It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
(female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
Re: vestibular neuritis..feeling nasty again. veterans help!

How are you feeling now? I see these posting were from 2011 and hoping you are recovered now. I was having the dizziness and vomiting in March 2012 and today still have feeling of being off and actualy a foggy feeling like I'm not here. Have any of you felt this way during the recovery process? Do you know of any over-the-counter medicines that have helped you feel more back to your self? I have a 5.5 month old that I need to be here for. I have so much anxiety about driving and doing things by myself because of this stupid thing. When it first happened, my mother stayed here for three weeks because I was feeling so bad and the horrible feeling is the worry and anxiety that it might happen again and when. I think that can make it worse and possibly bring it on. Is that your experience too? Any advice I would greatly appreciate.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User

I'm feeling great. I just had a three week minor little
Blip but that was preceded by months and months of awesomeness. I'm almost two years in and there's nothing I can't do. Except wear heels without having dizziness afterwards.
I drastically got better when I realized how much of what I was feeling was anxiety. Try as hard as you can to roll with it. This won't kill you and the worst is likely over. Now when I feel dizzy my first urge is to freak out. My second thought is this is temporary, may last a day or longer but freaking out will only make it worse. Really.. Work on the anxiety... I never thought what I was feeling was anxiety, I thought it was all cause by my ear. I hope you feel better ASAP!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to lovineachday For This Useful Post:
biteneck (06-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
(female)

Amy1007 HB UserAmy1007 HB UserAmy1007 HB UserAmy1007 HB User
Wink Re: vestibular neuritis..feeling nasty again. veterans help!

Hi everyone,

I am the OP of this thread. I am officially 2 weeks from being two years out from my initial attack. I have had a decent year since posting this. I'm a LONG way from where I was just a few months into VN. Although I still have hiccups from time to time- moments or hours of just being uncomfortable - I am able to drive, walk in a straight line again- go to the grocery without feeling like I'm gonna fall into a shelf- and recently I have been able to have a glass of wine. I was never a big drinker but I did enjoy the occasional glass of wine. I was afraid that the alcohol would bring on the dizziness - but so far so good. My vestibular PT always told me to move move move - and even when I feel uncomfortable I push through it. Whenever I have a rough patch I just slow down and a good night's rest usually takes care of it. This all happened two weeks after my third (and last) child was born. I had no clue what was happening. I went from being a very happy hands-on mom who just had her third chid to a bed bound dependent for the first few weeks of this. It couldn't have come at a worse time. My mother in law even moved in with us for six weeks to get us through the hellish times. All I can say is if you are reading this and are a newbie to VN - stay strong the worst will pass. It sucks-I felt like I was dying- like I would never have any sort of quality of life to speak of again. I mean you say you have VN- noone knows what you are talking about. Often times people say - " oh you just get dizzy" - um no this turns your life upside down.

IT GETS BETTER. If you do PT confide in your therapist. My therapist was a rock for me. She assured me that it would get better.She saw VN reguarly so she was one of the few who truly understood me. Don't believe any MD who says you can't have more than one episode of vertigo either. I had four and because I kept having episodes he was thinking Meniere's. Another older MD in the same practice saw me too and he said you can have numerous true vertigo episodes with VN. Hang in there. I still have discomfort but it's nothing I can't manage. Stay strong. You are not alone. I think about others who also have this- it's so scary at first. All I ever wanted was for someone to say you are not losing your mind. You are sick, apart of your balance center is no longer functioning. Get the help you need from a REAL VESTIBULAR PT. Stay positive my friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amy1007 For This Useful Post:
lovineachday (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User

Amy, even tho I am long past the worst of VN, I found your post extremely validating. My experience and feelings were so similar. Howawful to go through that with a newborn. My "baby" was 1 and it was so hard to be bedridden, hearings mom and husband and kids downstairs. I wish someone had told me then to try to push through and keep on moving. I'm really glad to hear you are doing much, much better, as am I. A silver lining I suppose is that I am much more grateful for my health. Life is good Thanks for posting!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovineachday For This Useful Post:
Amy1007 (06-15-2012), biteneck (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
(female)

