It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

sukanya HB Usersukanya HB User
MAV or Meniere's or what?...

I've been on this board for about 6 months.
My backstory: I got vestibular neuritis last November.. It turned into BPPV earlier this year, I started VRT in April and by May ,my symptoms were all in check.

About 10 days ago I suddenly started feeling randomly dizzy. It was a Friday night and I decided to sleep it off. Woke up the next day feeling okay. The following week (last Monday), I started a new job. I've been unemployed for a year and a half, so it's been a big adjustment starting a new job. I stare at the computer all day, and last Tuesday I started getting really lightheaded/spacey at work... It's this "drunk" feeling that I always used to feel before. I came home that night and did an Epley, sure enough there was spinning when my head was back and to the left. The following days were rough, I Was very tired and by the time, nighttime came, I was so lightheaded, all I could do was lay down. On Friday night, I did an Epley and to my surprise... no spinning. On saturday, I spent the day in NYC, and by the time we got home that night I was so lightheaded, I needed help going up the stairs. I did the Epley Saturday and Sunday and once again, no spinning.

Another thing I should mention is that I've found over the past few months that when it's around "that time of the month", I feel very lightheaded and anxious and nauseous.. It always starts happening a few days before my period. This month, because of work, I don't have the luxury to just lay down and relax.. so I thought that played into it.

I should also mention that my ENT is a pompous youknowwhat. However, he's my only choice because he's a family friend and I have NO health insurance right now, so he's nice enough to see me for free. Today I saw him in regards to these new issues I am having. While he didn't outrightly say "You have meniere's disease" he mentioned it several times, and gave me a diuretic to take for 3 months.

I've never had true spinning vertigo (except during the epley maneuver), just a lightheaded/drunk kind of feeling. I also have NO hearing loss or fullness in the ears... so I am not sure why he gave me the diuretic. I do have tinnitus, but it's something that comes & goes ever since I had vestibular neuritis.

As someone who over-thinks everything, I am petrified. My #1 fear from the start was that I would eventually get Meniere's.. and now here I am given a medication that controls it. Though he did not say I have it just yet, he did mention that the age of onset is near your 30's.

I completely forgot in my appointment to mention Migraine Associated Vertigo (MAV) to him... as I do get migraines (food allergy, and sometimes period/weather related. But rarely ever with dizziness). But I forgot to say it, and I was also kind of afraid, because he's the type of doctor who doesn't like when his patients self-diagnose themselves. I really wish I could go see someone else for a second opinion... Except I don't have health insurance right now, and could not afford the out-of-pocket expense... Dr. Pompous is my only option.

I know that no one on these boards are a doctor, but for those with Meniere's, how did the doctor come up with your diagnosis? Do those with MAV have similar symptoms? Any females out there whose symptoms get worse with their periods?

I haven't felt this alone & scared since my diagnosis with vestibular neuritis. I know how much anxiety and fear play into dizziness, so I think that talking with people will give me more piece of mind.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: MAV or Meniere's or what?...

I dont think your symptoms merit a Meneires diagnosis because you dont have all the symptoms. Meneires causes true vertigo, not lightheadedness, and not positional vertigo like you experience.

MAV usually surfaces around that time of the month for women. MAV can describe all of the symptoms you experience, even the positional vertigo. This diagnosis is greatly strengthened with your history of migraine headache.

You dont need to be petrified that you will eventually get Meneires, its very rare (2/1000 people). MAV is MUCH more common, and it describes your symptoms perfectly.

Here is a good plan of action to get you started. I would start the migraine diet and lifestyle, and strictly adhere to this for 1 month. If this does not eliminate your symptoms, then I would find some online medical journal articles on MAV and take them into your doctor and ask for prophylactic medication.

Last edited by bindar; 07-18-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
(female)

Puddinsnana2007 HB User
Re: MAV or Meniere's or what?...

Sukanya, I was diagnosed with Vestibular Migraines 3 years ago. I think mine are definately hormone related too. I am 56 and don't have periods but they come in monthy cycles just like a menstrual period. Mine are mostly symptoms of motion sickness, clumsiness, difficulty speaking due to mixed up thinking process, and very sensative to loud sudden noises. I just posted about my very simple medication therapy that you can read under Puddinsnana2007 posts. Good luck to you! Rachel

Closed Thread