It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
(male)

MR11287 HB User
Labrynthitis treatments and medications

I have had labrynthitis for 10 weeks now. My vertigo/dizziness has improved since I began physical therapy 3 weeks ago. The part that has been really difficult for me has been the anxiety associated with it. My physical therapist and primary decided that I should take Prozac. I have taken it for the past 3 days and the dizziness and vertigo is back as bad as ever.

My ENT told me that I should not be taking any AD's because they will make my balance worse. I brought that to my GP and PT and they both said that is not true. I really want to take it if it will help with my anxiety, but it is not worth it if it is going to set me back from all of my hard work at physical therapy.

I just really want to know if anyone else has taken anything like Zoloft or Prozac to help with their labrynthitis, or if it is just better to avoid medications and just continue with physical therapy.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

IdyllicLife HB UserIdyllicLife HB User
Re: Labrynthitis treatments and medications

After being Dx with an inner ear disorder in July 2011, I almost immediately began VRT. The therapy helped with my dizziness. One of the most debilitating symptoms I had through this whole experience was the anxiety. I chose not to take medication for the anxiety, although I was prescribed Xanax by my GP. I have instead been receiving CBT for 4 months now and it has done wonders. I used to rate my anxiety at an 8-10 (on a scale of 1-10) when this all began. It has slowly but surely gone down, and now I can say that my anxiety is at around 2-3 (which my counselor says is typical of anyone because we all have daily stresses in our lives). I would highly recommend CBT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
(male)

MR11287 HB User
Re: Labrynthitis treatments and medications

Thank you very much for the reply. I have heard about that as well, and heard that it does wonders. Another thing I have really been struggling with is the tingling/uncomfortable feeling right in the back of my head. It's like immediate pressure that just feels so uncomfortable. Do you ever get that feeling? Also, have you taken any meclizine, ibuprofen, or antihistamines? I try to take nothing as much as possible, but the antihistamines and ibuprofen have been a must for me. I have cut the meclizine down a lot recently. I only take that when I absolutely need to drive or focus at work.

Closed Thread