It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

devons HB User
Feeling Surreal

Hi. I'm new to this site. I am hoping someone will recognize my symptoms and perhaps share insight. I am a 42 year old female. Overall great health. Non-smoker for almost 1.5 years. Rarely drink. My first "attack" happened a little over 2 months ago. At first it was once a week or so, now it's happening daily. Quite honesty, I had been a marijuana smoker since high school, but quit 10 days prior to my first attack. It may or may not be related. I don't know??? Anyway, it's a feeling of lightheadedness that typically occurs at lunch time/while eating/daytime. One minute everything is normal, the next everything feels surreal. To be more specific, if anyone has ever had a surgery, it is the exact feeling of when you are coming out of the anesthesia. People are talking to you, trying to wake you up. You're there, but again, surreal. This is not dizziness. I have had a brain MRI, which was normal. However, it did show a genetic mild mucosal sinus disease. My primary is having me see a ENT doctor next week, however to me this feels brain related. Almost like a short-circuiting. I have also had a CT scan which was normal. All blood tests normal. I have been to a doctor that put me on a machine to align my inner ear crystals. I have recently started using a neti-pot. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for your time - Devon

Last edited by devons; 07-27-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Feeling Surreal

Do you every feel faint?

Have you considered an allergy?

Have you ever had headaches in your life?

The Following User Says Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
devons (07-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

devons HB User

thanks bindar for your concerning interest. i do feel like i may faint, but never have. i have considered an allergy, however it would be the first one i've ever had in my life. as for headaches, rarely. up until now, it has been a feeling of lightheadedness, but this morning [and starting in the morning is a new thing] there was a touch of dizziness. thinking it may have something to do with the skim milk in my coffee [allergy?] i did not drink any more. new information...last year my ENT dr perscribed me amoxicillian for a lumpy thing in my neck. it did disappear, at least i never paid attention to it after that. however, feeling around my throat today there does seem to be another lumpy mass thing. other new info...6 or so years ago i did have a spindle cell neoplasm attached to my right temple. thought it was a spider bite or something, but it grew to the size of a golf ball. through surgery the encapsulated, non-malignant cancer mass was removed. so, i am prone to head and neck cancer. hoping this situation is not related. hoping it is an allergy of some kind. i apologize for going on about this, but hopefully the more information that is provided maybe you or someone else out there can relate. btw, i do have an appointment with my ENT on monday.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
(female)

devons HB User

hi bindar - thanks for your concerning interest. my response earlier seems to have not properly posted :[ i am not prone to allergies, have never fainted [but felt like i was going to] and rarely have headaches. i do have an appointment with an ENT on monday, but in the meantime, do you know if/how a mass underneath the skin on my neck may be related to the lightheadedness i am experiencing? it is on the left side, about an inch below the jaw line. the lightheadedness episodes started in may, are getting progressively worse and more frequent. today i am starting to feel a bit dizzy. vertigo is ruled out, as i have had that before and this is not the same. any input you have is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Is the mass in the skin, or under the skin?

I asked about fainting to rule out a heart condition. It sounds like this is not the type of lightheadedness you experience.

Now about your the headaches you have experienced. Have they ever been serious pain? Did you have nausea or light sensitivity? I asked about headaches because a certain type of migraine can cause the vestibular and cognitive symptoms you describe. There are generally no headaches during these times, but it is generally necessary to have a history of headache at some point in life.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
(female)

devons HB User

the mass is under the skin. it is quite significant in size. i can't believe i did not notice it before, but it is not visible when looking at my neck and i cannot feel it without really pressing and poking. it is just to the left of the front middle of my neck. my neighbor is a nurse. she felt it last night and said possibly it is pressing against an artery that could be intermittently be cutting off oxygen to my brain. ??? as for a heart situation, i saw on the dr. oz show that a crease on one's ear [near where a woman has a typical piercing] could be indicitive of a heart condition. i do happen to have on my left ear a definite crease, but not on my right ear. other than feeling lightheaded, as if i am starting to short-circuit, and now a daily thing of starting to feel light, subtle dizziness, there are no other symptoms. no headaches, nausea or light sensitivity. just a mention, throughout the years, there will be once a year where my neck will not turn. very stiff and painful. however, i always associate this to maybe i am sleeeping wrong. btw i sleep great pretty much 9 out of 10 nights.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

I am glad you are seeing an ENT on Monday. Its possible that the mass could be contributing to dizziness, like the nurse friend said. But there are many causes of dizziness, so its really hard to say.

It wouldnt hurt to cut out dairy products and gluten for a while just to see what happens. But I really doubt that this has anything to do with the problem. Im not a doctor, but I have heard that some conditions are exacerbated by allergies to these substances. I would recommend doing some of your own research on those two topics and decided whether that is something worthwhile.

Can you give me as much info as possible about your headaches?

Last edited by bindar; 07-30-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
(female)

devons HB User

quite honestly, the only headache i have had [that i can remember] was a couple weeks ago, but that was because i had a few glasses of wine the night before. as i mentioned, i am not really a drinker. if i had to describe that headache, it would be as if i drank the night before. easily solved by a couple of motrin. following up on the very scientific ear crease, yesterday i went to see a cardiologist at cleveland clinic. he absolutely does not think i have a heart condition, but said if the ENT thinks i should have an EEG [?] to come back in. my own research skills have led me to name my mass as being the submental gland, or superhyroid gland. it has alot to do with the salivary glands and may explain my lightheadedness most frequently occurring at mealtime. i have asked my doctor to perscribe me amoxycillian. today will be day 3 of taking it. i thought in the event the swollen lymph node was just an infection, that the amoxycillian could decrease it somewhat by my appointment on monday. so far, it remains the same size, however i have only been taking the medicine for 2 days. again, from my own diagnosis, i am ruling out lymphoma, hodgkins, any type of cancers, as i am not nausceaus, losing weight, or any other typical symptoms. google informed me that perhaps a clogged salivary duct could be causing an infection, however no matter how may combinations of words i research, no where do i get anything about a swollen lymph node and lightheadedness, and especially not when it turns into mild dizziness. again, there is no pain associated. quite worrisome though. i am looking forward to monday for sure! as always, thank you bindar for your input!!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
(female)

devons HB User

BTW, i did quit dairy a few days ago as well. coffee is just not the same.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
(female)

devons HB User

Bindar, I apologize for not getting back to you after my ENT appointment on Monday. The doctor did several tests and also a few inner-ear maneuvers. Unfortunately it was another dead end diagnosis. At this point, I have seen every doctor. I tried all week to "psych" myself out of this; reassuring myself that we have no health issues in my family and also longevity in my family. However, after a few days of downtime, my "attack" happened in church this morning. !!!!!! I do everything right. Not depressed. Not stressed. At least not abnormally. My mother suggested I may be having panic attacks. I did Google that and actually the symptoms are fairly accurate. IDK. Itís very discouraging. I would like to visit a friend in NY this summer, but I am scared of this happening while on an airplane. What to do??? So, that's all I have to report. Thank you for all of your support and interest. If I ever get to the bottom of this I will be sure to post.

Oh, backing up to the crease on the ear. If anyone else is following these posts, the doctors said a crease is only relevant for a heart conditition if you have high cholesterol.

Closed Thread