It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

nik0lla HB User
Unhappy New to Tinnitus - help? =(

Hey Guys,

I've been recently diagnosed with Tinnitus (3 months ago). I visited an ENT doctor, they poked, proded, and asked every question under the sun and tada - found no plausible reasoning to my problem.

They said I would go back for another appointment in 6 months, but will that really solve anything?

I find the ringing is not getting better, some days it gets worse. It's in both of my ears, and sometimes I think I can hear almost.. multiple pitches? When I clench my jaw, the pitch goes slightly higher, and my wisdom teeth were removed years ago. I just don't know what to do. Most days I have the "I can conquor this!" mentality, but other days... it's just hard to live with.

I've heard that this Gingko Biloba stuff COULD help, anyone have any experience with this? And how long did it take for results to start happening?

I also have a bite plate I don't really use for my jaw clenching (it's just uncomforable..) but I've read that can be a cause as well. I've made the resolve to start using that again, and it's been about 5 days since I restarted on that. Similiar to the above question, anyone with a similar situation, if this did help, how long before you started seeing results?

Other than that, I can't really find any other methods that could relate to my cause, or anything that would be useful in "curing" the problem. I heard that issues with your thyroid can be the cause, but I've been going for many blood tests and my medication has it spot on - so says my doctor. I tried coming off my birthcontrol for a month, and no change with that either - so I'm back on it.

I'm able to sleep at night without white noise, but it's still - as everyone who has this knows - quite irritating.

So any advice from you guys would be incredibly appreciated, I just feel I'm at the end of my rope and Canadian medicare is useless right now -_-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
(male)

TVfan HB User
Re: New to Tinnitus - help? =(

Hi Nik0lla. I've had tinnitus 24/7 since last August. It can be a terrible thing to have to put up with. I find mine to be extremely distracting and any news from a doctor has been informative such as "Don't know if it'll go away", "Don't know what caused it", "you'll have to learn to live with it".

I saw an audioologist for a hearing test about two months ago, she told me she suffers from Tinnitus as well. One thing she recommended was to listen to music whenever I can. Not a bad idea as it seems to drown out the tinnitus, that or just distracts me from paying attention to it. All this to say, it's a long arduous road. Wish I could have better suggestion for you. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

RavenSkies777 HB User

Hi nik0lla,

I know exactly how you feel. I have had tinnitus since 2006. It started due to the fact that I have TMJ and Fibromyalgia. It can be so frustrating to live with because the ringing is ALWAYS there. It can be hard to distract yourself (I'm struggling today) but you mustn't give up!

I hope you do decide to wear your bite plate every night. Is it custom fitted by your dentist or one that you got at the store? The ones from the store are not nearly as good. I tired those and found them to be horrid. My dentist made a custom one for me and while it was expensive it's definitely worth the money. Unfortunately mine broke last year and I have not been able to afford a new one just yet. I'm waiting for my spouse's medical benefits to kick in (October!!) and then I can be on his plan as well. I think I can honestly say that my tinnitus has grown louder over the year since being without my bite plate. It helps support my jaw joints and takes the pressure off there which is a big cause for tinnitus. I too grind my teeth when I sleep.

Having some white noise to distract you while you're sleeping I find beneficial. White noise machines can be expensive though. If you have an iPod or iPhone there are apps you can ******** that do the same thing. That's what I use on nights when my ears just won't let me rest.

I have also heard that ginkgo biloba can help but have yet to try. It can take a few months before you notice any changes and I have also read that taking ginkgo with certain other meds (including one I am on) can increase risk of seizures.

Hang in there, we're all in this together.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
(male)

bhusan HB User

i have this crazy driving thing tinnitus from 4 weeks just after i had my ear surgery (myringoplasty) for second time for perforated ear drum ..can u please help me with any reply if u know anything that will my tinnitus persist forever or will it get lower with time or will it go away ..please

Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
(male)

JimB HB User

I've had it for years, and there doesn't seem to be any way to predict when it will worsen or lessen. Sometimes it virtually goes away for months and then comes back unexpectedly. I haven't found gingko biloba to be helpful. I've read that excess sodium in the diet may cause it to worsen, but there doesn't seem to be any sound evidence to support it. If you have a lot of sodium in your diet, you may want to cut back and see if it helps. Can't hurt to try.

Last edited by JimB; 04-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
(male)

bhusan HB User

i just went through the cause for the tinnitus. it says that any damage in the hair like fiber (responsible for the transmission of a sound wave inside war) which is inside inner ear would cause to generate random electric pulse which brain interprets as a sound. these sounds are self generated and we know this as a tinnitus ..this happens when one is exposed to loud music for a long time which damage this fiber and can be permanent or temporary, and other causes are old age, much waxes inside ear ...but i wonder how normal, young people wake up with tinnitus. As concern to me i am suffering from tinnitus from the 2nd day of my ear operation and has past 1 month and still i hear ..i do not know the exact reason nor do my ENT Surgeon (1 of the expert in my country) and he says "it may go, no one knows the reason for this not do we have any medicine , but your tinnitus may go because it is very rare to have just due to operation" ..i am though positive to this but i greatly feel how is it to be like a tinnitus sufferer ..may god bless and find easy cure very fast in the future

Reply Reply

Tags
tinnitus, tinnitus cause