It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User
Question Not-so-nice mornings...

Hi guys..

I have always had this question and am finally asking it.
(FYI, I am 15 months into VN... have had some 99% weeks but am currently not having one of those.)

For those with VN/Labs, are mornings usually the worst for you? I can feel SO awful some mornings... I wake up before my alarm, feeling very nauseous and can't always get back to sleep. I get up, sometimes get sick and barely get through my morning routine. But then by afternoon, I feel fine again.

Is this normal? And is there anything I can do? I think I did too many VRT exercises last night in my impatience to get through this decomp phase and had an awful morning. My husband had to stay home from work because I couldn't get the kids off to school. Trying to stay positive tho, and waiting for a 99% day.

Thanks in advance...

Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

breazie HB User
Re: Not-so-nice mornings...

Hi,
I was just wondering how you got your diagnosis.
I'm about 8 mths into either Mav or
Vn and ESP in the beginning the mornings were horrific. I would wake up really nauseous and trembling. The mornings are still not the greatest but are better, fingers crossed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User

I went to an ENT and it was found I had damage in one ear and nothing on the MRI. He did say initally it could be MAV or VN. It came upon suddenly, was terrible at the beginning, and have slowly progressed to where i am now. I have had many weeks and sometimes a month at a time where I feel great but then I get a cold or go on a vacation and I decompensate. Mornings are rough for a bit but then I usually quickly compensate. I had back to back colds and then went on a trip.. Just having some trouble getting back on top again.

So you don't have a diagnosis yet? Do you mind sharing your symptoms? Do you think you have VN or MAV?

I get frequent migraines and I've wondered
About MAV but I'm pretty sure I'm going back and forth between compensating and decompensating. I feel like two different people... A brutal morning person and a normal evening person.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
(female)

breazie HB User

It all started abruptly in February of this year for me. One evening I got really nauseous all of a sudden and felt ill until bed. I woke up the next morning extremely dizzy, I'll say vertigo bc there has been a ton of false motion/rocking and unsteadiness but not spinning type. I was really nauseous a lot in the beginning and lost a little weight but that has gotten better and I've gained the weight back :-(
I've been to a lot of doctors had a lot of tests, I think the general consensus is inner ear, the caloric said 32% weaker on right side. But ENT says should've compensated by now so something else must be going on as well. Neurologist says that some of my symptoms to resemble migraine and do have family history. So after 8 mths and still having a lot of bad days I really don't know what to think/believe.
I know part of my problem is the anxiety and fearing the worst. My father died of ALS at age 61, so every neurological problem I have I think that must be it, but at 27 that would be horrible.
I'm currently awaiting my dr hain consultation hoping for a more definitive diagnosis. I did start a low dose of verapamil about 2 weeks ago in case of migraine. Im a med phobic so I k ow I need a higher dose for any noticeable effects.
My daily symptoms currently are head pressure / pain, off balance/ unsteady. When sitting still I feel like Ill fall over, always lean to my right side. I can stand on one foot but if I close my eyes I'll lose my balance instantly!
From reading all of these boards and other research it seems once the balance system gets messed up for whatever reason it takes a lot of time/ patience to recover and even so may never be the same

Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

You said the ENT feels you should have compensated by now.. But if you hang out here enough, you'll find many of us who aren't the textbook 2-3 week case. That said I do have faith that we will fully recover. I'm sorry for all you're going through. It isn't easy, that's for sure. Thank goodness I have more good days than bad... Knowing the decompensation phases always abruptly end keeps me from getting down. Because feeling awful sucks bigtime!

I hve never really had the spinning kind of vertigo either. When i forst got sick i thought the floor wasnt level. Nasty feeling. I seem to have very distinct good and not so good phases. I decompensate for 2-3 weeks and then I'm good for a while (a month or two). I just started keeping track of my good days and bad days so I can clearly see my progression.

For me, I can handle the dizziness. It's the nausea that gets to me. I also lost weight, almost 10 pounds in the first 6 months. I've gained most of it back too now when I decomp I eat less because of how I feel but am usually hungry by dinner.

Good luck with your consult! You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
(female)

Just another thought... 6 months in, I started doing activities on our Wii Fit board. It's amazing VRT. I read online that some PT offices are using it now. there are a ton of balance games and activities. I got out of the habit... I really should get back into it.

Just FYI

Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
(female)

Hmmmm.... a new thought. Does anyone think anxiety could play a part in nasty mornings? Usually my first thought is, "What kind of morning is THIS going to be?" I did some deep breathing this morning at 5:30 when I woke up a little nauseous and I was actually able to doze off again. And my morning was pretty good once I got up. Going to pay more attention to this and see if I'm onto something... I'd be SO glad if the awful feeling (or some of it) were within my control!!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
(female)

breazie HB User

I know that the anxiety is a huge problem for me with all of this. Yes that is my same thought ever morning I wake as well, it sucks! It becomes a vicious cycle, I get anxious about how I feel and if I'm feeling bad or get really dizzy/ unsteady the anxiety magnifies and I feel even worse! I hate it but glad I can recognize it, helps the sanity a little...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
(female)

txmacdee HB User

Reading the post here about many of you I just wanted to bring up the following. Have you tired Upper Cervical Chiropractic ? Or look up Nucca (National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association).
***When the head is out of alignment, the rest of the body will twist causing one shoulder to drop down, one hip to be pulled up, etc. This twisting is not visible to anyone not looking for it. But the resulting conditions are well known to all, including: migraines, herniated discs, dizziness, fibromyalgia, allergies, asthma, chronic neck and back pain, and many others. ***

This may help with some of the things you are experiencing, especially when waiting for other test of treatments you may need. I know we did this with my daughter and many other things as we waited and tried to get a diagnosis for her which took 3 1/2 years (finally she was diagnosed with Palutous Eustachian Tube). When we did take her to an Upper Cervical Chiropractor, we found out she was badly out of alignment and this at least helped her even if not in the areas of our main focus of her complaints.

I hope this information helps some of you, As dealing with these types of things are really a pain, and effect our lives.

When the head is out of alignment, the rest of the body will twist causing one shoulder to drop down, one hip to be pulled up, etc. This twisting is not visible to anyone not looking for it. But the resulting conditions are well known to all, including: migraines, herniated discs, dizziness, fibromyalgia, allergies, asthma, chronic neck and back pain, and many others.

Closed Thread