Did any of you have brain fog with this where you felt like you weren't there or you were spacey and out of it? I just felt really woozy today while in the shower. Thankfully my husband was here and I asked him to stay in the bathroom until I came out. I felt like I could pass out. I am feeling a little shakey now. Probably nervousness about the episode. Did you feel like you could pass out with this wooziness? Thanks for your info.
Nicole

Old 06-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
(female)

Yes I did. Showers were rough for a while. I think low blood pressure was partly to blame. I would get that puke or pass out feeling. Try keeping the water warm not hot and keep your legs moving. Sometimes that helped. Other times i would have to cut it short in the middle of washing my hair, it just felt so bad.
I saw a whole thread somewhere on showers. people talking about what they thought was the reason for feeling gross in the shower.
Hang in there! This too shall pass!!

The Following User Says Thank You to lovineachday For This Useful Post:
biteneck (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
(female)

Not to be dramatic but everything was awful for the first few months. My upstairs hallway is a catwalk(staircase as a hall) and I couldn't walk without holding on to both sides for about 8 weeks. I was literally walking like a toddler. I tripped over my own feet for awhile.I threw up regularly at first. Grocery stores and stores in general were hell. I did only short as needed trips- my pt told me stores are bad because there is so much stimuli. I kept a swimmy feeling in my head. I also felt like a pendulum was constantly moving in my head or that my brain was flipping. I couldn't drive at all for about 8 weeks and it took 4 months or so to feel comfortable driving solo. I started feeling much better about 4 months along. It's weird because I'd have a few days that were great then I would have a few days that were horrible. The good stretches got much longer as time went on. Now two years out I get moments or hours of discomfort. I notice when my kids are more demanding or I'm just exhausted is when I'm more vulnerable to setbacks. I also can no longer do high impact workouts. Any extreme movement sets it off for me too. I do lots of walking. Stay positive!!!

biteneck (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
(female)

Hello again,
When you say you have some discomfort now, is it really bad again or just feeling like blah for a day? How is it in shopping stores now? I still am having those foggy headed feelings and slight dizziness with the stomach feel queasy. I am into 3.5 months of this. How long did you say you both had this? Thanks again. I'm sorry I'm so annoying with questions, but I get worried that this will never end and that makes my anxiety really bad, which I never had anxiety like this. I am still so afraid to drive. I used to absolutely love driving. Any idea when I might feel more comfortable with that? Thanks so much! I really appreciate your replies!

The following user gives a hug of support to biteneck:
Amy1007 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
(female)

No problem with the questions- not to sound cheesy but I want others who are new to this to know that it gets better and that they are not alone. When I say discomfort I mean I have times (hours or minutes of light dizziness or feeling unbalanced). Kind of like when you have a headache - you notice it but it doesn't necessarily stop you from getting through your day. In the beginning a bad day was really bad, like I said before most of the time when I feel uncomfortable a good night's rest or nap takes care of things. Often times, I felt drunk. Sounds alot like what you are experience with the foggy feeling. That wasall part of my experience. Here's something I often think of- if I had dislocated, broken, or torn some body part I woud feel it from time to time. So inner ear damage really is no different. I was tested by my ENT - I have a %45 loss- so even though I have compensated I will sometimes experience setbacks. My mom had a torn rotator cuff bc of a car accident- even though she had surgery and had PT she still has pain in her shoulder sometimes- same with our vestibular nerves. As mentioned before- my PT told me to move move move - the more you move the more you compensate. Start out slow, take walks, even when it hurts. Go with someone. Moving speeds recovery. I would encourage you to get real vestibular rehab. People who specialize in it really know their stuff and they can taylor your treatment. I would do a web search on vestibular rehab for you city. My ENT sent me to the wrong PT, and the guy had no clue what e wss treating me for. It set me back a few weeks. Take it one step at a time, you will get better. Recovery is not the sae for everyone. Even if you read something on te web about recovery times - it's not the same for everyone. I kept thinking - omg- this is taking so much longer than all of the literature and information says- but you will see progress! Get lots of rest, stay positive!

biteneck (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
(female)

Wink Re: vestibular neuritis... feeling nasty again. veterans help!

