants, steroids don't open the tubes, then surgery (ear tubes) are considered. My ENT said, "No, I wouldn't do ear tubes on you because you have no fluid..." But, I'd had it the week before and had to go to the E.R. to finally get diagnosed and treated with an inner ear infection...So, by the time I went to this new ENT, the fluid was gone, but the tubes still wouldn't open. He even shot that big jet of air through my sinuses to open them, but they wouldn't...So, do you think this is TMJ...or do I need more Prednisone?...or Ear tubes? I'm so confused...
Lizzie

Closed Thread