It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

frustrated2011 HB User
If you've had ear tubes put in, read this!

Hi everyone,

I had ear tubes put in a few days ago and i am experiencing a few symptoms that are driving me crazy. Right after surgery I could hear this "swooshing heartbeat" sound in my left ear, which has been slowly going away over the past few days, but i can still hear it (just very low). While the ear fullness and popping is mostly gone thanks to the tubes, I am experiencing this feeling of hollowness - i can hear myself talk, i feel as thought my left ear is underwater. If i scratch my head I hear it inside my head (as funny as it sounds), if i eat, brush my teeth, etc, i can hear it all inside my head. Burping hurts my ears a lot, but that's understandable. Prior to surgery I felt ear fullness and it seemed as though my ear was blocked, now it doesn't feel blocked but feels weird and like its underwater, causing all this to happen. I don't know what might of brought this on, and more importantly....I don't know if this issue goes away with time?? I really don't know what to do, I am planning to go back to my ENT but I feel hopeless. I am in my early twenties and am having a hard time with this, I don't know how I would live with this for the rest of my life, I am so young and feel that this may affect my life in general (school, work, being in public places).

I know many have experienced the same, and I just want to know what has happened with those who have.

I am really curious and need to talk to someone who is going through this or who has gone through this before. Anything at all is appreciated!

The Following User Says Thank You to frustrated2011 For This Useful Post:
utsava (04-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
(male)

utsava HB User
Re: If you've had ear tubes put in, read this!

Hi, I recently had an ear tube put in my left ear due to persistent fluid in the ear. The procedure was done a week and a half ago. I can certainly hear much better, but have the same symptoms as you post surgery. Pulse in ear, ringing, and a hollowness in my hearing. My hearing test showed that in fact my low end hearing was down, but this I was told is common due to the ear tube. I was basically sent away from my last visit on Friday with "give it time".

I was wondering if you are still experiencing these issues or what came of your situation.

Thanks.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User
Re: If you've had ear tubes put in, read this!

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I have had tubes in both ears since July 2011 (right ear) and September 2011 (left ear). The symptoms and weird hearing distortions you describe I did have, and they did go away. The painful burp went away. The heartbeat also went away. Just wanted to reassure you, because I was seriously regretting the surgery at one point. And it is hard to find accounts of adults who have had tubes put in (except for adults who had trouble with them and come online to ask questions). I have had my hearing checked, and it's basically the same as before the surgery. So...hard as it is, give it time and be reassured that you should be feeling back to normal soon.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
(male)

showtime4904 HB User
Wink Re: If you've had ear tubes put in, read this!

HI..I had the tube my left ear on Apr.24 and my ears felt full and the popping,sound you get on airplanes..I know its early hang in there we all going through recovery and it takes time. I was off balance for 15 yrs and doctors had to answers until 2012 I found a doctor.

Matter of fact "packing in the ear" came out may 14 felt it moving forward as days went on, no pain my entire surgery. Just popping and off balance got worse for a week after surgery.

showtime4904

Last edited by showtime4904; 05-15-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Closed Thread