Loveineachday,

How are you feeling now? Yeah I laid in bed while my oldest had his 5th birthday party downstairs. Just to know that we aren't alone is extremely encouraging.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
(female)

Thanks AMY1007!
I have been told that alot of people start really noticing an improvement around six months. So I have another couple months to go. Today I felt woozy in the shower and then while at the Dollar Tree store with my husband, I felt that weird out of it foggy thing about 3-4 times. It seems a lot worse in stores. I was told that's because of all the stimulation around and the lights. I felt so strange that it almost feels like you might pass out. So lightheaded and weird. I hate those feelings! I just want it to stop and my husband keeps telling me to have patience. I want to but it is so hard to at times. I really do notice a difference since March. So it does seem better but ever so slowly! Thanks again for your encouragement and words of advice!

Old 06-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #27
(female)

Re: vestibular neuritis... feeling nasty again. veterans help!

I'm good!! Really good! I have the odd blip now but it's like Amy said. Just mildly dizzy, no nausea. It's nothing that gets in my way of doing anything. I drive all the time. Sometimes after a long drive I feel a little off for a day or so but again, it's not awful. I work out, have a drink or two sometimes (not a big drinker generally anyway), do everything I used to. This is a two steps back three steps forward thing I think. I remember feeling awful after teo events, a christmas dance and a wedding. I wore heels, had 4-5 drinks and didnt get much sleep. Both of those events were 6 months after getting it(I was still having crappy phases) and a year later (I was feeling good but th wedding caused a decomp). Just try to enjoy the good days and try to keep the faith that the bad days will slowly go away. Again, do your best to keep the anxiety down if you can. I healed so much faster once I managed to do that.
Take care!!! Sending healing vibes!!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #28
(male)

khalid567 HB User

Hi all,

This all resonates with me so much. I too have a 45% loss in one of my ears. I was diagnosed with VN, and am 3 months into this. Luckily right at the beginning I read about the compensation process and not to take any medication - at the beginning I was literally falling over myself, but kept was trying to take 5 minute short walks, sit in the car with my girlfriend or try out a shop here and there. I pro

Everyday is such a struggle, but I just keep trying to move, move and move as you say. Sometimes it gets too much and I need to just sit back and relax. The nausea and intense waves of dizziness that come out of nowhere is really tough - it feels like you are going to fall of your chair or bed with a heavy bowling ball on your head.

I started some of the Cawthorne Cookesey exercises early on, before finally being referred for VRT for a formal programme 3 weeks a go. When you say make sure your therapist knows what they are doing, what exactly do you mean? What do you experience with a bad therapist?

Really good to hear about success stories and people can get back to some normality after 6 months or so.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #29
(female)

When I say make sure the pt knows what they are treating you for I mean I was referred to someone who thought he was treatingme for Bppv- totally threw me off for a week or two. It's all very ranfom- I kept a daily log on my ipad and listed how I felt each day- then I stopped posting unless I would have bad days. I posted less and less as time went on. It all takes time, but it gets better.

khalid567 (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #30
(male)

khalid567 HB User

Thanks for that Amy.

My PT def knows she is treating a Labs/VN disorder. She has thrown in some Brandt-Daroff exercises for good measure to avoid any BPPV element surfacing as it can with this I have heard - quite proactive of her I thought. The exercise I am referring to is laying down side to side and takes around 10 mins a day - it can't hurt.

Apart from that I am getting all the standard stuff - various foot positions eyes closed, various head movements, gaze stabilisation, playing on the wii fit, bit of table tennis. In total it takes me roughly 1 hr per day, so split it up into 3/4 15 minute sessions which helps with not getting overly dizzy. Does this sounds about right to you?

Closed Thread