It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

gunner0511 HB User
Vestibular Neuritis? Meniere's Disease?

I am 33, I have been dealing with an undiagnosed ear condition for over half my life now. It is just something that I deal with, to the point where on a normal day, I don't even think about the constant (24/7 always there, never goes away) ringing in my ear or my hearing loss.

My first incident when I was 16, I don't remember having a cold or being sick or anything and had NEVER had an ear infection before. All of a sudden I felt some popping in my ear, got super dizzy and started throwing up. I was down and out for a couple weeks before I could function again. Ever since that moment, I've had the tinnitus and hearing loss. Of course I had some tests and was diagnosed (very unsurely) of Meniere's Disease, but was told I would only ever know if that's it, if it happens again. Over the ears, I've had an EEG, CT Scan, and MRI, nothing was found.

So nothing happened for many years, until I was about 28 or 29, I started having some vertigo spells and ear pain. It was happening every 6 months or so. I went to the ENT (again) and wasn't really told much, but was given some meclizine that I take if I feel something coming on.

I can deal with all of this, I have for years now, BUT now last night, I started having something weird going on with my good ear and am freaked out that I will lose hearing in both ears...then what will I do?! Anyway, in my "good" ear I started getting popping and then a draining feeling when I was trying to sleep. But I couldn't actually feel anything coming out of my ear, but it felt like there should have been. It was like popcorn popping in my ear, then a draining feeling and then more popcorn popping. It went on for at least a couple hours, before i finally fell asleep.

Any thoughts? Just thought I would pick some brains...ENT's I have visited over the year have been NO help. I think I stump them and I am so used to dealing with it that I don't really push it. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Vestibular Neuritis? Meniere's Disease?

It depends on the duration of the vertigo. If it lasts under a day, then its likely Meneires. If you experience continuous vertigo for a longer period of time, its probably VN or Labyringthitis.

It sounds like the recent sensations in your ear were caused by the middle ear, not the inner ear. Thus it would not be linked to either Meneires or VN. It could be fluid or mucous draining from the middle ear through the Eustachian tube. Personally, I wouldnt be concerned. But if it continues, I would see your doctor.

Note: I am not a doctor, but I do have limited knowledge with ear disorders.

Last edited by bindar; 05-14-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

gunner0511 HB User

When I have an "episode" the vertigo always lasts less than a day...usually a matter of hours with a recovery time afterwards, where I don't really feel dizzy anymore, but I don't feel quite right and I just need to sleep. I know it is most likely Meniere's which is what I've always thought and what is most doctor's think to, but have never had anyway say it flat out.

I think the most recent weird noises in my good ear are unrelated. It hasn't happened again, so I hope it was just a fluke. I just get paranoid, with any happenings in my ears now, because for all intensive purposes I'm down to one! I have a 6.5 mos old baby now, and I have yet to have an episode since I've had him. I am scared about having an episode and being home alone. I keep meclizine and dramamine on hand everywhere I go though, hoping I can curb it, if I feel an attack coming on.

Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

One thing I meant to mention in my previous post: If the episodes are recurrent, then VN/Labyrinthitis is highly unlikely because recurrent cases of VN are quite rare.

I dont blame you for feeling a little paranoid, I would be too. Congratulations on the fairly recent newborn baby. I hope you will stay vertigo free!

Closed Thread