It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

bexta89 HB User
Relieved to know I'm not so alone

Hi everyone,
I'm 22 years old and have been suffering with a variety of symptoms for the past few months. I guess that doesn't seem quite so long compared to some of the stories I have read on here, but it seems like a lifetime to me.
A few years ago I had a really serious sinus infection. After that cleared up I began having a few dizziness episodes, especially when out an about. It wasn't vertigo, but more of an unsteadiness and I needed to hold onto someone/something until it passed. I would also tend to veer to the left when walking if it happened.

Then a few months ago it began happening when I was just sitting around at home. I feel like I'm on a boat sometimes, bobbing up and down. If I don't have flat, solid ground beneath my feet, it feels a lot worse. I also have fullness and pressure in the ears, but rarely any ear pain. I've had headaches (which I think are caused by tension) and I often have a sore neck, possibly because I get so tense about the possibility of getting dizzy.
My concentration is shot, I find that I can type a whole sentence and there are millions of mistakes that I need to go back and correct, which never used to happen.
I'm very sensitive to certain noises (vacuum cleaners, drills, hammers) and have trouble hearing people speak to me when in noisy places. The dizziness also increases in crowded places.
My eyes tend to unfocus easily and at night when I close them it feels like the eyeball is moving ever so slightly.

My GP thought it was blood pressure at first, so I made sure to drink lots of fluids when going out. Then she thought it could be a buildup of sticky mucus in the sinuses and keeps telling me to do steam inhalations to fix it. I saw another GP while she was away and he gave me a nasal spray to see if it was a eustachian tube blockage. The spray allowed my right ear to pop slightly (I should mention that I can RARELY pop my ears). I stopped using the spray after it gave me some nosebleeds.

I've been seeing a chiropractor on the advice of a friend who is actually studying to become one. The benefits were great at first and it seemed to be improving, but now this week the dizziness is back in full force.

I've suffered with social anxiety and depression for about 10 years and this while situation has sent me backwards. I have an appointment with a psychologist tomorrow (this will be the fifth one I have seen over the years) to help me work on those issues. However I tend to avoid going out, I got my licence 5 months ago and yet I don't drive anymore because I don't want a dizzy episode to cause an accident and harm other people or myself.

I'm sorry if this is such a long read, I'm just glad I have found a place where others are just as confused and frustrated about these kinds of things. Hopefully I can find some clues and next time I see my GP I can ask for her to look further into it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Relieved to know I'm not so alone

ALL the symptoms you mention sound like textbook case of migraine associated vertigo. Sound sensitivity, headaches, a rocking sensation, ear pressure, cognitive difficulty, all of these are common with MAV. The headaches you experience are probably related to migraine.

Talk to a neurologist about this condition.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User
Re: Relieved to know I'm not so alone

Hang in there!! Inner ear issues DO suck. Bigtime, some days. You aren't alone. Just try to focus on the fact that it could ALWAYS be worse. If you do have MAV, hopefully you can get some help to manage and get back to feeling good again.

Closed Thread