It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
(female)

littlelexi193 HB User
Possible inner ear disorder, constant fullness/popping and tinnitus.

Hey all,

My symptoms: Ear fullness, some tinnitus (pounding), slight dizzyness/vertigo, popping/clicking noises when I chew, swallow, yawn, etc. and occasionally I will go through episodes where my ear will 'pop' and the fullness will appear worse, sounds seem muffled yet almost louder, I can relieve this by laying down and putting slight pressure on that ear.

I have been tested for: SSCD (Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence), Meniere's Disease, Vestibular Migraines, Environmental allergies, B12 defincey, PET (Patulous Eustachian tube), TMJ and tested for any auto-immune disorder (which came back negative, but still a possibility) NOTE: all of these tests have been run with tubes in my ears due to being diagnosed with eustation tube dysfunction which is NOT the case.

Medications i've been on: mutiple allergy medications, clonzepam, a couple medications for vestibular migraines. I wish I could remember all the names. Been way too many.

I've also been to a chiropractor, and had no luck with that. Have also been to an upper cervical chiropractor as my TMJ doctor recommended me try it and it did not help my ears. I have had two MRI's done, one of my head and one of the inner ear searching for SSCD/possible brain tumours. At least two cat scans of my head have also been done in search for allergies. No problems were detected.
I was also put on a heart detector for a month time frame thinking that my heart could be causing the problems, I only had one unusual moment and it lined with a time where I just happened to be a little dizzy.

I have been to a couple places to get my balance checked and everytime it was considered minor vertigo and I was not able to get the epley maneuver done to make sure this was not the root of my issues.

This has been going on for nearly 3 years now, I was 15 when it started, the first symptom I can recall was the episodes where my ear would pop, I never thought much of it seeing as I could just lie down and it would go away for the time being. I finally realized something was seriously wrong when I had gone to my second concert and the music hadn't even started yet and I had an episode and I could not shake it off, I had to call my parents and have them take me home because it was so bad. After that, things seem to have taken a turn for the worse, it's when I noticed the fullness, the clicking/popping in my ears when I chew, swallow or yawn. etc. I don't remember having any tinnitus before this started but over the past 3 years I have had slight tinnitus, nothing too bad, some ringing, mostly pounding. But this past Tuesday, I had pounding in my ears so bad that I literally could not fall asleep because of it, it's been lingering since.

I'm desprate... i've lost whatever hope was left in me this past week and it's killing me and I think i'm seriously hurting my family. If anyone has any idea what I could possibily do or what this could be, please post! I'll take any help I can get. I just want my life back. I want to be me again.

Last edited by littlelexi193; 04-10-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Forgot medications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

Niomit HB User
Re: Possible inner ear disorder, constant fullness/popping and tinnitus.

I don't know how much I can help, but I've been having the same symptoms. What struck me is that you said that "the fullness will appear worse, sounds seem muffled yet almost louder" -- I have this after I do the Valsalva maneuver, and it goes away when my ears pop again (the second time). According to my ENT that is BAD -- when we do that maneuver we want them to just pop once -- it seems like the ear drum(??) goes back into place that second time. This confuses me because then it means I would want to keep the muffled feeling?? I feel like I really need to talk to someone who is an expert on popping the ears so I can compare what happens with my ears as opposed to what is supposed to happen.

But I definitely have the fullness, the popping, the dizziness and ringing. For me though it clearly started after I had taken an airplane flight when recovering from a cold. It sounds like you don't know why it started.

My advice for quick relief (not necessarily a cure):

--look into the EarPopper which does the Politzer maneuver for you
--Valsalva maneuver
--Neti pots which is basically salt water you use to flush out your sinuses through your nose (I haven't tried this yet)

I'm also reading some things about candida, yeast infections which can cause problems in your ears.

There are many doctors however that dismiss candida and suggest it is a hoax, so I don't know what to think. But the techniques there seem like they might help -- ear insufflation?

Last edited by moderator2; 04-11-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

It sounds like its related to the middle ear or TMJ.

Do changes in the outside air pressure make you feel worse? (Airplanes, driving in the mountains, etc....).

If so, I would consider would be the possibility of Perilymph Fistula. It is a rare condition, but since many of the common problems have been excluded, it would be worth considering this.

I will quote Dr. Timmothy Hain as he describes the symptoms of perilymph fistula. "The symptoms of perilymph fistula may include dizziness, vertigo, imbalance, nausea, and vomiting. Usually however, patients report an unsteadiness which increases with activity and which is relieved by rest. Some people experience ringing or fullness in the ears, and many notice a hearing loss. Some people with fistulas find that their symptoms get worse with coughing, sneezing, or blowing their noses, as well as with exertion and activity. The changes in air pressure that occur in the middle ear (for example, when your ears "pop" in an airplane) normally do not affect the inner ear. When a fistula is present, changes in middle ear pressure will directly affect the inner ear, stimulating the balance and/or hearing structures within and causing typical symptoms."

Last edited by bindar; 04-15-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
(male)

montrealguy HB User

What tests did they do to rule out Patulous Eustachian? Regular hearing and pressure tests are insufficient for diagnosing most cases. It requires special equipment that most hospitals do not have. As well, TMJ is VERY common with patulous eustachian tube patients.

It sounds like you need to see Dr. Poe in Boston. He's the one expert who can diagnose and treat you.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
(female)

57 YOU HB User

The Trigeminal nerve runs thru your jaw area start researching there and also look to see what type of ear disorders you can come up with. I know there is one where crystals build up in your inner ear and cause all sorts of problems. Too much tylenol can cause tinnitus too. Doctors done know everything and have a tendency if they arent sure to treat what might be wrong. The more information you have yourself the better you can rule out things along with a MD who will listen to you.

Closed Thread