It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

Amber75 HB User
To have calorics or not?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with a bit of a dilemma. I'm really sorry that this post is so long, but I think a bit of background is needed first...

I've been ill for almost 20 years, have a diagnosis of M.E but also have a symptom that has yet to be explained. I have regular dizzy spells and an almost constant disequilibrium. Sitting on ordinary chairs is extremely uncomfortable and it feels like everything is moving slightly.

I have a new doctor, who has been incredibly helpful, and is determined to get to the bottom of what's causing this symptom, which debilitates my life more than any of the M.E symptoms.

I was sent to see an ENT consultant again recently (I had seen one early on in my illness and had had inner ear problems ruled out from the basic tests) and the audiogram and other basic tests produced normal results again. Purely because I've had this symptom for so long, the consultant decided to refer me for the caloric test just to make absolute sure that it's not an inner ear problem, but told me that it will be extremely unpleasant and is very likely to come back negative.

I was already beginning to doubt the logic in having this test, when the fact that it's a two hour long test and sounds invasive, could set the M.E back a bit let alone whatever is causing the main symptoms, and all for likely negative results. Then I received a series of forms to fill in to take with me to the test. They're basically a set of forms about anxiety and depression.

Some years back, when I didn't fit into the expected category by a neurologist, I was dismissed as likely having anxiety. The thing is, I DO have anxiety, but as a result of these scary and debilitating symptoms, rather than being the cause of them. Being diagnosed with anxiety pretty much stopped any further investigations, and I'm loathe to have that barrier back in place once again on the basis of a series of tick boxes that ask me questions such as "Do you feel frustrated because of your illness?" Funnily enough, after 20 years of this, yes I do but that doesn't mean it's the cause of my symptoms.

Anyway, what I would love some advice about is whether it is worth having this test, considering the unlikely outcome of any help or diagnosis based on the initial findings, and also does anyone know the significance of the forms about anxiety and depression please? I keep changing my mind about this, I have a letter ready to send to the doctor to explain why I've cancelled the appointment, but on the other hand I'm desperate to find out what the heck is causing this, so even if it is a very very slim chance of finding out, maybe I should go through with it anyway?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
(female)

Amber75 HB User
Re: To have calorics or not?

Please? Anyone? I really would appreciate any advice. My hearing is perfect and I've never had any trouble with my ears. Despite this, and the initial tests being normal, could this still be anything that would show up with caloric test?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
(female)

opus2828 HB User

The caloric test is not fun, that's for sure. I understand why you hesitate. I have had it done and also had the rotary chair test done. This also checks the ears. In fact, when my calorics came back normal, my doc wanted the rotart chair test because he said that if I had any problem with my inner ear, that this test would pick it up.
If I had a choice, knowing what both are like, I would pick the chair test. Why not ask your doc about this test?

The Following User Says Thank You to opus2828 For This Useful Post:
Amber75 (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
(female)

Amber75 HB User

The consultant has said that if the calorics come back normal then he wont need to see me again. From what you've said, I could still be wondering 'what if?' even if I do have the test.
The rotary test wasn't offered by the consultant at all, and my calorics test is this month. I know I have to make a decision soon, eek.
Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber75 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with a bit of a dilemma. I'm really sorry that this post is so long, but I think a bit of background is needed first...

I've been ill for almost 20 years, have a diagnosis of M.E but also have a symptom that has yet to be explained. I have regular dizzy spells and an almost constant disequilibrium. Sitting on ordinary chairs is extremely uncomfortable and it feels like everything is moving slightly.

I have a new doctor, who has been incredibly helpful, and is determined to get to the bottom of what's causing this symptom, which debilitates my life more than any of the M.E symptoms.

I was sent to see an ENT consultant again recently (I had seen one early on in my illness and had had inner ear problems ruled out from the basic tests) and the audiogram and other basic tests produced normal results again. Purely because I've had this symptom for so long, the consultant decided to refer me for the caloric test just to make absolute sure that it's not an inner ear problem, but told me that it will be extremely unpleasant and is very likely to come back negative.

I was already beginning to doubt the logic in having this test, when the fact that it's a two hour long test and sounds invasive, could set the M.E back a bit let alone whatever is causing the main symptoms, and all for likely negative results. Then I received a series of forms to fill in to take with me to the test. They're basically a set of forms about anxiety and depression.

Some years back, when I didn't fit into the expected category by a neurologist, I was dismissed as likely having anxiety. The thing is, I DO have anxiety, but as a result of these scary and debilitating symptoms, rather than being the cause of them. Being diagnosed with anxiety pretty much stopped any further investigations, and I'm loathe to have that barrier back in place once again on the basis of a series of tick boxes that ask me questions such as "Do you feel frustrated because of your illness?" Funnily enough, after 20 years of this, yes I do but that doesn't mean it's the cause of my symptoms.

Anyway, what I would love some advice about is whether it is worth having this test, considering the unlikely outcome of any help or diagnosis based on the initial findings, and also does anyone know the significance of the forms about anxiety and depression please? I keep changing my mind about this, I have a letter ready to send to the doctor to explain why I've cancelled the appointment, but on the other hand I'm desperate to find out what the heck is causing this, so even if it is a very very slim chance of finding out, maybe I should go through with it anyway?
Hi Amber:

Has your Doc explained to you what is involved in the Caloric test?
Basically they have a device that shoots different temperatures of water into your ear. We are not talking scalding hot or anything like that, it ranges from warm to fairly cold. I found the cold water the most uncomfortable.
It's not comfortable but then again it's not horrible or unbearable.
Just relaying my experience...everyone is different.
If it helps in your diagnosis it could be very worthwhile.
Express your fears or reservations about the test to your Doctor, I am sure he can help calm you down.

Closed Thread