It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

dizmom HB User
Losing hope... dizziness gone but vision messed up.

I have been stalking this board for awhile and finally decided to post. I'm losing hope that I will ever feel "normal" again.

On July 12 I was EXTREMELY stressed and driving...all of a sudden my vision just seemed to tilt and slide to the left...violently. I pulled of the road...felt extremely off and my vision felt weird. I got a headache immediately...drove home and went to bed. Felt fine the next morning....over the next two weeks I felt weird on and off. Slightly dizzy...vision felt funny and then I would feel fine. On July 25 it happened again in the car but I didn't get that initial vertigo attack...I just felt really lightheaded and woozy....drove home...went to bed...woke up and still there. This is when it all became constant. My vision issues were the constant part of it and the dizzy/rocking boat sensation was only when I moved. Headaches were occuring on and off but I put that off to stress as I have always gotten headaches when stressed. I could feel something off with my left side...I would sway my body to left and my head would get a tightening feeling/dizziness. I also could drop my left ear to left shoulder and felt as if I would just fall over....this would not happen with my right side.

Went to primary and had CBC bloodwork done and was given Meclizine...was told it was vertigo with migraines. Meclizine did not help....but ibprofuen did somewhat. My husband is a chiropractor and works in a medical building so I went ahead and had an MRI done and it was completely normal. I went to a neurologist and she scared me basically with all this ridiculous testing she wanted done...so I didn't go back to her. I went to an ENT next and he told me I had VN...he gave me prednisone. I took and it and felt AMAZING thought it was all behind me and with each day on the steroid I felt better...until the doses went down to 20mg and I had I guess what I think is now a third vertigo attack. Went back to ENT and he suggested VNG.

My balance started feeling better by the time I had the VNG but my eyes/vision was off 24/7.

VNG showed slight weakness in my left and 4 beats of nystagmus on left dix hallipike test. Test also showed a bilateral pursuit (tracking) loss of 50% and saccade latency?? of 20%.

They said I had BPPV and also central pathology was suggested. They told me to do MRI and I told them already had one and it was negative. So they just did the epley procedure 3 times. Honestly didn't feel much relief with it...but time seemed to correct my balance issues.

I had another person read my VNG results and he said it was VN ...very likely if prednisone helped so much.

So now I have to say that my balance issues are pretty much gone...I only feel it if I get extremely stressed with a bad headache. What is left is these on and off headaches and the 24/7 vision problems (tracking and saccades). I can drive short distances again and can go in a shopping mall or grocery store for lengthy times but it is still visually taxing. I use to not be able to go in stores at all without wanted to run out screaming! I have always felt so much better outside!

I don't think I ever had BPPV...but I wonder if I had VN or have MAV. Though if it was MAV wouldn't balance still be an issue....?

I'm in so much emotional pain and losing hope that my eyes will ever be normal again and don't understand why my eyes are still messed up when my balance is basically back. I started zoloft today but I also have a Topamax prescription that I haven't taken....

I am about a year postpartum and I think I have had issues with that before all this dizzy stuff started. I think being a new mom is what makes this so hard. I have this beautiful daughter and I can't fully be her mommy right now and it hurts so much. I want more children but won't have them with my eyes like this. Waking up and feeling like my old self would be a dream come true and now realize more than ever how much we can take our health for granted but I guess we don't realize what we have until it is lost.

If anyone had any suggestions or similar experience with the eyes it would be greatly appreciated....I feel like I am losing more and more hope. I was gaining it as the dizziness went away but now my eyes are not so I feel like this is my new normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Losing hope...dizziness gone but vision messed up.

First of all, have you considered that the visual symptoms might be a migraine aura?

Secondly, you mention that bad headaches are frequent, this definitely supports the migraine suspicion.

Thirly, vertigo is extremely common with migraine.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

dizmom HB User

I haven't ever had what is defined as "aura." Just the tracking and saccades...and it has been 24/7 for 4 months now. The vertigo has faded over time and I do feel tinges of it from time to time but it isn't always with the headaches.

Therapy and activity have always made me feel better so I'm hesitant to say my issues are related to migraine....I have always leaned towards VN but I don't hear much about people having these eye issues with VN...at least once the dizziness has cleared.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

You said the event started when your vision tilted, that could be caused by an aura. An aura can cause any type of visual distortion, including tilting.

However, the continuous vision issues that you mention are not caused by an aura. Almost every confirmed MAV patient I have met experiences some degree of visual problems.

The fact that you experienced a headache proceeded by a visual distortion sounds like a textbook case of classic migraine. Most migraine suffers also say they just want to crawl into bed when their symptoms start, and I find it interesting that this is what you did.

Lastly, you mentioned headache several times during your post, and it sounds like these headaches are somewhat of an interference with life. You need to discuss the possibility of migraine with a physician.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
(female)

dizmom HB User

I appreciate your response. I guess I should just go ahead and try the Topamax. Migraine makes alot of sense I guess... I was just thrown by the dizziness that started at the same time as my other symptoms... yet the dizziness is gone now. Wish my other symptoms would have gone with it...I sure hope the topamax helps. Thanks again.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Losing hope... dizziness gone but vision messed up.

I wish I could help! I have no advice for you, unfortunately. I just wanted to let you know that I care, and I hear that you are upset (and rightfully so). I hope you can get the answers to fix your problem very quickly.

blessings, Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
bindar (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizmom View Post
I appreciate your response. I guess I should just go ahead and try the Topamax. Migraine makes alot of sense I guess... I was just thrown by the dizziness that started at the same time as my other symptoms... yet the dizziness is gone now. Wish my other symptoms would have gone with it...I sure hope the topamax helps. Thanks again.
Let us know how the Topamax works. It has been proven to be very effective. If you dont improve after 6 weeks on Topamax, try another class of preventative.

Closed Thread